User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Off Topic  ‹  quakecon 2009
  28 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2009-08-13, 08:04
253 posts

Nov 2007
I know that Fiend will attend on the Con but do u know any others QW players who will play on the tournament?
anyway, I think the winner of the master championship will be Spart1e or Fox.
In CTF I hope that TBA(the US TBA) will be the winner, however Fnatic seems to be f*cking strong, but i just dont like Stermy ...
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-13, 08:36
398 posts

Feb 2006
Still qw at quakecon?
2009-08-13, 08:45
253 posts

Nov 2007
nope. just QL, L4D, TF2 and Warsow as far as i know
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-13, 09:20
312 posts

Feb 2006
So who are Fiend, Spart1e, TBA, Fnatic or Stermy?
2009-08-13, 09:54
253 posts

Nov 2007
You don't know Fiend? Fiend was one of the very best qw players in NA with Def, Kovaak, Yogic, Cyan and Myth.
Spart1e is a great QL/VQ3 sweden dueler, people sais the same about the italian Stermy but i just dont like him since he offered to the less talented quakers that he teaches them for money ( very very lot of money)
the Fnatic guys are the best european ql/q3 players whos will attend on the Con. the lineup is Stermy, link1n, spart1e, deus, fox
However the US TBA has the (imho) best american lineup: DKT, Chance, Griffin, sparks
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-13, 13:01
News Writer
436 posts

Jan 2006
I go for k1llsen!
2009-08-13, 13:28
253 posts

Nov 2007
Sponsored by Fatality His first choice was Noctis, but he refused the offer....
Rapha is very good too... he has a good chance
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-13, 13:40
50 posts

Jul 2009
i also dislike stermy, always hated rail-heavy players in q3/ql
2009-08-13, 14:02
253 posts

Nov 2007
hehe, i found on the attende list the old QW clan, the Boss Kovaak, Cyan and Myth and two other guys ( as i see the names they are the brothers of Cyan and Myth) \o/
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-13, 15:02
398 posts

Feb 2006
they better play some qw instead of those other lame games
2009-08-13, 15:03
133 posts

Sep 2007
I've only started playing Quakelive for a month now, but I also played q3 from 2001 to 2003 so I know the game pretty well.
I wasn't aware which players were any good tho anymore, but i've watched the RAZER ESL challenge VOD, which was really cool. Got my QL duel skill up fast watching the games and listening to the commentators who are great.

But since i'm still pretty new into the QL 'scene' I don't know everyone too well, but from what i've seen my bet would have been on Noctis if he attended, but he declined the free trip he got offered from fatal1ty.. stupid.. Maybe he is shy? Saying you don't like the format of Quakecon while you can win lots of $$ seems odd.

I've only seen some rapha games and his timing/map control looks realllly good, but not sure about his aim. So far i've only seen one Stermy game and he looked damn good.
My guess for the top3 is fox,stermy and rapha.
Spart13e didn't look topnodge to me from what i've seen. Just not that same dominating feeling like a player like noctis has.

CTF is ofcourse great and i'm hoping for fnatic with link1n and deus. 2 players i've played against in 2001-2003 (CTF that is) and were top ctf players back then, but not THE topguns, but people left and they kept getting better I guess since i've heard that they are topnotch ctf players. Really looking forward seeing those games, allthough I've seen lots of DM/duel players in the participating teams so i'm not sure if I'm gonna see toplvl CTF.

Anyways.. I will be watching
2009-08-13, 20:48
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Kwibus wrote:
But since i'm still pretty new into the QL 'scene' I don't know everyone too well, but from what i've seen my bet would have been on Noctis if he attended, but he declined the free trip he got offered from fatal1ty.. stupid.. Maybe he is shy? Saying you don't like the format of Quakecon while you can win lots of $$ seems odd.

