User panel stuff on forum
  72 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
Capture the Flag
2011-02-03, 21:00
Member
226 posts

Registered:
Mar 2007
We all know it, atm Quakeworld's CTF mod is sick and disgusting, probably even illegal.
Nobody knows why there're runes in there, and what's the deal with the hook?

CTF means "Capture the Flag", not "Rape your fellow man with a hook meanwhile you're juggling with strenght and haste runes".

So.. I think everybody agrees that we need a SIMPLE CTF mode for Quakeworld, nothing fancy. Just 2 flags, maybe first in friendly environment, like Dm6 perhaps, then when we get used to the flags we can go into unknown territories, like e3m7!

Soo.. I've like no idea how to make such a mod? Progs.dat?! What?!

Help me
2011-02-03, 23:15
Member
186 posts

Registered:
Jan 2008
+1 buuu for hook & runes.
2011-02-03, 23:21
Member
2259 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
just implent two flags into KTX, make it two teams and anyone can join whenever and its done...
shouldnt be far from what KTX has right now
2011-02-04, 00:32
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
KTX have CTF but its turned off by default. All you need is "just" to get KTX/MVDSV from the svn trunk, compile it, extract files from this qwserver.zip to quakedir and change k_allowed_free_modes in ktx.cfg to allow CTF (ktx.cfg contain comments how to change k_allowed_free_modes).
<3
2011-02-04, 00:37
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
well, ofc you need to set up KTX normally first, then do this additional changes
<3
2011-02-04, 00:47
Administrator
1857 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
First off, read this.
Then, go here.
Look for a guy named deurk.
Bug him with your ideas.

Since no one is using the CTF gamemode in KTX, I'm sure he would be interested in making changes, if you have some ideas that would actually make people play it.

If you already have such ideas ready, and can describe them well, then you can always just submit a feature request.
2011-02-04, 06:49
Administrator
2051 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Moved to the CTF forum.

I tend to agree with Pektopahky's message though. I always liked Q2CTF and thought the hook and the runes were partly what made it so fun, but it really makes the QW version too messed up.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-02-04, 09:47
Member
950 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Thanks Zalon.

We could keep the current QW CTF and add a simpler option to disable hook and runes indeed.
2011-02-04, 10:54
Member
186 posts

Registered:
May 2007
One thing would be, that all server admins allow CTF to be voted. I tried it yesterday on a few (dybbuk, quakeworld.fi) and it seems that it is disabled server wise.
2011-02-04, 11:11
Administrator
1023 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Current KTX CTF mode works on removed now atleast. Have fun

EDIT: Seems like it doesnt.. QQSHKA: I don't wanna change ktx.cfg but just set to allow CTF in a particular port_ctf.cfg for a specific port.
This seems to work fine for the first time, but with a mapchange it gets fucked.. Solution?

And btw, whats set k_mode for? It says k_mode 4 == ctf, but that alone isnt enough.
2011-02-05, 04:30
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
deurk wrote:
Thanks Zalon.

We could keep the current QW CTF and add a simpler option to disable hook and runes indeed.

You can alredy toggle hook and runes in KTX ctf. Actually nothing wrong with KTX CTF it fully functional since it was ported by ultimo( USA dm/tdm/ctf player) and not only ported but they also played alot of CTF on KTX.
<3
2011-02-05, 04:57
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
fog wrote:
Current KTX CTF mode works on cuve.se:27510 now atleast. Have fun

EDIT: Seems like it doesnt.. QQSHKA: I don't wanna change ktx.cfg but just set to allow CTF in a particular port_ctf.cfg for a specific port.
This seems to work fine for the first time, but with a mapchange it gets fucked.. Solution?

And btw, whats set k_mode for? It says k_mode 4 == ctf, but that alone isnt enough.

1)
ktx.cfg executed on map change on XonX commands or at mvdsv boot time or at some other cases, aanyways, k_free_mode reset to value which does not allow ctf (since port_ctf.cfg is not execute, right?).

So, I don't see how you can escape ktx.cfg changes, you really have.

Well, I think we allow CTF in default configs so at some point you don't have to change configs. It is off just because CTF required additional media files and not that much CTF players around, however I always thought that CTF can be really interesting mode with proper maps since native CTF maps simply sux IMO (looong narrow hallway), also I don't like hook which make game looks like "brownian motion" but hook can be disable in KTX.

2)
Besides k_mode there is also k_defmode which is set in ktx.cfg to 4on4 and obviously it should be set to ctf in your case.

3) I don't think there required separate CTF port, why not allow everything on every port?
<3
2011-02-05, 11:54
Member
186 posts

Registered:
Jan 2008
Do it dimman! I have great ping your server to
2011-02-07, 14:05
Member
226 posts

Registered:
Mar 2007
So, nothing happening?

CTF is not working on Cuve :-/
2011-02-07, 19:55
Member
15 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Coming originally from q3ctf I really would enjoy playing some ctf in qw. I think the big problem is that there are no maps for it (or from what I have heard the maps from long ago are really dated and designed with hook in mind?!). I cant really imagine playing ctf on dm6... that would mean one team has flag at RA ? Seems kinda unfair :>

So in my opinion you would really need a complete overhaul to qwctf: means a new mappack with at least 3 or 4 maps, designed with new gameplay and movement in mind plus this server stuff
2011-02-07, 20:30
Member
485 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
There have been DM maps appearing, despite nobody playing them. So maybe new CTF maps can appear as well.

