User panel stuff on forum
  26 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2009-08-09, 19:09
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
http://www.petitiononline.com/Quake/petition.html

Found on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=quakeworld&init=quick#/group.php?gid=2397604505&ref=search

P.S. Already 12 sign-ups from Poland
2009-08-10, 00:10
252 posts

Dec 2006
I have some qualms and generally believe this is a totally impossible venture . It ought to be 'QuakeWorld' not 'Quake' and it doesn't need to be remade, it just needs id software to pay the current developers and artists (and employ others) of ezQuake, MVDSV, KTX etc. If John Carmack (and Zoid IIRC) had've got their way with QW it would be ruined, they specifically intended to remove bunny hopping and instant weapon switching and who knows what else.
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-08-10, 09:03
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
Righ on that. Carmack had always been reluctant to suggestions, straying off the original Quake in each of the following installments. Instead of making up new "Quake live" variations, they should revitalize the oryginal QW I reckon. If only QW community had more influence and connections that could successfully lobby for it... That would surely bring QW back to life and restore the spotlight of the FPS community.
Anybody knowing Carmack in person, please stand up
2009-08-10, 09:06
1435 posts

Jan 2006
I can't imagine how QuakeWorld would benefit from this. Imagine they'd create new glqwcl.exe... then what?
2009-08-10, 10:07
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
Simply remake of QW without tampering the game code. That would bring some publicity and, more importantly, new players who look after new graphics first.
2009-08-10, 11:59
485 posts

Feb 2006
From Carmack's point of view, Quake was unfinished on release and the sequels are all remakes.
2009-08-10, 20:23
370 posts

Mar 2008
Good luck with this one, ID Software does not own the rights to any quake games as of now. Also, Quake 1 came out in 1996 and doesn't have a big enough fan base. Which means no money for the gaming company.
2009-08-11, 01:09
685 posts

Jul 2007
What's wrong with the quakeworld we have? I don't want a new demanding game. I like it that I never have to buy a new pc to play the game I like.
2009-08-11, 01:11
401 posts

Mar 2006
megalodon wrote:
What's wrong with the quakeworld we have? I don't want a new demanding game. I like it that I never have to buy a new pc to play the game I like.

Because the game is almost dead. Its getting worse and worse each year.
2009-08-11, 01:46
685 posts

Jul 2007
I don't think you will ever get a remake of Quake1 so why waste your energy. I mean, ID Software is busy with other things. Even if you'd get a remake, most people would not be interested in old school shooting games because they want to have more options, like driving/flying in vehicles, new gameplay features, outdoor environments, etc. These aspects also matter when games get reviewed these days. I remember when I was doing a Game Designer education in 1999 that Quake got very bad criticism from my teachers and lot's of students because it was all indoors, boring colors, all the same, 'just running around and shoot', etc. And if ID software keep releasing the same type of games they are called 'an old dog' that can't learn new tricks. So the new game, Rage, is probably a wise direction for ID Software.

BTW: Valve already made a 'remake' called Deathmatch Classic if I remember correctly. That didn't get very popular now did it...
2009-08-11, 02:45
7 posts

Aug 2009
I don't see whats wrong with the QW we have now with ezQuake and all. I think we need more ladders/events.
2009-08-11, 04:07
370 posts

May 2006
We need more players, but the learning curve is high, so that won't happen that easy.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2009-08-11, 06:36
14 posts

Jul 2007
Multiplayer Quake can only appeal to purists today, I think. Purists will always be a fringe group. Other games are simply more exciting.

However, if somebody made Quake more "exciting", purists are going to hate it.
2009-08-11, 06:56
133 posts

Sep 2007
terrorhead wrote:
megalodon wrote:

Because the game is almost dead. Its getting worse and worse each year.

Old news... Last eql had lots of players. Now it's summer and atleast half of the players ain't playing (like me). Once I come back from my holiday (1 october) I will boot irc and quake again. Assuming that eql10 has started or is about to start by then. If all goes according plan all my teammates from previous EQL will be back for EQL10 too. Ofcourse that's never for certain, but we did say so when we entered summerbreak.

Ofcourse qw keeps losing players faster then it gains new players. The only thing that will change this is lots of $$$$.
2009-08-11, 08:46
135 posts

Jan 2006
I'd really like to keep QuakeWorld alive, like probably everyone who loves this game. But we're getting older guys, we have new responsibilities as a husbands, fathers etc. Sometimes we are overworked and don't have free time for games. There are many things which make us inactive on the QW scene. I think it will be worse, without new young players our scene will be smaller and smaller, it's sad but true. QW is amazing, I would play it as much as I could if I had a time. But unfortunately, real life takes all my free time which I can't spend in front of computer anymore...
This petition is a good idea, but be honest Id Software won't do anything with this unless it brings a lot of money for the company. Moreover young people choose more sophisticated games, like someone said, with vehicles, open environment with amazing graphic. QuakeWorld is old-fashioned for them. New Ezquake looks cool but it's still not what young people look for.
MAGNUM 44
2009-08-11, 12:29
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Kwibus wrote:
[...] Ofcourse qw keeps losing players faster then it gains new players. The only thing that will change this is lots of $$$$.

