User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2009-10-01, 18:28
228 posts

Mar 2007
I see this in my server console unless I ban the ip. Is it simply someone naming themselves QTV or is there a roving QTV bot looking for games to "broadcast"?
I coulda sworn I asked this question a coupla yrs ago but the search shows nothing.
2009-10-01, 18:59
1329 posts

Apr 2006
There's a reason why default configs come with some password set to QTV, and it's because people are too lazy and don't read documentation/news and try to /qtvplay server-address:port even if that's the wrong way to connect to a QTV with client (ezQuake).

Set qtv_maxstreams to 0 or set qtv_password to at least something and this won't happen again. More info on qw-dev.net and QTV project space (wiki).
Servers: Troopers
2009-10-01, 19:49
228 posts

Mar 2007
Thanks, and calm down, it's just a game. No need to get mad about it.
2009-10-02, 22:12
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Renzo ain't mad, he just writes that way
2009-10-05, 16:53
228 posts

Mar 2007
Yea, well, he assumes alot. I would never use a default cfg that comes with a server package, nor would I ever consider using QTV. I've used the same server cfg literally for 12 years with no more than simple updates to add features that have come along the way. My server has always run Painkeep.

Why in the world qtv_maxstreams would default to 1 is beyond me, I didn't even know it existed and I'll be damned if I'm going to trudge through tons of documentation for a simple server exe replacement. Perhaps it should default to 0 so I don't ask these irritating questions? =D
2009-10-05, 17:15
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
5h17h34d wrote:
Yea, well, he assumes alot. I would never use a default cfg that comes with a server package, nor would I ever consider using QTV.

Nah I don't see a reason why to be able to have "almost unlimited" spec slots (and opt. let another server take care of the bandwidth-requirement for the specs), have 10 sec delay to prevent ghosting, real smooth speccing etc etc.

I was ironic.

Btw, maxstreams is set to 1 because the thought aint that every client shall connect to the server direct, but to a, lets say QTV-central, from where you can spec whatever server/game you want? (Afaik)
2009-10-05, 18:07
1329 posts

Apr 2006
5h17h34d wrote:
Yea, well, he assumes alot. I would never use a default cfg that comes with a server package

When you download a server package, let it be MVDSV+KTX in this case, do you think you would know better than the developers configuring their own creation? Do you really think some 12 year old config would work with something like a server package with somewhat new mod?

5h17h34d wrote:
I've used the same server cfg literally for 12 years with no more than simple updates to add features that have come along the way. My server has always run Painkeep.

Wait, you run painkeep? Why on earth would you download a server package or use any of its configs for painkeep? The server package we offer (from MVDSV and KTX project pages) are literally MVDSV+KTX only

Your way of doing is correct however, when you only get MVDSV then you should only modify your mvdsv.cfg and nothing else. Note that there are things that have changed during years, or even removed so anything regarding those changes should be removed from the configs too.

5h17h34d wrote:
Why in the world qtv_maxstreams would default to 1 is beyond me, I didn't even know it existed and I'll be damned if I'm going to trudge through tons of documentation for a simple server exe replacement. Perhaps it should default to 0 so I don't ask these irritating questions? =D

It's set to 1 by our choice, considering how great success QTV has been for spectating purposes we hope that anyone running any decent server will also allow QTV to proxy the games, reducing bandwidth and and resource usage, or even running a QTV.

Also, at first you say I've used the same server cfg literally for 12 years with no more than simple updates to add features that have come along the way but then again, where do you get these changes if not from example mvdsv.cfg or from changelogs? If you actually followed the development, you'd have known about the QTV settings in that particular config, and wouldn't have had to ask about it at all.

5h17h34d wrote:
nor would I ever consider using QTV.

Fog said he was being ironic, I won't bother going that far though. I'm sure most of the players already know what it's all about.

And finally, you also seem to have missed this.
2009-10-05, 23:51
228 posts

Mar 2007
Quote:
When you download a server package, let it be MVDSV+KTX in this case, do you think you would know better than the developers configuring their own creation? Do you really think some 12 year old config would work with something like a server package with somewhat new mod?

Do you really think I downloaded a server package? I downloaded a zip file with the exe in it only. Why do you say this?

Quote:
Wait, you run painkeep? Why on earth would you download a server package or use any of its configs for painkeep? The server package we offer (from MVDSV and KTX project pages) are literally MVDSV+KTX only

Do you really think I downloaded a server package? I downloaded a zip file with the exe in it only. Why do you say this?

Quote:
Your way of doing is correct however, when you only get MVDSV then you should only modify your mvdsv.cfg and nothing else. Note that there are things that have changed during years, or even removed so anything regarding those changes should be removed from the configs too.

From what I see this cvar defaults to 1 with no cfgs whatsoever.

Quote:
Also, at first you say I've used the same server cfg literally for 12 years with no more than simple updates to add features that have come along the way but then again, where do you get these changes if not from example mvdsv.cfg or from changelogs? If you actually followed the development, you'd have known about the QTV settings in that particular config, and wouldn't have had to ask about it at all.

From what I see this cvar defaults to 1 with no cfgs whatsoever.

Am I repeating myself?

Quote:
It's set to 1 by our choice, considering how great success QTV has been for spectating purposes we hope that anyone running any decent server will also allow QTV to proxy the games, reducing bandwidth and and resource usage, or even running a QTV.

No need for it. Not very many people play PK. The ezquake-gl.exe says qtv_maxstreams default is 1 when runining locally. I guess some people use ezquake as a server. I don't btw. I ran mvdsv.exe in a clean install with no cfgs and it defaulted to 1. Of course its your choice, why all the blathering about how I did this by running a ktx package cfg?

Now which is it? I caused this by running a KTX package or the server exe defaults it to 1?
2009-10-06, 01:14
271 posts

Feb 2006
it doesn't matter what maxstreams is, so long as the port itself is disabled. Better to keep the port closed than to reject all connections.
might I ask, what does the port default to?
moo
2009-10-06, 01:38
228 posts

Mar 2007
Spike, now there's something I never bothered to look at. My router runs Tomato firmware and blocks all ports unless explicitly opened manually by me. The qtv connection then *has* to be coming through 27960-27969. udp.
2009-10-06, 05:19
1329 posts

Apr 2006
The source:
renzo@valis ~/temp/mvdsv/source $ cat sv_demo_qtv.c |grep streamport
cvar_t qtv_streamport = {"qtv_streamport", "0"};

Server console:
qtv_streamport
"qtv_streamport" is "0"

mvdsv.cfg
[qw@quakeworld ktx]$ cat mvdsv.cfg |grep qtv_streamport
// qtv_streamport 4000 // port on which to stream mvd data

Ironic, isn't it? The only way qtv_streamport actually gets opened is by user actually specifying it.

Whatever, I'm not going to debug someone else's server setup, time to search for the answers yourself.
2009-10-06, 06:03
228 posts

Mar 2007
My question was answered in the begining of the thread. I set maxstreams to 0.
qtv_streamport returns 0 in the server console, btw.

Now, back to being lazy and not reading the documentation!
  12 posts on 1 page  1