User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2009-08-16, 14:04
1435 posts

Jan 2006
In ezQuake 1.9.3 stable and (recent enough) 2.0 alpha idrive (strafescript / strafe aid / "auto-release opposite move key" is listed as "+i" (enabled) or "-i" (disabled) in the f_ruleset. That means you can still use smackdown ruleset + idrive together.

So the question is, should idrive be completely disallowed in the smackdown ruleset (and therefore become part of 'competition standard')?

Note: this poll & thread (as other similar polls and threads we made before) serves as a base ground for the smackdown ruleset users, which are the league admins on the smackdown ruleset mailing list (hosted by on the ezQuake project site). These people will make the final decision. No client developer has any sort of 'important vote' in this (ofc he can vote in this poll and write his own opinion).

It is your interest to write sensible argumentation for your position, as the people who will decide in the end might not have enough information or insight on the matter.

Finally, if you only want to say yes / no, just use the poll.

Related:
http://www.quakeworld.nu/news/440/&l=10&o=70
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3470
2009-08-16, 14:26
1329 posts

Apr 2006
As the idrive was originally a script, it falls under the "movement script issue", something leagues have banned long time ago (both EQL and QWDL specifically banned this feature during last season). This script automatically releases your +strafeleft when you push +straferight, allowing use to do a direction change that loses the absolute minimum amount of speed. This also affects your movement speed, bunny speed and dodging ability. Also the differences in speed are measureable, like ability of dodge lg fire better (enemy lg hit percentage will be lower).

The script/idrive also affects your own aim making it a bit worse, so it doesn't have only "positive" effect.
Servers: Troopers
2009-08-18, 08:48
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Take in mind that allow_scripts 0 is still not 'locked' under the smackdown ruleset, so using allow_scripts 2 would be just another way to use strafescript.cfg under the smackdown ruleset.
2009-08-18, 10:09
1329 posts

Apr 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Take in mind that allow_scripts 0 is still not 'locked' under the smackdown ruleset, so using allow_scripts 2 would be just another way to use strafescript.cfg under the smackdown ruleset.

This is topic for another discussion, but let's see...

First, replying to the "locked" issue. As allow_scripts 0 disables manmade movement scripts efficiently (in case it was coded properly, I'm sure johnny_cz did that so), and leagues enforce this so if you see -s and [rjscripts blocked] in ruleset reply, you know the scripts can't be used at all even if you have them binded or enabled. So in short, the idea here is that you can't turn a script/feature enabled when it's under the rules and you use both allow_scripts 0 and ruleset smackdown.

Now the second thing. Since allow_scripts 0 is part of leagues and their rules, and also our scene rules (noone likes anyone doing scripted rjs), shouldn't ruleset smackdown actually allow only allow_scripts 0? To me it looks logical that way, because ruleset smackdown won't allow changing those blocked options when you are connected to a server. This way it would make more sure that noone is able to secretly turn on some feature that's not allowed. Also, this way ruleset would really have an effect that most leagure rules want it to have.

So, my vote for ruleset smackdown allowing allow_scripts 0 only would "yes" in this case, but again, this is slightly offtopic.
2009-08-18, 13:07
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
JohnNy_cz wrote:

This is topic for another discussion, but let's see...

First, replying to the "locked" issue. As allow_scripts 0 disables manmade movement scripts efficiently (in case it was coded properly, I'm sure johnny_cz did that so), and leagues enforce this so if you see -s and [rjscripts blocked] in ruleset reply, you know the scripts can't be used at all even if you have them binded or enabled. So in short, the idea here is that you can't turn a script/feature enabled when it's under the rules and you use both allow_scripts 0 and ruleset smackdown.

Now the second thing. Since allow_scripts 0 is part of leagues and their rules, and also our scene rules (noone likes anyone doing scripted rjs), shouldn't ruleset smackdown actually allow only allow_scripts 0? To me it looks logical that way, because ruleset smackdown won't allow changing those blocked options when you are connected to a server. This way it would make more sure that noone is able to secretly turn on some feature that's not allowed. Also, this way ruleset would really have an effect that most leagure rules want it to have.

So, my vote for ruleset smackdown allowing allow_scripts 0 only would "yes" in this case, but again, this is slightly offtopic.

A naive player like me would think that this is already how it works today, but i guess you learn something new every day. /o\
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-08-26, 22:42
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Actually, allow_scripts 0 was agreed on the smackdown ruleset group 3 years ago, but was forgotten (by me). ezQuake 2.0 will finally have it enforced. I knew something is wrong here, hehe.
2009-08-26, 23:50
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
simply by the reason that qw is easier with this "feature" i vote NO. qw is hard enough. i find qw movement hard to master. idrive makes movement easier, so, it helps. NO
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2009-08-27, 09:11
1329 posts

Apr 2006
mushi wrote:
simply by the reason that qw is easier with this "feature" i vote NO. qw is hard enough. i find qw movement hard to master. idrive makes movement easier, so, it helps. NO

Dunno how to read this (are you trying to say idrive is bad?), but if you voted "no", you basically voted "allow idrive with ruleset smackdown".
2009-08-27, 09:58
459 posts

Mar 2008
I'm pretty sure Mushi meant that this feature should be allowed. I for one, voted YES and wants this feature DISABLED.
2009-08-27, 15:39
99 posts

Feb 2006
I think it should be disabled, based on Renzos first post.
  10 posts on 1 page  1