User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2009-03-11, 04:56
156 posts

Mar 2006
Hey, I got a new computer yesterday, so I decided to give ezQuake a shot, but I have a weird problem:

When I exec my CFG everything seems to work fine, but as soon as I taskswitch to windows (and back), my fps are decreased to either 60 or 85 (depending on my computer's mood it seems) and my mouse settings are fucked (sensitivity different + mouse accel on). This happens despite in_mouse 3 and vid_vsync 0. Any ideas?

I've tried using my old fuhQuake install (which is now on an external HDD) and i get roughly the same problem. stable 77 fps when I exec my cfg, stable 60 and fucked mouse settings when i taskswitch back.

Seen as it happens in both clients and seen as fuhQuake doesn't even have settings like in_mouse, I'm assuming it might have something to do with my hardware/drivers/setup? But I really have no idea where to look.
2009-03-11, 09:49
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
soma with a new pc... OMG!

You wouldn't be using an ATI video card would you?
2009-03-11, 11:28
156 posts

Mar 2006
Zalon wrote:
soma with a new pc... OMG!

You wouldn't be using an ATI video card would you?

Hehe, yeah it was about time after 7 years.

No, it wasn't ATI and I found the error. VSync was set to active in the gfx drivers and re-enabled every time I taskswitched. Weirdly that also changed my mouse settings.
2009-03-11, 11:44
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Ok, be aware that the default nQuake config also has vsync enabled in on_join_spec
2009-03-11, 12:22
386 posts

Apr 2006
soma wrote:
VSync was set to active in the gfx drivers and re-enabled every time I taskswitched

Nice one. I've heard of this problem a lot but haven't been able to help people fix it until now.

Oh, and welcome to 21st century quakeworld, Soma!
2009-03-11, 12:36
156 posts

Mar 2006
Stev wrote:
Nice one.

Seen as I'm incapable of achieving anything computer-related, I gotta admit: When I wrote "I found the error" I obviously meant "someone found the error for me". In this case it was the mighty mighty bigfoot. Thanks again, danskjävel.
2009-03-11, 14:24
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Dunno how he was able to figure that one out, as afaik he doesn't even have a pc and i don't even think he has tried windows since 98
2009-03-11, 17:31
251 posts

Jul 2007
Zalon wrote:
Dunno how he was able to figure that one out, as afaik he doesn't even have a pc and i don't even think he has tried windows since 98

He just compiles the stuff in-head to debug such things. :p
2009-03-15, 03:01
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Stev wrote:
Nice one. I've heard of this problem a lot but haven't been able to help people fix it until now.

Zalon wrote:

That's like the first thing you do after installing GFX card drivers, go to your video card's control panel and turn off the vsync. How can this be "an unknown" or "hard to solve" problem? bE
Servers: Troopers
2009-03-16, 14:46
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Renzo wrote:
That's like the first thing you do after installing GFX card drivers, go to your video card's control panel and turn off the vsync. How can this be "an unknown" or "hard to solve" problem? bE

soma wrote:
When I exec my CFG everything seems to work fine, but as soon as I taskswitch to windows (and back), my fps are decreased to either 60 or 85 (depending on my computer's mood it seems) and my mouse settings are fucked (sensitivity different + mouse accel on). This happens despite in_mouse 3 and vid_vsync 0.

His post said mouse errors and random fps, and that he had vid_vsync 0
  10 posts on 1 page  1