User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2009-09-04, 11:18
10 posts

May 2006
Hi all

Was just on the XS4ALL FFA earlier when Buffy popped up and we had a chat about running Windows 7 + Quake. It had occurred to him that he was incurring some kind of latency penalty in QuakeWorld for running Windows 7, to which I thought 'nonsense'! Sure enough he reconnected using his laptop (presumably running XP), and he had a ping 20ms lower than the ping he was getting on his Windows 7 machine!

Alarm bells started ringing, anybody else had similar increase in latency whilst running Windows 7?

I had just moved house & got a new ADSL connection & put together a new build when I installed and started running the Windows 7 RC, so didn't put the fact that I still had a 55ms ping down to Windows 7, but have always been curious regarding the reported server ping (which I presume doesn't invoke the entire TCP portion of the TCP/IP stack) of XS4ALL being around ~30ms, but actual connection latency being somewhere around ~55ms level (which does use the TCP portion of the TCP/IP stack).

Anyway I'm away on holiday 4 a few days and have only my xp laptop to keep me company so annoyingly am unable to check this out myself, so was wondering if anybody could check the advice out in this link and see if it improves anything for them?

http://lifeandcode.net/2009/05/reduce-game-network-latency-in-windows-7-or-vista/ - Apparently relates to the use of 'Nagle's Algorithm' which is a form of transmission flow control at the protocol layer.

EDIT: lol really should proof my posts
2009-09-04, 18:35
10 posts

May 2006
apparently it works ... cannot wait to try it meself!
2009-09-07, 00:37
271 posts

Feb 2006
QuakeWorld is a UDP-based game. It does not use TCP. I would be very worried if this actually affected anything, unless you were attempting to proxy all udp packets over tcp. Which would be slower in itself.

Make sure that it really isn't using a proxy, and that includes the ipv6-over-ipv4 thingie that windows has.
moo
2009-09-07, 04:29
370 posts

Mar 2008
It does nothing at all, like Spike said. It also depends on your routing... I've tried what you posted and doesn't do anything for me.
2009-09-07, 19:01
10 posts

May 2006
Ah of course it's UDP hence the presence of packet loss, hadn't thought of that. Still though, like you say, the virtual adapters loaded in win7 for the protocol tunnelling may be having an affect, I shall have a fiddle. Something definitely up with Win7 though.
2009-09-08, 12:37
10 posts

May 2006
lots of new drivers about for my motherboard so might give them a punt
  6 posts on 1 page  1