User panel stuff on forum
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Rookies' Corner
2009-12-11, 14:48
793 posts

Feb 2006
i just tried again and the only way it's 'really easy' to press both at the same time is if you have attack and jump on the two mouse buttons (i use a two button mouse). if you bind them to keys that are next to each other on the keyboard you have to press two buttons with one finger which is very awkward if you don't want to let go of your movement keys.

so time! i guess this just confirms you use mouse to jump. i wouldn't want to give up one of my mouse buttons for jumping as i use them for rl/lg.
2009-12-11, 15:16
485 posts

Feb 2006
For most of the jumps the timing is not that critical anyway and sometimes you want to jump lower, saving damage. But closer to limit stuff like dm2 bigroom stairs to hightele becomes significantly easier with the jump-attack bind.
2009-12-11, 15:27
357 posts

Nov 2008
dEus: I used to hit exactly x to +rl, and c to +jump. And not, i did it with two fingers (pointing finger + middle finger) It's really easy because my natural position of those fingers is s + d, so i just need to hit the two lower keys. Testing now, i'm able to do exactly the same jumps (Well not 100% but because i'm not used to it now) But i could life rocketjumping with two keys. It's np for me.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-12-11, 15:28
485 posts

Feb 2006
In Tribes I used to have jetpack bound to v and jump to space and press both with my thumb. (Launching with jetpack is similar to a rocket jump...) Apart from occasional soreness it worked fine.
2009-12-11, 15:41
793 posts

Feb 2006
time! how do you move if you have two fingers on the rj keys? that leaves two fingers for movement, pinky and ring finger? sorry i just can't imagine how to do it.

agreed with Kalma, the close to limit stuff jumps become significantly easier (in my case: possible) with this.
2009-12-11, 15:48
251 posts

Jul 2007
dEus wrote:
skill required to press both at the same time.

That's the way I do it. However, I would never call that a skill. It amazes me over and over again what is considered a skill in QW. "OMG, he can connect to a server without a server browser or XantoM's server cfg... skill!"

Oh yea... is letting your trousers down, before you take a shit, a skill too?
2009-12-11, 16:20
793 posts

Feb 2006
it's certainly a skill in that sense that you would sorely miss it if you couldn't do it for some reason

on a serious note hitting jump and fire rl in qw is not a trivial thing at all. to gain maximum height from your rj you have to press both buttons within single digits miliseconds (rough guess here). check the thread there's a reason it's been suggested to bind the two functions to buttons that are right next to each other. if you have one on a mouse button the other one on a keyboard key it becomes significantly more diffcult, in my case (and i'm certainly not the only one) almost impossible.
feel free to explain your way of doing it in more detail.
2009-12-11, 16:55
357 posts

Nov 2008
Currently, i do it with ALT, but with x and c is just leaving s and d for half second, just to hit those two keys and quickly coming back to s and d. It's ez, once you are used to it, you can do it automatically withouth losing time.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-12-11, 18:19
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Check out http://challenge-tv.com/tricks/
2009-12-11, 18:33
19 posts

Dec 2009
I'm currently using the left mouse button to jump, then right mouse button to fire with the Rocket Launcher (since I binded the left mouse with a rl script). I find it quite easy to do, but I really need practice with the whole turning thing I'm glad to see you all giving those useful advices Thanks!
2009-12-11, 20:43
251 posts

Jul 2007
dEus wrote:
feel free to explain your way of doing it in more detail.

Well, I have +jump and +attack both bound on the mouse. I press them both at the same time. So that setting might disqualify as too easy or skill-less. :p

It's just that I dislike the fuzz about such a simple script or the view about how avoiding spawn spots to not get telefragged is a "skill" worth mentioning. Now, I'm getting really off-topic, so to sum it up: I think the script (and automatism) bans we have today are quite okay and well-balanced. Extending them further is getting silly.
2009-12-12, 09:04
133 posts

Sep 2007
Kalma wrote:
For most of the jumps the timing is not that critical anyway and sometimes you want to jump lower, saving damage. But closer to limit stuff like dm2 bigroom stairs to hightele becomes significantly easier with the jump-attack bind.

No shit. I still fail most of the time, because I do it manual. I guess I just make a bind in my script so I succeed 10 out of 10.. zzzzzz
This is the proof that the bind sucks big time. Normally it's hard, but now I got a bind and ...boom.. i'm up.
I'll just keep failing the rj
2009-12-12, 10:05
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
pattah wrote:
the view about how avoiding spawn spots to not get telefragged is a "skill" worth mentioning

I think anything that requires thought, deliberation and practice from the player is a skill. Avoiding spawnpoints is just another 'static' movement skill against the map, just like being able to perform a certain trick jump. And the converse also applies, there can be a degree of skill involved in telefragging other players, after you die you can watch your killer moving towards spawn points and try to time your spawn correctly (obviously this is only really viable on maps with a low number of spawns like dm3 and at locations where it is harder to avoid the spawn spots, otherwise the odds are too great).
2009-12-12, 11:50
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Kwibus wrote:
No shit. I still fail most of the time, because I do it manual. I guess I just make a bind in my script so I succeed 10 out of 10..

You don't. There is much more to do a proper Rjump from big to gl or from big to high-tele. Pressing two buttons in the same time is only like 10% of what is needed.

As for the "skill" - the game can be turned endlessly harder than it is now, so that mastering what is not necessary to master anyhow at this point becomes thing of hours and days of frustrating practice in the theoretical changed future. Only because it's possible to add another "skill" in the game doesn't automatically mean it should be done.
2009-12-12, 12:02
793 posts

Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Only because it's possible to add another "skill" in the game doesn't automatically mean it should be done.

it's not about adding another skill but about adding another script. in my case (and Kwibus' it seems) i don't use the "+attack;+jump" binding and would like to keep it that way.
2009-12-12, 20:33
251 posts

Jul 2007
HangTime wrote:
I think anything that requires thought, deliberation and practice from the player is a skill. Avoiding spawnpoints is just another 'static' movement skill against the map, just like being able to perform a certain trick jump.

Certainly true. We are talking about a game though and a game should be balanced between skill and fun. Make it too easy and it becomes boring, make it too hard it becomes boring as well. We also have those areas which aren't worth mentioning/having arguments about. In the case of the mentioned "RJ script", I don't think that a user benefits that much from it to even remotely consider a ban. That's just nitpicking.

I feel the same about that "spawn stuff". I see the arguments in favour for "more skill", however, I don't think that they outweigh a nice game flow that we could achieve by having a spawnfrag protection, i.e. the players could freely (and quickly) move around the maps. What is better? The situation where a player kills a player at LG on Aerowalk and then waits until his enemy spawned, so he doesn't get telefraged at RA, or if he could just jump over there and get it?

Do you remember the discussion about the different spawn delays and how they could be set equally low, so you could respawn more or less at once? It kind of died, because "of course" it is a skill to kill your opponent so that he gibs and he is delayed respawning by some more ms. Erm yea. So we keep the status quo instead of streamlining the overall gameplay. And I think that is sad.

JohnNy_cz wrote:
Pressing two buttons in the same time is only like 10% of what is needed.

We can even generalize this and ask ourselves how many games were won by such a simple "RJ script" or rather by aim, timing, and game tactics? Is what we are talking about here even relevant at all?
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page