Saying you don't like the tournament format when getting the trip from Europe to USA for free for playing a f***ing video game is odd if you ask me.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-08-14, 03:16
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Maybe noctis didn't think he would have the time to prepare for a tournament like the one at quakecon, and would rather see someone more worthy going.
2009-08-14, 08:10
253 posts

Nov 2007
Haha! Fiend is high seeded and Kovaak not i'm pretty sure that kovaak practiced a lot, but under fake names. He signed in to QL every single day, but not played under kovaak name...
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-14, 11:16
37 posts

Jan 2008
With everyone playing to the best of their ability, the top player would be cypher by a mile. But I haven't seen much of him lately, so it's possible that he hasn't been taking it seriously. The other player that is potentially great, but I expect to see fall short, is av3k.

If I were a bookie, I would make cypher the favourite, followed by rapha and fox. This is a great tourney though, because there are a lot of unknowns. Stermy, for instance, I would never have rated highly for a Q3 tournament, but it seems that he has taken a real professional approach to QuakeLive, so it wouldn't surprised me if he did really well. Then there is also Spart1e, av3k and noctis who are capable of winning this. I would be reluctant to name k1llsen as one of those, he and DaHang could cause some upsets but I don't think they could win.

As for the QW players, I'm not surprised to see Fiend seeded... I played Q3 sometimes in California and Fiend was one of the best Q3 players on the west coast... but in those days there were no West players that could compete at a high level in 1v1.

I agree with Kwibus on the CTF... Deus and Linkin didn't become really top players until after 2003, but they did reach a standard to rival any of the top players that came before them and I would expect their team to win the tourney, despite fox and stermy being relatively inexperienced in CTF (they are both such clever players that can adapt quickly to any game type and have great natural awareness). Shame not to see any French team there. Also LLL with Vertex et al. Will be good to watch though.
2009-08-14, 22:58
133 posts

Sep 2007
Aye I would have loved to see the top ctf teams from Europe competing, but a trip like that costs money, but then again the best european ctf team should be able to win the ctf cup.... imo.

Anyways just watched thefnatic vs... some other team and well I must say the lvl linkin has now I haven't seen during the 2001-2003 days... if that's not true I just can't remember, but the offensive rj'ing was great
2009-08-15, 16:35
125 posts

Jan 2008
Ake Vader wrote:
Kwibus wrote:

Saying you don't like the tournament format when getting the trip from Europe to USA for free for playing a f***ing video game is odd if you ask me.

noctis had his reasons for not going, trust me.
2009-08-15, 16:37
125 posts

Jan 2008
Kwibus wrote:
Anyways just watched thefnatic vs... some other team and well I must say the lvl linkin has now I haven't seen during the 2001-2003 days... if that's not true I just can't remember, but the offensive rj'ing was great

link1n has become even better than before yes, however youre forgetting his older brother Appleseed and also thefou who played for aAa (who won quakecon 2003).

On a sidenote, europes best ctf team didnt have the ability to go, thats kinda sad
2009-08-15, 21:42
133 posts

Sep 2007
riosatiy wrote:
Kwibus wrote:

link1n has become even better than before yes, however youre forgetting his older brother Appleseed and also thefou who played for aAa (who won quakecon 2003).

On a sidenote, europes best ctf team didnt have the ability to go, thats kinda sad

Really sad yeh, since this random pickup team wasn't good enough. Lost their semis vs Evil Geniuses who played a lot of ctf together. I mean stermy just railing a bit is ofcourse nice, but I think it would've been better if his position would've been taken by a true ctf player.
2009-08-16, 09:26
253 posts

Nov 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcpOm-EU_6c
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-17, 02:51
37 posts

Jan 2008
riosatiy wrote:
Kwibus wrote:

I'm a huge fan of thefou, and had the misfortune of playing against him many times in Nations Cup and clan games... always rated him as the best CTFer of all time. But... after watching a couple of these games QCON, I think Linkin's mastery of CTF2 is on par with thefou. Hard to tell without damage stats and stuff, but linkin was really impressive. What a shame the two of them can't play on the same aAa team now, with Appleseed or St_G on flag, and Raoul.
2009-08-17, 13:48
133 posts

Sep 2007
Hedgepig wrote:
riosatiy wrote:
Kwibus wrote:

I'm a huge fan of thefou, and had the misfortune of playing against him many times in Nations Cup and clan games... always rated him as the best CTFer of all time. But... after watching a couple of these games QCON, I think Linkin's mastery of CTF2 is on par with thefou. Hard to tell without damage stats and stuff, but linkin was really impressive. What a shame the two of them can't play on the same aAa team now, with Appleseed or St_G on flag, and Raoul.

