User panel stuff on forum
  35 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Server Talk
2009-03-09, 19:18
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
The servers have now 3 allround ports and qwfwd + QTV!!

QTV: http://conus.mine.nu:28000/nowplaying/ (will be added to metaqtv www.quakeworld.tv )

conus.mine.nu:27501
conus.mine.nu:27502
conus.mine.nu:27503

Latest mvdsv/ktx + qtv

conus.mine.nu:30000 = qwfwd

enjoy and thnx to conus and renzo (server is in Linköping, Sweden)!
2009-03-29, 08:01
88 posts

Dec 2008
Lagged rockets and grenades (jittering).
Please, set for high-end smoothing:
sv_mintic 0.001
sv_maxtic 0.1
http://qw2.ru - my servers and demos collection since 1999 via ftp :>
2009-03-29, 10:16
42 posts

Apr 2007
... and add a clanarena port :-)
http://www.rocketz.se - a quakeworld blog in the 21st century
2009-03-30, 14:54
64 posts

Jan 2009
Spzman wrote:
sv_mintic 0.001
sv_maxtic 0.1

Has been done. Was using default values from svn before and had no idea what those sv_?? did.

RocketZ wrote:
... and add a clanarena port :-)

Gonna look into it
2009-03-31, 12:15
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Spzman wrote:
sv_mintic 0.001
sv_maxtic 0.1

That most certainly is because of you using independent physics in ezQuake while your max- and minping to the server differ.
2009-03-31, 13:17
64 posts

Jan 2009
sv_mintic and sv_maxtic are back to default values.
added clanarena at port 27500.

Also try the blumasq map. It's really nice for 1on1 and great action in 2on2 :p
2009-04-02, 14:10
88 posts

Dec 2008
fog wrote:
Spzman wrote:
sv_mintic 0.001
sv_maxtic 0.1

That most certainly is because of you using independent physics in ezQuake while your max- and minping to the server differ.

Wrong! I found that problem on dependent physic and i have stable ping.

Sv_mintic and sv_maxtic defines max- and min- frequency per second for calculating physical events for all entities on map, but players (models: map entities, powerups, armors, weapons, ng-spikes, sng-spikes, grenades, rockets...).

I cant tell how all works (too complex), but in two words: server calculator (sv_mintic) not synchonized with network packet generator (serverinfo maxfps). And that may generate (up to 12-ms) delayed data for non-player objects, that different for each packet, not even stable delay.

Solve this problem: sv_mintic 0.001 that increases rate for server-side event-calculator, so each packet will have latest data.

Client-side command cl_newlerp 0.1 hides jitter (unstable delay) problem for entities, but setting
sv_mintic 0.001 (with cl_newlerp 0) solves the reason, not consequence and make server nicer (smoother) for players with any ping
2009-04-02, 20:07
405 posts

Jan 2006
Spzman wrote:
sv_mintic 0.001 (with cl_newlerp 0) solves the reason, not consequence and make server nicer (smoother) for players with any ping

Consequence is few times more CPU usage, altred physics and that not. I can agree with sv_mintic 0.01 somehow (default is 0.013), but 0.001 is kinda overkill since that will trigger phisics calculation almost each time client packet arrives.
<3
2009-04-02, 20:15
1329 posts

Apr 2006
qqshka wrote:
Spzman wrote:

Consequence is few times more CPU usage, altred physics and that not. I can agree with sv_mintic 0.01 somehow (default is 0.013), but 0.001 is kinda overkill since that will trigger phisics calculation almost each time client packet arrives.

yo plz let's break stuff without properly knowing what they do, this setting is teh shit! u wrong!

Sarcasm aside, it's great that finally someone who knows what he's talking about clears some things.

(read: please don't change the server default values that are not mentioned in the installation help)
Servers: Troopers
2009-04-03, 20:39
88 posts

Dec 2008
CPU "usage" was actual 6-7 years ago on Celeron-333.
Today any slowest server have enough CPU-time for sv_mintic 0.001
And actually this work (qw-server) for CPU means not usage, its just interruption (hope you can understand difference).

Renzo, i pesonally know how it works, asked Tonik about this for sure.
Hope qqshka can tell it, my english is too bad to do this.

EDIT: English only, use irc/query to get your private matters settled in russian
2009-04-03, 21:21
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Rules of the QW.nu forum wrote:
2) Please post in English only.
2009-04-03, 21:43
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Spzman wrote:
CPU "usage" was actual 6-7 years ago on Celeron-333.
Today any slowest server have enough CPU-time for sv_mintic 0.001
And actually this work (qw-server) for CPU means not usage, its just interruption (hope you can understand difference).

There was no KTX 6-7 years ago. KTX takes quite a bit more CPU resources than any qwprogs.dat does. On 1,8GHz p4 it's up to 3,7% for each player at sv_mintic 0.001 making it really bad if you wanted to have 4on4 ports more than one, since the servers can start behaving badly when cpu-usage is around 60-70% or more.