...and getting "lots of $$$$" is probably much, much easier than getting ID Software to do a remake people would be happy with. But...that would require QW players to actually work (in various ways) for it.

I do like any ideas that activates people in QW though, so good luck with this!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-08-14, 04:36
357 posts

Mar 2006
This would be an endeavor strictly by the community. And should be built on Quake4 engine. Hassle some college kids to freely showcase their talent.
QW gameplay isnt true "Quake" gameplay. QW was made to finish where ID left off when they released Quake 1.06. To remake Quake would be to remake the singleplayer. If all you want is better models, sounds, etc then use FTE or Darkplaces and hire some artists.

"Quake REBOOT! Quake, the orginal brought back to like! "

shouldnt that say 'back to life' ??

if someone could make Voice over IP for QW like they did for Quake3 then this would give QW a boost.
easier installation, stats tracking, better security, better models, maybe simple shadows that actually clip to bsp structures, etc etc, but then one COULD make a QW clone in quake4... or maybe stfu and enjoy what u have?
2009-09-10, 22:32
41 posts

Aug 2007
....didn't they already do this?

isn't it called "deathmatch classic" on steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40/

i heard it's kinda like half life: deathmatch, but with all of the old quake levels and physics built in. never gave it a try though.
2009-09-10, 23:26
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
DMC was already mentioned in this thread
2009-09-16, 21:05
7 posts

Aug 2009
more people play QW than DMC hands down.

I think to grab in more players you're going to have to add in something new that other games don't have. With that said, I'm honestly really surprised that TF2 has been as successful as it is. The downside to that, is that compared to TFC and QWTF, it is incredibly dumbed down for new players and filled with gimmicks.

The tier system in QL is a really good idea to introduce new players without having them get destroyed by more experienced players and just give up hope and quit.

But if you just take QW and remake it on a new engine, or make it a freeware game, it may grab a few new players for a short time, but there needs to be something new to keep them playing. The overall FPS gaming community has a very short attention span. Regularly updating/adding content is a good way to keep new players interested, but a clone with new graphics will only work temporarily. And at the same time you want to make something that appeals to the die hard QW fans.

But adding new features and gameplay without hurting the core QW gameplay is the challenge.
2009-09-16, 22:24
793 posts

Feb 2006
this whole idea seems incredible pointless to me. quakeworld *is* the quakeworld engine. remaking the quakeworld experience on a different engine is just... i don't even know, it's just pointless.

quakeworld isn't just a handful of variables plus a weaponsystem and maybe the dmX maps. the physics model alone is a crucial part of the engine (correct me if i'm wrong here, quake c gurus). you can't just take that and recreate that for a different engine. and even if you could, why would you?

edit: tl;dr - qw isn't a mod.
2009-09-17, 12:39
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
<what dEus wrote>
2009-09-17, 12:55
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Yeah, what Dues said. That said though, what could be added to attract more players? I'd like to see a co-op mod with a handful of specifically co-op designed levels (with new monsters even), where 2+ players have gotta work together in some way to complete the level.

Maybe just a bit of promo would be enough, seeing as really it's the fast paced DM experience which really rocks. Uploading all the frag movies to YouTube, perhaps a best-of-the-best highlight reel or something...
2009-09-17, 16:02
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Darff wrote:
Yeah, what Dues said. That said though, what could be added to attract more players? I'd like to see a co-op mod with a handful of specifically co-op designed levels (with new monsters even), where 2+ players have gotta work together in some way to complete the level.

Maybe just a bit of promo would be enough, seeing as really it's the fast paced DM experience which really rocks. Uploading all the frag movies to YouTube, perhaps a best-of-the-best highlight reel or something...

What's needed is an event that would blow everyone's mind away.
2009-10-10, 05:29
252 posts

Dec 2006
As with all things these days it doesn't matter how good qw is, doesn't matter that it's the non-commercial (pseudo)prototype that against all odds has persisted for 12 years and continues to be developed out of love. All that matters is promotion and herding. If id software had profited from all the qw players in the early years and had antipiracy server infrastructure like Blizzard had with Starcraft/BW then they wouldn't have been so positioned to compete with qw via q2 and q3, etc, and now ql, but then again perhaps that would have aborted qw's greatnesss and depth because Carmack and Zoid wanted to remove physics exploits and add weaponswitch delays etc.
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-10-10, 07:54
357 posts

Mar 2006
Hmm I forgot about QuakeLive (wonder how thats going), then it's jus Quake3 sucks all over again.
  26 posts on 1 page  1