User panel stuff on forum
  33 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Server Talk
2011-03-10, 00:33
383 posts

Jan 2006
Hello everyone.

Some time ago QQshka implemented support for Q3 in QWfwd.
And it opens an opportunity to dramatically increase the number of proxies around the globe.

The scheme is already tested in Russia.
Check http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/t=proxy/ .
You can see 8 proxies and only one of them ( playground ) is true qw one.

All we need is to publish somewhere a manual about how to do it and promote it on different q3 resources, e.g. forums, esreality, etc.

Short descriptions:

How to install:
http://qwfwd.qw-dev.net/wiki
Win32 build: http://qw-dev.net/attachments/download/282/qwfwd_10_03_2011_SVN_win32.zip

How to use in q3:
1. /setu prx < ip:port of q3 server which you want to connect >
2. /connect < ip:port of QWFWD server >
3. As soon as you see the message "Reconnect ASAP!" you should write in the console /reconnect

That is it.

Can someone try the scheme, post standalone manual of how to easily install and use it and other people will promote it on q3 sites?
With best wishes, B1aze.
2011-03-10, 01:28
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Wrong forum, moved to server talk.
Servers: Troopers
2011-03-10, 01:36
383 posts

Jan 2006
And seems like no all people know how to use qwproxy in ezquake.
All you need is to type /cl_proxyaddr proxy_ip:port then /connect server_ip:port .
You can also use it in server browser with /sb_showproxies 1 .
With best wishes, B1aze.
2011-03-10, 03:07
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
That's a good idea B1aze, but those installation instructions needs quite an update.

First off the "Using files section" link gives a 403, also there is no way to get the example config unless you get it from the repository.
The example config is more like a readme, than an actual config.

So if it should be pushed to q3/cpma, someone needs to make an easy to install package with a proper setup. One thing that is very important is that they need to be using a master server, else we won't even know that they are running.

Do you know if someone manually added those russian qwfwds to quakeservers.net, or are they actually sending heartbeats to a master server?
2011-03-10, 03:45
383 posts

Jan 2006
It is definitely needed some work to check if everything works and easy to install.

According to qqshka, qwfwd send heartbeats to few master servers, but as for quakeservers.net, you need to send a request to add a server to they database.

Example: http://www.quakeservers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211
With best wishes, B1aze.
2011-03-10, 06:27
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Does it send heartbeats if nothing is set in the config?

What you say about quakeservers.net isn't true tho, you can manually add servers, but it will also get and and new servers from the active master servers.
2011-03-10, 07:46
1435 posts

Jan 2006
B1aze wrote:
All you need is to type ...

Or they can simply use Best Ping Route Lookup and not be bothered about what is a proxy or how to use it.
2011-03-10, 10:45
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Zalon wrote:
That's a good idea B1aze, but those installation instructions needs quite an update.

It happens that QWFwd works directly after doing ./configure and make, you don't need any additional files or some some specific directory structure. Just copy it someplace and run it like the installation istructions suggest.

Zalon wrote:
First off the "Using files section" link gives a 403, also there is no way to get the example config unless you get it from the repository. The example config is more like a readme, than an actual config.

Fixed the link, obviously qw-dev has gone through some changes and the old links don't work anymore.

QWFwd is made in a way, that the only two things you might want to change are the hostname and the sys_readstdin (this variable is explained in the installation istructions) and maybe the port it listens to. Everything else defaults to proper default values, so it will send heartbeats, it will have master servers known, and it also queries all the master servers it knows making best route lookup available.

Surely there are other commands and variables available, but even those are defaulted in a way that they shouldn't need changes. QWFwd is very different from MVDSV or KTX in the terms of needing to configure it at all.
2011-03-10, 15:37
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Renzo wrote:
QWFwd is made in a way, that the only two things you might want to change are the hostname and the sys_readstdin (this variable is explained in the installation istructions) and maybe the port it listens to. Everything else defaults to proper default values, so it will send heartbeats, it will have master servers known, and it also queries all the master servers it knows making best route lookup available.

Ok cool, I discussed this with qqshka when I requested that he would add master server support, but I couldn't remember how the defaults got to be.

