User panel stuff on forum
  24 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2008-12-31, 03:08
357 posts

Nov 2008
Is there any way to make hitsounds running in quakeworld?
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2008-12-31, 13:09
1329 posts

Apr 2006
No.

QW isn't Q3.
Servers: Troopers
2008-12-31, 13:19
357 posts

Nov 2008
i never talked about q3, most of games have hitsounds and i find it very usefull
2008-12-31, 13:56
347 posts

Feb 2006
You're unlikely to see hitsounds in QW except for mods (pro-x has it). The reason? It would be considered cheating, since it does give an advantage over not having hit sounds.
2008-12-31, 15:40
312 posts

Feb 2006
What are these hitsounds?
2008-12-31, 17:18
251 posts

Jul 2007
raz0 wrote:
You're unlikely to see hitsounds in QW except for mods (pro-x has it). The reason? It would be considered cheating, since it does give an advantage over not having hit sounds.

I know that you're playing the role of the advocatus diaboli here, so this is not personal, but what kind of reason is that? Mice give you an advantage over keyboard-only players. Are mice cheating? I guess what time! wants is hitsounds for everyone and not solely for him. We - the community - added a lot of stuff to QW later on that "could be considered cheating." Why not hitsounds?

So if KTX or some other mod adds hitsounds I wouldn't mind.
2008-12-31, 17:21
251 posts

Jul 2007
mipa wrote:
What are these hitsounds?

When you hit a player a short sound like "ding" is played: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yncRDXi92nk (sucky video warning!)
2008-12-31, 18:41
1329 posts

Apr 2006
pattah wrote:
raz0 wrote:

I know that you're playing the role of the advocatus diaboli here, so this is not personal, but what kind of reason is that? Mice give you an advantage over keyboard-only players. Are mice cheating? I guess what time! wants is hitsounds for everyone and not solely for him. We - the community - added a lot of stuff to QW later on that "could be considered cheating." Why not hitsounds?

So if KTX or some other mod adds hitsounds I wouldn't mind.

KTX will not be having hitsounds ever.

The reason is very simple: QW is a professional class game where you have to know by seeing or hearing the hit you make to the enemy so that you can make your move or not. You will not be able to hear or even see if you actually hit some long distance flood rocket that wasn't even meant to hit.

For example in dm2 if you get a frag, and flood rocket from big/corridor to low rl and won't go after it, you might or might not hit the enemy IF he spawned there. If you didn't notice it then he might survive with 5hp, grab the ra/100h and frag you at big. If you have hitsounds, you don't have to be even close and you know you hit something, also knowing the place where the hit happened you can pretty easily go there and kill the helpless 5hp spawn.

This dumbs down the game and tells you if you hit good or not, it's not that easy to tell in QW always. Having hitsounds like in Q3/CPMA will not only tell you if you hit, but how good was the hit. The best part in QW is that when you think you scored 3 good shots and go for the kill, your opponent is actually in good health and you end up dying yourself.

Quote:
most of games have hitsounds and i find it very usefull

Most of the games have balanced weapons, balanced armors, balanced maps, slight invulnerability after death and so on. Those games, however, are not QW, so comparing QW to any of them, or comparing features of those games to the features of QW won't do any good.

So asking new features to QW is most likely going to end up in nothing added. Even the team-overlay (q3-like feature) hasn't been accepted by half the players, and it's a feature that was actually added, and it's not allowed in 4on4 leagues either (except for rookies?). QW will remain faithful to the original QW, slight tweaking has happened over the years but nothing really groundbreaking. If you are not satisfied how QW has been the past 12 years, I think it's better to play that other game you like more.
2008-12-31, 20:57
28 posts

Aug 2008
oUCH
"Together we stand, divided we fall"
2008-12-31, 21:43
344 posts

Apr 2007
don't add it. its lame
2008-12-31, 21:44
344 posts

Apr 2007
and I always thought the noise was dumb when I briefly played q3
2009-01-01, 05:34
232 posts

Feb 2006
I experimented with hit sounds in jawnmode, there's a lot I could say about them but not today.

