User panel stuff on forum
  14 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2009-06-19, 18:17
1435 posts

Jan 2006
In the current common ruleset, it is disallowed to use different textures for backpack, making the backpack together with "the eyes model" the only objects for which it is impossible to increase their visibility.
From time to time I notice random people don't know about this limitation and are kind of surprised it is there.

What do you think about it? What is the reasoning for and against this limitation to be present? E.g.:
+ adds more drama to some teamplay situations when a teammate cannot see a backapck
+ allows you to secretly hide a backpack in a really dark place
+ it was always like that, dont touch anything
- when using r_drawflat with white walls it is quite easy to spot the backpack in most of the places (not all though)
- gl_lighting_vertex 1 makes the dark places even less useful
- we are already using fullbright skins, custom textures for other objects, this only "hard to spot" thing is there by mistake

Any other "pro" and "against" arguments you can think of?
2009-06-19, 19:46
132 posts

Mar 2006
-since flat textures are allowed, its pretty hard to not spot backpack on it
-hide a backpack? You mean commit suicide and drop pack?
-dont touch it - today we have 24bit textures and (ZOMG) custom crosshairs, why it was allowed?

We should allow this.
Mine do no spaek engrish!
2009-06-19, 22:12
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
+ adds more drama to some teamplay situations when a teammate cannot see a backapck
- when using r_drawflat with white walls it is quite easy to spot the backpack in most of the places (not all though)

Those two is what I'm thinking, we often have the "WHERE THE FUCK IS THE PACK?" issue, but yes it's easy to spot if you are using r_drawflat or other kind of simple textures.

So what I'm saying is, that I can't make up my mind about this, as I really like the first issue.
2009-06-19, 22:24
386 posts

Apr 2006
I guess there's merit in either one, and I don't mind playin with either.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that, aside from backpack visibility, there's no other good reason to have ugly flat textures. I know it's not that big of a deal for most of us, but you're essentially forced to make the game ugly for the sake of one singular aspect of the game, and that seems odd.
2009-06-20, 07:46
485 posts

Feb 2006
Using flat/custom map textures shouldn't be an advantage (even if it's a very small one). And we don't want to ban them. For that reason custom backpack texture should be allowed.

Very much the same applies to eyes btw.
2009-06-20, 09:10
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Kalma wrote:
[...]

Exactly what are you saying here? Fullbright eyes? :p
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-06-20, 10:46
793 posts

Feb 2006
If you allow custom textures for backpack you should allow custom models for it as well. that way we can use a bigger pack and make it as visible as a flat-textured small one. otherwise you just make another fullbright texture standard because it gives an advantage. it makes quake ugly.

edit: ok, here it is in standard notation

+ creates a visual standard that prevents the use of draw flat textures which would provide a advantage over users that try to keep their quakeworld visually appealing.
2009-06-20, 21:42
370 posts

May 2006
+ It's fun to look 15 seconds for a backpack and then someone takes it without knowing it!
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2009-06-20, 22:21
485 posts

Feb 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Kalma wrote:
[...]

Exactly what are you saying here? Fullbright eyes? :p

If I dared to say such thing.
2009-06-21, 00:00
115 posts

Mar 2006
who needs fullbright eyes?
http://jogi.netdome.biz/lala.png
one of the good guys! so please don't ban - jogi.netdome.biz
2009-06-21, 04:46
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
lol wtf xD
2009-06-21, 12:20
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
jogihoogi wrote:

OLD!
2009-06-22, 15:23
805 posts

Mar 2006
Zalon wrote:
jogihoogi wrote:

OLD!

Is this bug already corrected?
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2009-06-22, 15:58
1435 posts

Jan 2006
it's not a bug, it's yet another ego burst .. yes it's possible to cheat in numerous ways in qw or any other game
now stay on topic please
  14 posts on 1 page  1