User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2010-08-22, 15:35
150 posts

Nov 2006
Before independent physics implementation cl_nolerp 1 was used i believe.

As i understand it, to smooth out screen it must use some kind of buffering, meaning the screen will be delayed a bit, is that it ?

How much delay does it get ? 1 frame delay ? 2 frames ?

With cl_nolerp 1, independentphysics gets some awful screen "tearing", depending on the fps used.

Using 770 fps would keep the screen similar with cl_independentphysics 0 (77fps) and cl_nolerp 1 ?
2010-08-22, 20:47
405 posts

Jan 2006
MatriX wrote:
Before independent physics implementation cl_nolerp 1 was used i believe.

As i understand it, to smooth out screen it must use some kind of buffering, meaning the screen will be delayed a bit, is that it ?

How much delay does it get ? 1 frame delay ? 2 frames ?

With cl_nolerp 1, independentphysics gets some awful screen "tearing", depending on the fps used.

Using 770 fps would keep the screen similar with cl_independentphysics 0 (77fps) and cl_nolerp 1 ?

Delay is 1 server frame which is contrlled by sv_mintic which is 0.01 (10 milliseconds) or 0.013 (13 milliseconds).
<3
2010-08-23, 15:42
150 posts

Nov 2006
What should sv_maxtic be set when sv_mintic = 0.013 ?

I tried in localhost and rockets get static in the air with sv_mintic 0.013 and sv_maxtic 0.013, sv_maxtic 0.014 rockets move very slow speed

Or in localhost i can set sv_mintic 0 and sv_maxtic 0.013 ?
2010-08-23, 21:46
150 posts

Nov 2006
qqshka,

sv_mintic is related to cl_nolerp ?

I though cl_nolerp was client interpolation, not server, thats what my question was about.
2010-08-24, 19:59
405 posts

Jan 2006
MatriX wrote:
qqshka,

sv_mintic is related to cl_nolerp ?

I though cl_nolerp was client interpolation, not server, thats what my question was about.

Well, yes mintic and nolerp are linked in some way, server provides data, client interpolates, sv_mintic is just a rate of data(objects) update and I refer to the sv_mintic on the server you are playing, so you should understand that if you playing on public server then we talk about sv_mintic which is set on the server you are playing (you can't controll it) and ofc in case of local server you can change sv_mintic as you wish.

And yes objects delayed by sv_mintic in case of "cl_nolerp 0" so client can smooth out objects movement. I should admit that players are treated specially and not only interpolated but also extrapolated (predicted) that for additional obscurity... But that all pointless knowledge for you and me. if you want tune your client then just follow articles about smooth quake by Renzo or who did it, nothing new you can do about it.
<3
2010-08-24, 20:18
271 posts

Feb 2006
sv_mintic is generally set too low to give totally smooth results from nolerp. Variable network latency and rendering can skew the interpolation a little too easily. A higher mintic will lessen the effects of that, but will annoy anyone who has nolerp set (reducing your client's packet rate will have a similar effect, but will increase your latency, where it matters more).
moo
  6 posts on 1 page  1