I do remember running KTPro servers on dual P2-400, 6 ports duel, 4 ports 2on2 and 2 ports 4on4 without a hitch, but with KTX that is impossible. If you want to use .QVM then it becomes something that is beyond impossible, not to mention using that small valued sv_mintic that increases the cpu load.

Edit: The test, 10on10, povdmm4 + pineflood and moving clowns.

model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
cpu MHz : 1794.644
cache size : 256 KB
MemTotal: 1036180 kB

sv_mintic 0.013 -> up to 17%
sv_mintic 0.001 -> up to 31%

Not the most accurate test, but should be telling something at least.
2009-04-03, 21:48
405 posts

Jan 2006
EDIT: English only, use irc/query to get your private matters settled in russian
<3
2009-04-03, 23:21
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
english please
2009-04-05, 08:22
88 posts

Dec 2008
Renzo, that the point.
Real CPU-load may be cheked over power consuption or temperature change, not over showed program parameter, that simply means counts of interruptions, thoose may be easy-to-do (qw-server) or heavy-to-do (3d-rendering).
If i create highest-priority program that will be count every 0.01 ms 2+2, this will show same load like heaviest 3d-rendering. They both takes interruption, but real CPU-time (length and complex of calculation) and power consumption, will different in about 1000 times.

So dont care about qw-server CPU usage, its not real load.

Sassa, sorry but i cant talk about some features on english, because of my bad english.
All solutions will be presented in english of cource.

2009-04-05, 09:03
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Spzman wrote:
Renzo, that the point.
Real CPU-load may be cheked over power consuption or temperature change, not over showed program parameter, that simply means counts of interruptions, thoose may be easy-to-do (qw-server) or heavy-to-do (3d-rendering).

Spzman wrote:
So dont care about qw-server CPU usage, its not real load.

You can't measure cpu-load with power consumption or temperature change alone since only parts of the cpu could be loaded heavily (fpu, alu, but not both necessarily). Also if cpu usage is 100% it means that the cpu cycles are fully reserved and depending on the process priorities things might work or then not. A good example can be found from running ezQuake (reservers 100% of the cpu) on single core system with high or realtime, stuff in the background runs slowly even if you use low fps that should lower the cpu need of the ezQuake.

None of that matters, only thing that matters is when cpu% goes high enough, qw servers start behaving badly (packet loss). The example I gave you is half-way there already, so another 10on10 port would be disastrous already on such a machine, especially if had even more ports available.

I have already seen such behaviour that causes massive pl all the time (wargamez) due to high cpu utilization.

Spzman wrote:
Sassa, sorry but i cant talk about some features on english, because of my bad english.
All solutions will be presented in english of cource.

Then you will have to learn how to express yourself in english better. Two administrators have already told you not to post in russian because the rules say so, and I seem to be the third one. This is an international forum and everyone has to be able to understand what they read, it's that simple.
2009-04-05, 16:43
88 posts

Dec 2008
Who erased all russian messages ?
2009-04-05, 17:07
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Spzman wrote:
Who erased all russian messages ?

admins did that, you got two warnings about it, you can privmessage anyone here with what ever language you want but you cant write in other languages than english on the forum!

please stay ON the topic now with english only!

(admins: Me, Johnny_cz and Renzo)
2009-04-05, 21:20
88 posts

Dec 2008
Bad that u used your previligions to destroy some good ideas.

If i was admin, i did warning for you, about deleting messages before action, to copy them atleast.

Raise your IQ to be more friendly with people from qw-community.
2009-04-05, 21:39
1435 posts

Jan 2006
We made sure that qqshka read your first message, so no need to worry there. And I see nothing wrong on deleting messages which violate rules EVEN AFTER a warning from admin. If you have a problem with particular admin decision, send private message to the particular admin or another admin.
Further offtopic messages will be deleted from here.
2009-04-06, 09:30
357 posts

Mar 2006
So okay, maybe my #1 gripe about some qw servers are the jitter from projectiles and some players, whats the best setting for me if I use independent physics?
Or is that strictly a server setting issue?
2009-05-14, 23:01
64 posts

Jan 2009
Late "notice", I know.. Just a heads up really as I've gotten questions mainly from russian players (about the qwfwd).

Due to moving, the server has been taken down. It will however come back up some time in june if there's a need for it at all.
Heard some new swedish servers (and qwfwds) were brought up, so if there's no need for another swe server - I'll just play for now
2009-05-14, 23:07
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
there is always need for more servers!! always
2009-05-15, 22:25
64 posts

Jan 2009
Ok, will post something here once it's up and gonna try to replace my awful Ubuntu install with something more enjoyable.
Thinking Gentoo (lovely) or maybe some Debian that I never need to look at once I've gotten stuff working :p
2009-05-15, 23:01
347 posts

Feb 2006
Go Debian. Never Gentoo for servers!
2009-05-16, 06:50
1329 posts

Apr 2006
raz0 wrote:
Never Gentoo for servers!