Impressive line up. I almost consider looking for an ctf team, but I don't think it will go hand in hand with qwtdm with my limited time. QW is still better so I not a too hard choice, beside the fact nothing is happening right now for obvious summer reasons
Best ever is still qwctf tho. Adding runes and the grapple and the insane qw speed. Oh those were the days
2009-08-17, 15:41
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Kwibus wrote:
Hedgepig wrote:
riosatiy wrote:

Impressive line up. I almost consider looking for an ctf team, but I don't think it will go hand in hand with qwtdm with my limited time. QW is still better so I not a too hard choice, beside the fact nothing is happening right now for obvious summer reasons
Best ever is still qwctf tho. Adding runes and the grapple and the insane qw speed. Oh those were the days

Imo Q2CTF was the best flag mode in the Quake series with its grapple, techs and good maps. The hook really added some spice to the movement skills department and the techs really made some difference, something which is lacking in QLCTF. Too bad the game was just too bloated with powerup timers, spike models and what not. :\

The QL tournament looked more like FFA than CTF to me. :F
2009-08-17, 18:44
253 posts

Nov 2007
Ake Vader wrote:
Imo Q2CTF was the best flag mode in the Quake series with its grapple, techs and good maps. T

I agree! especially with the Loki's minions mod.
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-17, 19:22
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Jon Snow wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:
Imo Q2CTF was the best flag mode in the Quake series with its grapple, techs and good maps. T

I agree! especially with the Loki's minions mod.

Never played that, but i think the original Q2CTF had a good pace. When i tried QWCTF it was too fast as you can bunny around corners and grapple-accel on the ground etc.

Weapon/item/ammo/tech drops was another feature that enhanced the teamplay (i don't like it in DM though). Q3CTF is really fkn shallow when you think about it.
2009-08-18, 06:39
133 posts

Sep 2007
Well ofcourse I disagree about like Q2ctf more since I didn't like a single bit about Q2 except for some nice maps.
Too fast doesn't exist.. qwctf usually gives me so much adrenaline that i'm usually totally wasted after playing it for a while. That's because it's so freaking intense and I just love that about qwctf. Despite the pace the addition of the runes really made it $$$. Their also lots of topmaps in qwctf.
It has so much more depth then QLctf of which I agree it looks like FFA sometimes. It's so incredible dependant of midfield control... In qwctf midfield ofcourse is also important, but because of the grapple/runes you can always cross mid like a madman.
Btw the way you put it it's like qwctf the grapple doesn't add to the movement, but being a good grappler is a huge advantage.
I remember the 98-99 days in Holland with Ethereal who was a great grappler for those days and could really drive the defense mad. In the qwctf revival of 2004 I remember HerrZ of DQM really growing in his offense role. At a certain point I hated him coz I was never able to chase him as he was so damn fast. Perfected grappling in a few maps. I miss those days

Anyways.. what QLctf needs are map that ain't ...ehm.. what's the word again? Well what I mean with 2 sides being exactly the same the midfield is always EXTREMELY important. It's hard to balance maps with different sides, but it's cool.
Also add those runes asap. They allready got em, but they don't use the maps with the techs/runes for tournaments(coz most maps are crap) while imo that will add a lot to the depth of ctf.
Except change the current system with the qw system. 4 techs always ready for pickup and always active. The carrier will drop it if he gets killed. This way there will also be a fight for the techs since those techs will give the team carrying them a huge advantage. I loved it how the resistance or DD rune had huge influence on the qwctf games.

Anyways.. I should post this on the QL forums
2009-08-19, 07:27
253 posts

Nov 2007
VODs: http://pipclan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=quakechat&action=display&thread=735
cheat 2 win!
2009-08-19, 11:01
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Would rather wait for the QuadV vods
  28 posts on 1 page  1