User panel stuff on forum
  14 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2009-02-18, 11:21
125 posts

Jan 2008
Hi, This was the first thing except sticky grenades in this game that made me think "Wtf - is it really supposed to be this way".

The scenario is: You fire a rocket/grenade (its even more clear on grenades) and before the projectile hit something and explodes you take the Quad Damage, the normal rocket you already fired for 0.5s ago magically transforms into a 4xDMG Quadrocket.

My question was as I said earlier:
"Wtf - is it really supposed to be this way"?!?!?!?!?!
2009-02-18, 11:26
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Yes. It has been this way a long long time. Even some DM2 tactics guide from the year 1999 clearly states that when you rjump to quad, remember to fire rocket to the lower area (water or spawn) since it will turn into quaded rocket once you get the quad damage.

The quad effect will also die at the same time you die, turning rockets to normal if quad dies before the rocket hits.
Servers: Troopers
2009-02-18, 11:31
125 posts

Jan 2008
Okay, thanks Renzo for the good response.
This would probably qualify to be one of those things that is broken, but since its been there for long and has turned into a part of the game. It would be more wrong to fix it. (I have that pov too)
Am I right?
2009-02-18, 12:04
950 posts

Apr 2006
Right indeed.
It can create pretty nice situations actually
2009-02-18, 12:13
1329 posts

Apr 2006
It's special charasteristics of QW and has been like that too long time to get it changed, I'm not really willing to start changing it to other way around. Also I don't think it's a bug but rather "by design".
2009-02-18, 12:25
229 posts

Aug 2007
I agree with Renzo about "in design". It's not a realistic game or how else you'd even get quad damage to your _shells_ with some artifact? I love it! <3
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2009-02-18, 13:03
125 posts

Jan 2008
I dont think it was "by design" but rather "overlooked" anyway I dont want to change it either, just wanted to hear some info about it since Its pretty strange
2009-02-18, 13:04
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Oh the wondrous secrets of QuakeWorld. Never knew about this.

I wonder if this spawns another "must be fixed because it makes the game too random and unpredictable!" discussion...
2009-02-18, 14:38
386 posts

Apr 2006
Why would it? It's perfectly predictable, not at all random, and has been an intrinsic part of gameplay for years. Just watch how often people fire a defensive rocket down to ng at dm2 just before taking quad to surprise the attackers.

It might not be the most intuitive implementation (ie. most people wouldn't guess how it works first time they pick up a quad), but it's no less valid so there's no reason to change it and many reasons to leave it.
2009-02-18, 17:55
173 posts

Jun 2008
It was prolly by design to save a bit of space. rox have a parent (player) so why bother adding info to the rock (when quad ends / has quad) when you can access that info from the parent ;-)

/me looks a Renzo for confirmation or "no you silly fk" ;-)
2009-02-23, 14:52
405 posts

Jan 2006
Grump wrote:
It was prolly by design to save a bit of space. rox have a parent (player) so why bother adding info to the rock (when quad ends / has quad) when you can access that info from the parent ;-)

It's poor design, you right. There areldy done some fix to this quad behaviour, so popular quad bores was broken since sometimes quader died before damage was applied to opponent(s), so opponent(s) get normal damage and not 4x, so it was like "WTF HOW THIS FUCKER SURVIVE AFTER MY QUAD ROCKET IN TO HIS FACE?!!?!?!?", it was fun part of the gameplay for ages, but fuckers fixed it :<
<3
2009-02-23, 15:24
245 posts

Jan 2006
I can't see why someone whine at this at all, if you are good enough to kill someone with quad his rocket should'nt be able to kill you hence quad is over..
2009-02-24, 02:47
1329 posts

Apr 2006
qqshka wrote:
There areldy done some fix to this quad behaviour, so popular quad bores was broken since sometimes quader died before damage was applied to opponent(s), so opponent(s) get normal damage and not 4x, so it was like "WTF HOW THIS FUCKER SURVIVE AFTER MY QUAD ROCKET IN TO HIS FACE?!!?!?!?", it was fun part of the gameplay for ages, but fuckers fixed it :<

Totally illogical though.

You fire the rocket and it hits, the object that got hit is the one getting the damage first, after that becomes the radius damage and surrounding players suffer from it, including the quadguy if he's close enough.

If we wanted to be funny we could actually do the damage chronologically depending on the distance of the hit. Let's say there are 3 people close to each other and the one is quaded. The quaded guy hits one of the opponents in face due to 1337 rocket skills but is sadly within the radius of the blast and dies. There is one opponent/teammate behind him who suffers only normal damage since he is furher away from the blast than the quaded guy and the shockwave kills the quaded guy first thus killing the quad-effect too.

Well perhaps not, but that would really be funny.
2009-08-22, 06:20
132 posts

Apr 2007
Why is this strange? When you take it youre projectiles are imbued with the power of quad, and its lost when you die? Its not broken, its no bug..

Logic in the realm of the ancient rune spirits.
  14 posts on 1 page  1