"Great" insight? I think not.

Out of the two I rather use Gentoo, if only because of the portage/emerge. However, running a Gentoo server takes a bit more effort than just running Debian. In any case, they both pale in comparison to BSDs so...
2009-05-16, 07:41
347 posts

Feb 2006
Well, I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you value stability for your servers, which most people do when they think of servers, then Gentoo is probably not a good idea. Why? Because it is by definition unstable, since your packages are not tested (they're freshly compiled from source). Sure you can do it for fun on your own pet server, where you're not accountable to anyone if shit hits the fan, but I wouldn't recommend it as a general strategy. You don't need to know much about modern compilers (hello, GCC?) to know that they have a tendancy to have bugs, so whatever version you have might either not compile the code at all, or worse, compile bugs into the binary that break in unpredictable ways. On top of that comes the question of why you would even want to compile from source in the first place. Then there's the problem Gentoo tries to keep you bleeding edge at all times, which isn't good for servers either. But don't take my word for it. After all, I haven't run a Gentoo server. Instead, look at e.g. the comments to this story at Slashdot. People with many years experience with Gentoo don't recommend it for servers either.
2009-05-16, 09:33
1329 posts

Apr 2006
You are making a lot of assumptions. For example Gentoo will not offer you ~arch stuff by default, you have to enable it yourself (or at least I have always had to). Another thing is, Gentoo is not like Windows with automatic updates, so it will not try to do updates on its own. Also Gentoo has stable releases like any other distribution, so put it running once and it should be fine, update only critical issues if required.

raz0 wrote:
But don't take my word for it. After all, I haven't run a Gentoo server.

Yes, I prefer my own experience over what you say, especially when you say you haven't run a Gentoo server. Everyone can say whatever they wish, but it's totally different when you actually do something yourself rather than "read & believe".

Like I said:
Renzo wrote:
However, running a Gentoo server takes a bit more effort than just running Debian.

So if you just want to "run" a server, then use something else. Gentoo isn't your average "install and be happy" OS that doesn't require user input (a lot). One thing is sure though, and I even admit it: If you're planning to do "update world", reserve some time for it and the aftermath (let's see, smiley here ).

EDIT: None of my current servers actually have Gentoo. But the one I use to build project stuff is actually Gentoo x86_64 system, and it's the only one that is able to make working binaries for almost all of the other systems. (Got FC8, Debian, FreeBSD, both x86 and x86_64 systems)
2009-05-16, 12:25
347 posts

Feb 2006
Well, you didn't really address any of my points except the one about Gentoo trying to keep you bleeding edge. Sure, you don't *have* to update if you don't want to, but the problem is that Gentoo doesn't backport security updates much (at all?), so you are eventually forced to upgrade (I don't assume you want to get r00ted ) with all the dependencies that brings. In other words, you can't just install a Gentoo server and not upgrade it for three years (or however long the support period is for other distros).

Also, it's very true that nothing beats hands on experience. Admittedly I haven't used Gentoo - ever. Still, (and I will avoid any lame analogy here) it's sometimes possible to determine if something is a good idea or not without trying it first. I think that's the case with Gentoo on servers. I'm not saying you should NEVER (don't quote my previous post - I know that's exactly what I said, but that was with a wink in the eye ) use Gentoo for servers, only that it's usually not the best option - by far. Why? Precisely for the reaons stated in my previous reply: For servers stability is (usually) the most important factor, and Gentoo is by *definition* unstable, since there is no testing of binaries, since they are compiled for the individual machine.

Now, usually you want *some* bleeding edge stuff on a server, say two or three apps (tops!). You can manage instability in those few apps if you really need them to be bleeding edge. That's all fine and dandy, however you don't want your kernel and all of userland to be unstable at the same time! That's stuff you just expect to be working.
2009-05-16, 12:57
1329 posts

Apr 2006
raz0 wrote:
For servers stability is (usually) the most important factor, and Gentoo is by *definition* unstable, since there is no testing of binaries, since they are compiled for the individual machine.

Again with the assumptions. Where does this "because it's compiled on my machine it WILL BE unstable" come from? The programs that come with Gentoo (not ~arch stuff) have proper Makefiles and unless the user itself has forced some strange compiler flags, the compiled binaries will be stable.

Unless of course, the user has failed with different libraries, or done something else horribly wrong. Or if you have shitty hardware and the compilation fails or makes bad binaries, but in this case it doesn't matter at all where the binary is compiled, it will fail anyway, not because it is erroneous, but because the hardware running it can't run it stable.

I'm not saying what distro people should use on their servers, but I won't agree on claims like "Never Gentoo for servers!" only because someone read something over at the slashdot or whereever. First-hand experience is (almost) all that matters, even though you can get some heads-up reading comments from people. Then you can disagree.
  35 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page