User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
European Quake League
2009-04-28, 17:50
569 posts

Feb 2006
This is more some general thoughts on league games that does not use fixed schedule, not directly related to EQL.

1. I think the 1-1 voided game should never be used. The activity point should be awarded for teams that make an effort to get the game played. If teams couldnt agree on a time to play, not enough effort was put in.

2. Dont give WOs for all games. Just for games where one team can prove they put an effort in to get the game played.

edit: With an effort I mean an serious Attempt to schedule the game and then showing up on time for the scheduled game.

Spamming the serv-me bot with "eql divX now vs my team" at 24.00cet on a week day should not count as a sign for activity.
2009-04-28, 17:57
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Willgurht wrote:
1. I think the 1-1 voided game should never be used. The activity point should be awarded for teams that make an effort to get the game played. If teams couldnt agree on a time to play, not enough effort was put in.

Voided battle = no points. You didn't play, you get nothing, pretty logical step? (EDIT: wtf does this actually mean?)

Willgurht wrote:
2. Dont give WOs for all games. Just for games where one team can prove they put an effort in to get the game played. Attempts to schedule the game

Why not be an asshole and actually deduct points from the team that won't play? The team that tried to get the game played gets nothing but the other one gets punishment.

I don't know if that's actually a good idea but at least this way there (probably) wouldn't be teams who only play the "required" games against weaker opponents to get in the playoffs, because if they refused to play against better opponents (give WOs) that would hinder their unfair efforts a lot.
Servers: Troopers
2009-04-28, 20:04
1435 posts

Jan 2006
"Voided 1-1 game" in this EQL actually ment that one particular clan gained 2 "free" points in a game where they had pretty low chance getting those in the actual game.

Don't give out any walk-overs, have a closed period of 2 days at the end when teams can request walk-overs and then 2 days when the opponents can reply; after that give out only justifiable walk-overs and nothing else.
These "wtf did you do we didnt expect this" discussions at the end of regular season kinda happen every time.
2009-04-29, 08:02
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
The problem is that clans sign up for a league, feel like they are misplaced, loses 4-5 games, loses interest and stop playing (the clan can ofc stop playing for other reasons as well). the clans who didnt get to play them wont get a fair chance to earn those points.

Imo clans that dont play all their games should get kicked but we cannot afford to do that with such a small scene, we have to have some room for unexpected stuff or other issues such as irl commitments.

I dont like to see a season end with clans having played everything from 6 to 12 games because the standings dont represent a full season and its boring to base the playoffs on this. Maybe the admins of the leagues should be harder and kick after 1-2 WO's.

Untill then i agree with JohnNy_cz's idea above
Chosen
2009-04-29, 09:02
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Willgurht wrote:

All voided games in EQL gave 0 points to both teams. It just shows 1-1 on the site, to show that it's a voided game. As 1-0 is a WO.

Willgurht wrote:
2. Dont give WOs for all games. Just for games where one team can prove they put an effort in to get the game played.

In division 3 that I handled, WO's were given to teams that had tried to get a game going vs either AMFW, DOOM, DC or FIAN.
2009-04-29, 10:11
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
"Voided 1-1 game" in this EQL actually ment that one particular clan gained 2 "free" points in a game where they had pretty low chance getting those in the actual game.

Just for your information, and everyone else that read this:

There is a difference between voided game (which means the game is just deleted, no change in points), and the 1-1 situation when 2 clans have been trying to schedule a game but hasn't been able to find a date that works for both teams.

These so called "free" 2 points you are talking about should have been 1 point each. But as we looked at the standings on the page we noticed that 1 or 2 points didn't matter at all, it would have given the same end result. It just saved us some work remaking the webpage. (I looked at the sourcecode to the page, and it's not as easy as to change "+2" to "+1", but made in such a way that no matter what game is reported it loops and add points regarding of how many maps has been played. It would require pretty much work from what I saw, having to recode much of the stuff, and since it didn't matter to the standings. We didn't change it for this season.)

Is that explanation sufficient for you?
2009-04-29, 11:28
485 posts

Feb 2006
Each team should give two weekly match dates when they can play. On these dates they can not refuse to play an overdue match.
  7 posts on 1 page  1