User panel stuff on forum
  1 post on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2010-02-01, 10:43
247 posts

Jan 2006
So, I've been tracking and debugging this problem for the past few weeks.

The problem:
During any kind of action going on at the screen, my SCOREBOARD ping goes up (the HUD ping remains the same).
For the sake of argument let's assume my server now is Wargamez. With regular packet size under DOS console, I ping there 18-20ms.
That gives something like 25-26ms QW ingame, and 22ms with earlypackets.
Obviously, the bigger size of the packet to send the bigger ping. With the QW packets being between 50 and 600 bytes (600 bytes during some 10ppl FFA at small map), my DOS ping varies between 18ms (50bytes) and 30ms (600bytes).

With base 25ms on Wargamez, my ping can go all the way up to 40-45ms even, during some 4on4 game......and YES. It is 40ms, not 22ms (as shown by HUD), because I can feel the huge difference.

I'm at the Win7 x64 Ultimate. Friend of mine reported similar behavior at Win7, when his 38ms base ping was floating all the way up to 50ms and more, during fights. He's back to XP now and it's stable.....

That reason only gives me an impression it must be Win7 related. The MMCS service is TURNED OFF.

Anyone has any idea where to look further ?

cheers!

UPDATE: it may look like the TCP auto tuning service of Win7 (an upgraded version of what one can see in Vista) that may cause the problems....will have to wait until get back home tho...
  1 post on 1 page  1