User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2010-07-22, 15:51
685 posts

Jul 2007
We all know that keyboard + mouse is superior in fps games but console gamers often (still) state that it's a matter of preference. Well... not according to this article:

"There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment. Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative. Is this why the project was killed Who knows, but I'd love to hear from anyone involved --- what happened?"

source: http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html

I'm totally not against controllers (just bought one myself) for other game genres then fps, but I think it's disgusting how some people still can't admit that keyb+mouse is superior in fps games, even after reading this article some still deny it (I've seen posts of console gamers on a Dutch website that links to the article).
2010-07-22, 16:33
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Next time you run into some console gamer who says that keyboard+mouse isn't superior, then just fire up Halo on your PC and hand him a X360 controller - Then I'm sure he is going to change his mind
2010-07-22, 16:51
61 posts

Sep 2009
These statements are very true, but it does not mean that playing fps games on a console can not be a lot of fun. Sure, the level of skill is lower, but you are playing against others who play with a controller as well. In fact it is pretty hard to master that controller and stuff I love to play cod on my ps3 with a 50" plasma for instance and I wouldn't play cod on my pc.

In my opinion it is totally worthless to let console gamers play vs pc gamers, everyone knows pc will destroy console.

If I recall correctly, there was a demonstration once where some q3 masters played each other; one on an xbox and the other on pc or something...
2010-07-22, 16:55
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Dreamcast Q3 could play on internet/lan vs PC Q3, it just had to be the same point release.... So it quickly stopped working, but if you downgraded your Q3, you could rape DC players online
2010-07-22, 17:53
685 posts

Jul 2007
blixem wrote:
In my opinion it is totally worthless to let console gamers play vs pc gamers, everyone knows pc will destroy console.

Well, that's what you'd think, but my point was that apparently, a lot of people still don't know and don't want to know.

I remember playing a game of Quake 2 on a console a few times but, knowing how the accurate I could be with mouse, I found it a horrible 'handycapped' experience. Sure, you get better with practice, but it won't ever be PC level.
2010-07-22, 18:20
271 posts

Feb 2006
its not really the method of input that makes it fun, its more the balance of the game considering the 'handicaps' of the player.
Yeah, a mouse will give you greater input precision and speed, but if everyone is using the same input method then the more fun input method wins, whether that's a controller or a mouse.

We need to start plugging pcs into 50" plasma tvs. Not quite sure where I'd put the mousepad, but it should otherwise be fun!
moo
2010-07-22, 18:26
61 posts

Sep 2009
Well, I'm not sure if the keyboard+mouse is the most fun as input device. As I said, I have a lot of fun playing on my ps3 and tv from my couch and replacing the controller with a mouse and keyboard would make it less fun for me: I would have to sit at a desk again...
2010-07-23, 20:42
685 posts

Jul 2007
Well, this topic wasn't about what's the most fun, but I do love the fact that on consoles everybody got a fair chance since everybody has the same hardware.
2010-07-23, 22:20
303 posts

Jun 2007
Console gamers are used to inferior input device for shooters and strategies - pc gamers for many other games. Playing racing sim or games like PoP on keyboard+mouse IS inferior to gamepad. It's double edged sword. The difference is, PC gamer can buy any accessory he want, and console gamers cannot use k&m combo. Rare occasions like UTIII on PS3 won't change anything.
2010-07-24, 23:40
61 posts

Sep 2009
offtopic: anyone else got a ps3 and plays on it sometimes?
  10 posts on 1 page  1