User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2009-09-27, 17:56
64 posts

Jan 2009
I recently got this Samsung screen and I've gotten it to run at 120 Hz with some tweaking xorg.conf.

However - I seem to get some "inverted" ghosting on bright objects in-game.
With inverted ghosting I mean that there is a small black border growing out in front of the object as opposed to regular ghosting where the border would turn up behind it.

I believe it is related to the 3D feature with the goggles, but I can't find a way to control the behavior.
I tried the screen in windows just quickly and I didn't see anything there.

I can get rid of the "ghosting" if I turn up the contrast to around 90, but then I get other strange behaviour, such as red-sparkling walls on dm3.
I've got an Nvidia 8600 GT for information. Does anyone have a suggestion or even heard about it?
2009-09-27, 18:56
1329 posts

Apr 2006
There's nothing you can do, it is an overdrive effect. Be glad that the ghosting is actually dark shadow instead of random colored one (bright orange, bright green or even white on darker backgrounds). There isn't a single TFT panel with an overdrive that doesn't cause some sort of overdrive error/corona, but some models have less while other models have a lot more. Luckily with 2233RZ the overdrive effects are dark-shaded and won't be visible too often even if they do exist.

// EDIT: corrected sentences :\
Servers: Troopers
2009-09-27, 19:30
459 posts

Mar 2008
For me the problem seemed to be slightly less apparent after increasing gl_max_size to 8192. Could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but could be worth trying out at least.
2009-09-27, 20:00
64 posts

Jan 2009
I've been playing around a bit with contrast settings and the "MagicBright" set to Dynamic Contrast seems to totally get rid of the black artefact.. colours are very sharp, but they aren't distracting like the overdrive effects.

Will have to do some more poking around to see what works and what doesn't
Thanks for your quick responses.
2009-09-27, 21:46
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Rikoll wrote:
For me the problem seemed to be slightly less apparent after increasing gl_max_size to 8192. Could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but could be worth trying out at least.

Texture sizes will not affect the physical charasteristics of your monitor. In fact, this variable has nothing to do with the monitor, but instead it specifies how large textures can be used ingame.

conus wrote:
I've been playing around a bit with contrast settings and the "MagicBright" set to Dynamic Contrast seems to totally get rid of the black artefact.. colours are very sharp, but they aren't distracting like the overdrive effects.

Will have to do some more poking around to see what works and what doesn't
Thanks for your quick responses.

Oh boy. You realize that the monitor is doing on-the-fly contrast/brigthness changes with that feature enabled? Also this mode prevents you from specifying user-defined color settings. It might or might not increase input-lag, but it is still doing something on the fly.
2009-09-27, 22:31
64 posts

Jan 2009
Yeah, I know the monitor is doing changes on the fly. I just thought it was "good" as the artefacts disappeared. It even noticed on dm2, when coming from tele running towards quad - the screen would go darker when coming out to the water-room..

I somewhat found a solution for it now.. or atleast found something that doesn't give me those artefacts and it's high contrast along with a more even colour-setting. With blue set down to 15:ish I would get the overdrive-effect again.

It's easy tho - can just switch to normal colour settings in qw and back to custom colours elsewhere
2009-09-28, 00:16
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Sadly at least my 2233RZ has a firmware bug that actually resets the user set color settings if you turn the dynamic contrast enabled. Yes, you read it right, everytime that piece of shit dc is used I have to re-adjust the custom color settings from the monitor, what a damn piece of shit
2009-09-28, 09:53
459 posts

Mar 2008
I know what gl_max_size does, but the problem seemed more apparent on single colored objects (like the boxes on ztrick level 3, single colored skins on enemies / teammates etc). Increasing max_size from 4 -> 8192 seemed to help slightly for me, but again, might just be my imagination
2009-09-28, 10:06
1329 posts

Apr 2006
No, it's not imagination. Instead it goes like this: TFTs do not have constant response time over all color codes, instead it can vary a lot depending on the certain color transitions. If you check here, you can see how the response time and RTC error varies from color to color, having the average response time of 3,3ms.

In your case coming from almost drawflat like situation to something that has real texture and varying colors on it could make all the difference in the world, even if the color shift would be minimal.
2009-09-28, 10:29
64 posts

Jan 2009
Yeah. I'm using some skinpack from gfx.qw.nu that turns all ammo packs bright white with a rocket/nail/shell icon in it - got LOTS of overdrive artefacts from those.

It is not as apaprent by setting the colour to normal (R:50, G:50, B:50) and contrast at around 80 (no dynamic contrast).
Not the best solution or anything but it does look and certainly feel alot better than having the overdrive stuff.

Edit: how do I change thread name to add "(Solved)" ?
2009-09-28, 11:54
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
conus wrote:
Edit: how do I change thread name to add "(Solved)" ?

Edit your first post
2009-10-12, 10:50
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I actually did some digging up just now/today.

It appears that the ghosting disappears when you set your monitor's contrast above 92. However it also does some other nasty stuff (gamma ramps), but if you can live with that then just go for it.
  12 posts on 1 page  1