However, the example config is still not "easy" to get your hands on, unless you use the repository. Maybe link to it where it says "Copy EXAMPLE_qwfwd.cfg as qwfwd.cfg to the directory where qwfwd.bin is", or add a description of the settings on that page?
2011-03-10, 16:56
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I'll just include it with the build from now on, that should do it. At some point I should probably also write some cmdlist/variablelist wiki too.
2011-03-11, 03:21
383 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
B1aze wrote:
All you need is to type ...

Or they can simply use Best Ping Route Lookup and not be bothered about what is a proxy or how to use it.

I tried it yesterday and the feature does not work for me.
I downloaded latest eu server list, added it to ez. Enabled sb_findroutes 1, refreshed SB and got zero servers with yellow ping.
But I know for sure that direct connect is not the best option for almost all of them.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2011-03-11, 08:08
1435 posts

Jan 2006
The yellow colorization was dropped in latest ezQuake versions. The manual page is outdated in this sense.
2011-03-11, 09:52
383 posts

Jan 2006
I have ezq 2.01, so yellow colorization is still present.
After I press [i], client answers to me that no any route path was found.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2011-03-11, 22:10
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Hm, actually why do you download the server list manually and then manually add it into SB? Standard ping+refresh on default source servers (Asgaard / QuakeServers.net) does not work for you? Because if that does not work then querying proxy servers for their ping list (necessity for route lookup feature) will not work either.

Paranoid firewall might be to blame here.
2011-03-11, 22:59
383 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Hm, actually why do you download the server list manually and then manually add it into SB? Standard ping+refresh on default source servers (Asgaard / QuakeServers.net) does not work for you? Because if that does not work then querying proxy servers for their ping list (necessity for route lookup feature) will not work either.

Paranoid firewall might be to blame here.

Yes, using Asgaard as a master returns zero servers for me.
I do not use a firewall and checked it with two different ISPs.
Besides that SB works fine.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2011-03-13, 11:06
950 posts

Apr 2006
Updated links in first post.
2011-03-15, 19:52
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
B1aze wrote:
Yes, using Asgaard as a master returns zero servers for me.

I don't think Asgaard is running anymore, else it's been moved or something, it havn't been answering for months atleast. However master.quakeservers.net:27000 works just fine.
2011-08-25, 05:53
14 posts

Aug 2010
Hey all.

I have got some qwfwd proxies going and a friend of mine is getting a problem connecting. He is trying to connect in both cnq3 and normal q3 client. He uses the correct command line of /setu serverip:port, /connect proxyip:port, /reconnect but is getting PRX USERINFO KEY IS NOT SET.

I have connected to the server with both ezquake and cnq3. Other people have connected. So its something with his setup. But he has tried two computers on two different networks (laptop wireless and normal dsl).

What could be causing this? I can't find any information anywhere for this. Would be nice to get some more info on qwfwd too like how they communicate and stuff.

Thanks for any help!

-Wasko
2011-08-25, 07:48
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
WaskoP wrote:
He uses the correct command line of /setu serverip:port, /connect proxyip:port, /reconnect but is getting PRX USERINFO KEY IS NOT SET.

Wrong. /setu prx serverip:port
2011-08-25, 10:04
14 posts

Aug 2010
lol typo.... have been doing that hehe.

Could it be some sort of firewall thing? He can connect to game servers with both the cnq3 client and normal q3, but not the proxy .
2011-08-26, 14:42
405 posts

Jan 2006
Well, dunno, seems like he is missing "/setu prx serverip:port".
You can ask him to check some other qwfwd proxy, which is 100% working for you and some other players, not sure that it gives though

Also, seems like his network is ok, since he is getting this "PRX USERINFO KEY IS NOT SET", so I doubt it is someissue with firewall or something. Most likely he is doing something wrong with "/setu".

Since you are q3 player, you can try ask for help in IRC on #promode.ru on quakenet, since as I got qwfwd mostly used by russian q3/cpma community
<3
2011-08-26, 18:22
14 posts

Aug 2010
Q3 player........ I spit at that. Spoze I could ask them too.

But yer as it turned out we got him to try another qwfwd server and he could connect to that. So then tried the first one and boom no problems... Bit of a weird one but sorted none the less.

