User panel stuff on forum
  24 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2010-03-26, 17:38
51 posts

Nov 2006
subject says it all...
after years of awesomeness my mx300 broke and i havent looked at the mouse market since like 2002?
so please update me on whats the gamers choice nowadays.
i read renzos reviews of the steelseries mice and wondering now whats the best sensor mode? laser? optical? is steelseries any good?
whats up with razer mice? still too expensive and buggy firmware?
google just sends me to some progaming sites where stupid people discuss mice in stupid games. i prefer the real QWers opinions!
i think i have kinda large hands but i prefer smaller mice (mx300, g3 , wgm) so ...

WHATS THE BEST MOUSE FOR ME!?

thanks in advance!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
2010-03-26, 17:59
459 posts

Mar 2008
These are the ones I've tried: IE3.0 (optical), MX518 (optical) , Lachesis (laser), DeathAdder (optical), G9x (laser).

1. G9x
2. DeathAdder
3. MX518
4. IE3.0
5. Lachesis

Even though G9x is the best for me, its also the most expensive by quite far. Its small and light, and glides almost with no friction at all on my Razer Destructor pad. If you don't wanna spend ~100 euros on a mouse (which is understandable), i could also really recommend MX518 which is also quite small (at least not big) and works like a charm. DeathAdder, IE3.0 and lachesis are all quite big, so you probably wouldn't want them. The lachesis is crap anyway, so you wouldn't want that no matter what size you prefer.
2010-03-26, 18:54
347 posts

Feb 2006
Probably not a lot of difference performancewise between different gaming mice except for shape and weight. I'd just go with the MX518 (which I just did, when I broke my previous MX518) since it's cheap and good. You can't go wrong with Logitech. My experience is that they are by far the most durable too.
2010-03-26, 18:59
59 posts

Mar 2010
People usually seem to forget this classic:

Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a

400dpi
Lift-Off distance = under 1mm
Perfect tracking
Works on every mousepad, doesn't skip
Very good shape (same as Xai)
No mouse correction / prediction (almost every new mouse has it...)
No acceleration
No annoying drivers
Most Q3/QL championships in the world won by players with this mouse

Price: 9 EUR (+myself replaced the stock mousefeet with hyperglides)

Same stats goes for Microsoft Intellimouse explorer 3.0 but with different shape.
Price: 25 EUR

ps. Higher dpi doesn't affect your aim at all. Shape and sensor quality are most important.
2010-03-26, 19:41
1329 posts

Apr 2006
spooink wrote:
is steelseries any good?

Definitely stay away from Kinzu, it has acceleration bug that "will not be fixed", according to my Steelseries contact. IF and ONLY IF Xai gets a firmware update that fixes the very slight acceleration (among other bugs), it's then recommended mouse.

spooink wrote:
WHATS THE BEST MOUSE FOR ME!?

Unfortunately, only you yourself can answer that question. I like both G9 (the older model, g9x has the same sensor bug that Xai has) and Xai, but G9 shape fits my hand better when using precision grip. Recommended mouse? Maybe, but rather test it yourself at some place, maybe at your friend's or something.

G5/mx518/mx510 are horribly bulky bricks, and not so ergonomic ones. G9/G9x has a lot better shape with both grips that ship with the mouse. And one last thing, the surface you will be using with your mouse is as important as the mouse itself, or even more so.
Servers: Troopers
2010-03-26, 19:46
1 post

Feb 2010
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a201543.html

should be fine around 25cm/360 or faster, with 30/360 or more i expect negative accel problem or flickering maybe
(search some review to be sure)
i can imagine of the sensor-age that it isnt compatible with all mousepads (pads that dont support older lasermice)
the logitech g1 had the same shape too and pretty good optical sensor (30/360 was stable if i remember it right)
g1 could be harder to find
2010-03-26, 19:56
51 posts

Nov 2006
thanks for the answers so far !
that g9 looks really ugly but pretty small. how can i distinguish between old and new version of it?

i read about the Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a and Microsoft Intellimouse explorer 3.0 on other gaming sites aswell. i just cant believe that mice built several years ago are better than modern pieces really , whats the drawback of the modern technologies?

what about the salmosa? anyone tested it? it looks pretty slick imo...

Renzo wrote:
Unfortunately, only you yourself can answer that question. Maybe, but rather test it yourself at some place, maybe at your friend's or something.

yea but i guess you notice the flaws after some days of testing not after the 1st few minutes of "touching"
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
2010-03-26, 20:19
61 posts

Jan 2006
I have had Xai, that sensor just sucks cause of accel problem. Some players like it cause its easy to get a good shaft with it. And that it cause of accel, but moving and rl skills are hard with it. Same with g9x that i own, sucky sensor (same as xai like renzo said) and cant use it. So Im using g9 and its good. Have tested many mousepads and best so far for me is Razer Goliathus control version. It is a cloth pad with some friction..that is good for high sens

But seems like all new mouses have lots of buggs.. x-y tracking problems or accel so i would buy a older mouse that is known to be good. You cant get any advantage about high dpi anyway.
2010-03-26, 21:17
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
I got a Xai fairly recently and don't think it's worth the money really. A bit too lightweight for my liking and the side buttons are really annoying in that i keep pressing mouse5 when trying to rocket jump.