One thing you blokes might find interesting however is that I wanted to use native Quake sounds instead of requiring people to download some. I don't remember how that went, I don't think it worked out.
vb.drok-radnik.com
2009-01-01, 14:11
405 posts

Jan 2006
Hitsound overrated I think and only useful for "projectile" based weapons that is ONLY RL and GL for QW. QW played on tb3/tb5 and there not that much places where you can't hear normal enemy pain sound after you hit it. The first and the last example where hit sound may be useful is dm2 path (like in Renzo's example), but other maps just don't have such tight and long paths . Obviously, one can try argue and give some other examples where hitsound may be applied, but that whould be artifical or too rare examples IMO. Also hit sound does not tells about actual damage, you can only guess.
<3
2009-01-01, 14:27
1329 posts

Apr 2006
qqshka wrote:
Also hit sound does not tells about actual damage, you can only guess.

The hitsound in CPMA can tell you if you hit good or bad. The sound is lighter/heavier based on the damage dealt, so if you just scratch your opponent by rocket splash, then it will sound considerably different from scoring a dh with rl. The lower the pitch, the more damage you made.

There are four levels of hitsounds in CPMA, for 25, 50, 75 and 100 points of damage, so you can really tell how much you did damage, at least.
2009-01-01, 15:32
357 posts

Nov 2008
Quote:
Most of the games have balanced weapons, balanced armors, balanced maps, slight invulnerability after death and so on. Those games, however, are not QW, so comparing QW to any of them, or comparing features of those games to the features of QW won't do any good.

Im not comparing quakeworld with other games i only want say that im not talking about q3 hitsounds

Quote:
So asking new features to QW is most likely going to end up in nothing added. Even the team-overlay (q3-like feature) hasn't been accepted by half the players, and it's a feature that was actually added, and it's not allowed in 4on4 leagues either (except for rookies?). QW will remain faithful to the original QW, slight tweaking has happened over the years but nothing really groundbreaking. If you are not satisfied how QW has been the past 12 years, I think it's better to play that other game you like more.

Maybe you understood me bad or i explain bad, read again i said "Is possible to make hitsounds running in quakeworld?" seems like you understood: Make hitsounds, and put by default in all new clients for all players.No. I was only friendly asking if its possible in theory, for my own test. i dont want change qw, so please dont blame me

btw: happy new year to all quakers
2009-01-01, 15:38
705 posts

Feb 2006
ofcourse it is possible
2009-01-01, 18:41
251 posts

Jul 2007
Renzo wrote:
KTX will not be having hitsounds ever.

That's fine too.

When I said that I wouldn't mind, I exactly meant it that way. I don't need to have that feature to be implemented at all. The impact isn't that big either way, I think. Of course there should to be a consent whether new features are being added to a mod/client or whether they are necessary at all, but in the end it's all up to the developer(s) anyway.

qqshka wrote:
Hitsound overrated I think and only useful for "projectile" based weapons that is ONLY RL and GL for QW.

I think it also gives you a better feedback when using shaft. The "ding ding ding" frequency is higher, when you hit the opponent more often. But I agree that its usefulness is somewhat overrated, it's just a mere addition.
2009-01-08, 08:26
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
You can try pro-x, it has hitsounds
2009-01-10, 16:30
121 posts

May 2006
i do use hitsounds @ Urban Terror (q3 mod that blends CS / Quake or so..) it becomes really useful when playing on a huge map with a non-scope weapon : P
. - - -- Words are stones in my Mouth.. -- - - . [url=http://profile.xfire.com/katataniel][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/katataniel
2009-01-20, 10:12
232 posts

Feb 2006
Balanced weapons is retarded for anything except for games aimed at FPS newbies anyway (I CBF explaining why). 3-tier system is the way to go for competitive play.
vb.drok-radnik.com
2009-01-20, 20:30
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
lol vb
2009-01-20, 21:37
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Been playing some q3 and i find the hitsounds reassuring only, like "ahh my efficiency is increasing". It does not help me aim, at all.
2009-01-21, 14:30
251 posts

Jul 2007
empezar wrote:
Been playing some q3 and i find the hitsounds reassuring only, like "ahh my efficiency is increasing". It does not help me aim, at all.

Exactly.
2009-01-23, 04:45
357 posts

Mar 2006
Just modify the player pain sounds??
  24 posts on 1 page  1