User panel stuff on forum
  2 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2009-06-14, 22:54
357 posts

Nov 2008
It happens to me, that when i connect a server, for example in port 1, i get 90ms, and if i connect to the port 2 i get 77ms (just an example) and sometimes in one port i have more than 10PL but in the other port(s) i have 0 PL, same goes if im in port 1 with 90ms 15PL and i reconnect by the same server proxy i get 77ms 0PL. For example i connect in geeky.cc:27501 and i get 90ms 15PL, but if i connect to geeky.cc:27502 or if i do
"setifo prx geeky.cc:27501; connect geeky.cc:30000" i get 77ms 0PL. Hope you can understand me.

I provide 2 sshots:
http://img10.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=port3i.jpg

When i test this, i havent got downloads or any other programs running in my machine (cant be autoupdates or something)
I just want to know why this happens, and if i can do something for have lowest ping, 0 PL in all ports withouth proxy, its really annoying to say all people -Lets move to the same server next port....

I tested in qw-dev, geeky.cc and xs4all servers.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-06-14, 23:10
188 posts

Jan 2007
I'd say that your ISP, or somone along the route from your ISP to your destination, is using the destination port number as the (or part of the) algorithm to choose a route. What you can try if you're curious, and you're using an operating system that doesn't have tools that were taken from BSD in the early eighties and never updated, is to have some fun with traceroute.

Traceroute by default uses UDP packets for probing, which is perfect for your testing. With the -p option, you can set the base port used by traceroute when sending out probes. According to my man page, port 33434 is the default, so first try something like:

traceroute -p 33434 geeky.cc

And then

traceroute -p 33435 geeky.cc

And see if the routes printed differ.
  2 posts on 1 page  1