Some TF maps might work, but they don't have scattered spawns and items.
2011-02-07, 21:55
Member
1433 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Maybe some episode maps could be turned into CTF maps with custom entities placement (something that is easily supported by the mod)? Typically a SP map has a linear flow start->end so there could be two bases, one at start, second at end.
2011-02-07, 22:01
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Kalma wrote:
Some TF maps might work, but they don't have scattered spawns and items.

spawns/items is not a problem, you can always use .ent file with custom items/spawns, that how DM and ExMy maps is adopted for CTF in KTX for example.

So its matter of will...
<3
2011-02-07, 22:15
Member
226 posts

Registered:
Mar 2007
To be honest maps shouldn't be a problem, there're already maps imported from Q3CTF, and as Johnny said episode maps also work.

I'm just waiting to get a server where you can actually play the game.
2011-02-08, 08:49
Administrator
1023 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
So, nothing happening?

CTF is not working on Cuve :-/

It will be working later today.. Haven't had time
2011-02-08, 13:40
Administrator
1023 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Ok so I just changed:
set k_allowed_free_modes 95 //1on1, 2on2, 4on4, 10on10 and CTF allowed

Do I need to do anything else? Seems like I'm able to vote ctf on servers and it seems to load fine.

So question is, what does k_mode do??
2011-02-09, 00:11
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
fog wrote:
Ok so I just changed:
set k_allowed_free_modes 95 //1on1, 2on2, 4on4, 10on10 and CTF allowed

Do I need to do anything else? Seems like I'm able to vote ctf on servers and it seems to load fine.

So question is, what does k_mode do??

Well, I checked and seems you have to copy CTF ent files in ".../maps/ctf" dir and get mvdsv & ktx from svn since I commited some related changes few days ago. ent files can be accessed here, BUT you ONLY need ID1 dir from this zip file!!! Only id1! Basically, this .ent files just change spawnpoints and items (most important are flags items which are absent on dm/eXmY maps) on the map, they should be in maps/ctf so they loaded for ctf only, so in normal game modes (non ctf) maps have standard items/spawns.

You don't have to know about k_mode but its KTX variable, determine which game mode is active: duel, team(2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and so on), ctf (ctf have to be separated from normal team games) etc. Basically its a hint for KTX.
<3
2011-02-09, 00:45
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
To be honest maps shouldn't be a problem, there're already maps imported from Q3CTF, and as Johnny said episode maps also work.

q3ctf maps??? link plz.
<3
2011-02-09, 11:54
Administrator
1023 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
qqshka wrote:
fog wrote:
Ok so I just changed:
set k_allowed_free_modes 95 //1on1, 2on2, 4on4, 10on10 and CTF allowed

Do I need to do anything else? Seems like I'm able to vote ctf on servers and it seems to load fine.

So question is, what does k_mode do??

Well, I checked and seems you have to copy CTF ent files in ".../maps/ctf" dir and get mvdsv & ktx from svn since I commited some related changes few days ago. ent files can be accessed here, BUT you ONLY need ID1 dir from this zip file!!! Only id1! Basically, this .ent files just change spawnpoints and items (most important are flags items which are absent on dm/eXmY maps) on the map, they should be in maps/ctf so they loaded for ctf only, so in normal game modes (non ctf) maps have standard items/spawns.

You don't have to know about k_mode but its KTX variable, determine which game mode is active: duel, team(2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and so on), ctf (ctf have to be separated from normal team games) etc. Basically its a hint for KTX.

MVDSV and KTX is now the latest from SVN. I already had the .ent files, but i dunno if the addition of:
sv_loadentfiles_dir "" // load .ent files from this subdir.

might have fixed the issue. It now seems to work with everything!

cuve.se:27501-27505 now supports CTF. Port 27510 was for test and is removed.
2011-02-09, 13:43
Member
226 posts

Registered:
Mar 2007
HOORAY!

It seems like the normal, old CTF though. Runes and all, I don't know if there's a hook though, can't remember the impulse for hook.

BUT HOORAY

\o/
2011-02-09, 21:07
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
HOORAY!

It seems like the normal, old CTF though. Runes and all, I don't know if there's a hook though, can't remember the impulse for hook.

BUT HOORAY

\o/

/nohook - toggle hook.
/norunes - toggle runes.
/mctf - disable both runes and hook.

well, its all here CTF commands
<3
2011-02-10, 10:01
Member
88 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Maybe some episode maps could be turned into CTF maps with custom entities placement (something that is easily supported by the mod)? Typically a SP map has a linear flow start->end so there could be two bases, one at start, second at end.

episode maps were quite popular for small CTF games in the early days (e.g. e1m2). the item files for these are included in any ctf package, I guess?
2011-02-10, 12:41
Administrator
1250 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
pure ctf was the best ctf mod, and it was perfect as i recall it.

make sure you get this:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Ctf


there's this link @ that wiki page, which is a "ctf starter kit"
http://shub-hub.com/files/mods_multiplayer/ctf_starter.zip


would be interested in playing in a ctf league, sunday night only plz

visit #ctf.se or #qwctf to get in touch with the pro's. ~(quakenet)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-02-10, 14:46
Member
126 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
CTF at 'end' would be nice
2011-02-10, 16:26
Administrator
1023 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
mushi wrote:
pure ctf was the best ctf mod, and it was perfect as i recall it.

make sure you get this:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Ctf


there's this link @ that wiki page, which is a "ctf starter kit"
http://shub-hub.com/files/mods_multiplayer/ctf_starter.zip


would be interested in playing in a ctf league, sunday night only plz

visit #ctf.se or #qwctf to get in touch with the pro's. ~(quakenet)

No need to get that? Just join server and it will DL necessary stuff in a couple of seconds?
  72 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page