To be honest I kinda wish I hadn't sold my MX518 a few years ago as that was probably the best mouse I've used.
2010-03-26, 21:35
100 posts

Mar 2008
i tried deathadder and mx518, both are fantastic mouses, deathadder is extremly precise, but FRAGILE as hell(i heard a lot of dead DA, including mine). The mx518 is also very precise, but it is more durable, and cheaper.If you dont have that much money for a mouse, i would suggest mx518, cos its more reliable.
2010-03-26, 22:33
92 posts

Aug 2007
Salmosa has the same (3G) infrared sensor like DeathAdder. It's a lightweight, compact mouse, maybe a little too slim. Precise and smooth on a cloth pad (steelseries qck), no problems at all. Very rarely it's not initialized at boot so it have to be replugged to work. One button was also making a scretchy sound sometimes, but it stopped after some time and works ok now. I bought it ~1 year ago, and it still works .
2010-03-26, 23:08
462 posts

Jan 2006
I have tried da, xai, roccat kone and mx500, out of those I'd say that da is the best and xai a good 2nd. Tried xai but went back to da. It could be a little bit smaller though for me. I have had this for a long time and never had any problems.
2010-03-26, 23:18
462 posts

Jan 2006
spooink wrote:
whats the drawback of the modern technologies?

Well for a long time laser sensors just couldn't match the speed of good opticals: if you would pull the mouse fast, it would skip. But I guess that is no longer a problem with new lasers. At least some years ago, da had the record skipping speed. I guess the drawback is that mice were made perfect already. Manufacturers concentrate on selling air with high specs without any real benefit, instead of improving the usability and shape of the mice.
2010-03-27, 04:29
150 posts

Nov 2006
Renzo wrote:
And one last thing, the surface you will be using with your mouse is as important as the mouse itself, or even more so.

For a G5 revision 2007 what is the best mousepad ?
I have Allsop blue with water drops, but it slides too much for me, i cant seem to do steady movements, it feels like i move the mouse more than it moves on screen.
I think i prefer rough surfaces.
2010-03-27, 08:25
398 posts

Feb 2006
so now all you gotta do spoink is to look at WHAT people has commented, pick the ones that has the best aim, and choose a mouse based on that :E
2010-03-27, 09:25
51 posts

Nov 2006
thanks for all your inpuit!
gonna go test some mice in a pc-shop today. after concluding all your opinions im favouring the g9,DA and salmosa atm...

Hagge wrote:
so now all you gotta do spoink is to look at WHAT people has commented, pick the ones that has the best aim, and choose a mouse based on that :E

its not that easy haggeh! most of these superstar qw players have the wrong settings ingame , mice with 1 button and using their little sisters barbie mousepad and still get a 50% lg. we normal mortal people have to get every advantage we can get to catch up to the div0 guys...
2010-03-27, 10:25
398 posts

Feb 2006
true that spoinky :E
2010-04-07, 00:42
108 posts

Jun 2006
Microsoft wheel mouse optical
i had logitech g1 and salmosa etc, but this mouse is better.
Not many qw players use this mouse, but all players that place top 3 in almost every q3/ql tournament use wmo.
Some qw players that use this mouse or mouse with same sensor; Nabbe, bulat, ganon, avenger, all those aim well.

I got a 3 pack for the same price as a salmosa, its nice for modding the hell out off the mouse, since one have 2 backups.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=008
2010-06-05, 17:05
685 posts

Jul 2007
MatriX wrote:
Renzo wrote:
And one last thing, the surface you will be using with your mouse is as important as the mouse itself, or even more so.

I have Allsop blue with water drops, but it slides too much for me, i cant seem to do steady movements, it feels like i move the mouse more than it moves on screen.

I have that G5 2007 and use a Roccat Sense mousemat. I had X-Ray Thunderpad first, but that hard plastic surface fucked up my mousefeet in just one week or so.
2010-06-07, 23:29
28 posts

Nov 2009
What about razer krait?

I need a new mouse too, but I don't think I play enough to justify buying a deathadder or a g5/9. So, is krait a good choice for the price, or should I get something else?

Also, anyone know if razer's mouses work well with linux/mac os?
2010-06-09, 09:35
6 posts

Jun 2010
Speaking about computer mice, anyone know of a good classic styled keyboard? No need for those extra buttons and all, I just want a plain, responsive, usb keyboard.
2010-06-09, 16:23
284 posts

Oct 2006
Kil3r wrote:
Speaking about computer mice, anyone know of a good classic styled keyboard? No need for those extra buttons and all, I just want a plain, responsive, usb keyboard.

Steelseries 6G
2010-06-09, 16:30
284 posts

Oct 2006
And for mister spoink-a-delic. If you've been using a smaller mouse like mx3xx I have a hard time imagining you play with a bigger mouse like DeathAdder (which I prefer atm.) Ofc you might have been stupid as a youngster and actually have shovels for hands and the bigger mice would fit you fine

My tips are:
- test as many mice as you can
- go with optical if at all possible
- don't go with ambidextrous shape if at all possible (xai's one big weakness imo)
- right size and natural grip (although I'm liking my DA, I still don't know how to hold it naturally after a month and also keep hitting the rear side button
- get the right mousepad, it can make a world of difference
- mx518 or Intellimouse 3.0a are still by far the best bang for the buck if you like the size, shape and grip + can deal with the shitty dpi in 3.0a
2010-06-10, 00:24
685 posts

Jul 2007
megalodon wrote:
MatriX wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I have that G5 2007 and use a Roccat Sense mousemat. I had X-Ray Thunderpad first, but that hard plastic surface fucked up my mousefeet in just one week or so.

UPDATE: I'm actually back on the Thunderpad and have Glides under the mouse. Feels like iceskating It seems to skip a little when making ultra fast movements, but for most of the time I love it. Wish the pad was larger though...

UPDATE 2: which is why I just ordered The newer, larger version
  24 posts on 1 page  1