I do have a question though. There was talk of connecting through multiple qwfwd proxy servers.. How would this be done if possible? And how do these servers actually talk to each other and how would that be of any help as it seems you can only connect through one at a time anyway...

Will these servers work better after the masters and quakeservers.net etc get updated or should they work straight away?

We have setup a few all over Australia and I am not really seeing any gains. There was one instance of a 15 ms gain for me connecting to a particular server but that has also stopped working for sum reason tonight as well hehe.

The routing here in auz is terrible and I thought these servers would do the trick but no good as of yet. Still more to be added though. Any pointers or anything would be great!

Thanks,

-Wasko
2011-08-27, 07:27
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
You can chain qwfwd proxies by linking them with an @ symbol, e.g:
cl_proxyaddr "proxy1.com:12345@proxy2.com:67890"

In terms of why you don't see big gains bear in mind that:
1) Routing is only part of the problem, in a country like Australia with big distances between the metropolitan centres high ping is a fact of life on some servers
2) Third party routing may not necessarily be much better than your own or at least is inconsistent... this is kinda stating the obvious but a qwdfwd is only any use if routing both from the client to the proxy, and the proxy to the server is good (this explains why the policy I've seen some players adopt of always using the same proxy because they have great ping there is a bit flawed).

Also regarding the best ping lookup feature in ezquake although it is good (especially for newbies) it is worth mentioning that it is not always 100% reliable. Sometimes you can make small gains of 1-2ms by manually choosing a different route... typically this scenario arises when it decides to use more proxies than necessary.

Not a criticism of the code per se as this could happen simply because when it is going its pinging, there was some irregularity in your connection causing the optimal route to ping higher than it normally does. But as a general point of principle I would recommend that serious players still keep a picture in their head of what their optimal routes (and expected ping) to certain servers they play on frequently are, so they can check if sb_findroutes is doing its job.
2011-08-27, 13:19
14 posts

Aug 2010
Ok great.

Thanks for your response that, has cleared it up for me.

U rock
2011-08-29, 16:31
405 posts

Jan 2006
that can be useful too.
<3
2011-08-30, 00:27
14 posts

Aug 2010
qqshka wrote:
that can be useful too.

Yer I found this somewhere. It's the best way to do it IMO. Really nifty.

With that command I dropped 15 ping to one server so yer it has done something!

Thanks for all your help./
2011-08-30, 20:07
405 posts

Jan 2006
In australia there is high pings as I know, whould be nice if you update servers and enable antilag if not yet so. This help much more than 15ms ping drop
<3
2011-11-19, 09:16
2 posts

Sep 2010
I've noticed that pangela and xs4all proxies are still using the old version of qwfwd without q3 support. Maybe some1 could tell me if there is some reason for that? And if there is no or it's just unknown, then who i could contact to ask to update qwfwd?
2014-05-20, 19:56
3 posts

May 2014
B1aze wrote:
Hello everyone.

Some time ago QQshka implemented support for Q3 in QWfwd.
And it opens an opportunity to dramatically increase the number of proxies around the globe.

The scheme is already tested in Russia.
Check http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/t=proxy/ .
You can see 8 proxies and only one of them ( playground ) is true qw one.

All we need is to publish somewhere a manual about how to do it and promote it on different q3 resources, e.g. forums, esreality, etc.

Short descriptions:

How to install:
http://qwfwd.qw-dev.net/wiki
Win32 build: http://qw-dev.net/attachments/download/282/qwfwd_10_03_2011_SVN_win32.zip

How to use in q3:
1. /setu prx < ip:port of q3 server which you want to connect >
2. /connect < ip:port of QWFWD server >
3. As soon as you see the message "Reconnect ASAP!" you should write in the console /reconnect

That is it.

Can someone try the scheme, post standalone manual of how to easily install and use it and other people will promote it on q3 sites?

Can anyobdy tell me how to do this with the latest version of GLQuakeWorld for Mac OS X? These commands are not recognized in my client. Neither /setu prx nor /cl_proxyaddr

Thanks.
2014-05-22, 08:57
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Use ezQuake for Mac OSX instead of GLQuakeWorld
  33 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page