User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-12-23, 08:04
7 posts

Dec 2008
Hi. Is cl_c2spps supposed to be a 0 or 1 - on/off type of command? No matter if i set it to 1 20 50 or 100+, it gives me the same results, about 50ms higher ping and some help with pl. In ftequake I can set it to lets say 40 and get a good mix of lower pl and little rise in ping. I've tried old and newest versions of ezq, and some nightly builds, and get the same result.

As for the PL i get, it seems to be caused by the wireless connection (evdo) I have. It usually sits around 50%. From what i've read, its because the connection doesn't like the high rate of packets that quake sends/receives per second. For some strange reason though, theres a few servers that will give me 0 pl every so often. There seems to be no pattern to it, just suddenly i'll have 0 pl to just that server, and the normal 50% on others. Something even stranger happend today. The same server, different ports, the one with ktx mod I had 50%, the other server was running CA, and I had 0 pl. Same ip addy for both. Any ideas on what would cause things like that to happen? Any easy fixes? Thanks
2008-12-23, 10:49
364 posts

Oct 2006
Meaningful values for cl_c2spps are between 77/3 ~= 25 and 77 (assuming the server has 77 fps limit, like most DM servers these days). Any non-zero value below 25 is equivalent to 25; 77 or higher is equivalent to not using cl_c2spps at all. This functionality is supposed to be the same in ezQuake as in FuhQuake, unless someone broke it.

QW clients sends each movement message three times, so you can drop up to 2/3 of the packets and still have a playable connection. Indeed it may help stability on some connections, but since you are sacrificing some of the redundancy, it's natural to have some increase in PL.
2008-12-23, 11:02
7 posts

Dec 2008
Thanks for the reply. I went and loaded fuhquake and was able to get about the same results as in ftequake. Adjusting between 25 and 77 gave different results..around 40 was the best for me, cutting my pl down to 15-20 and a decent ping. So I guess maybe there is something changed or wrong in ezquake.
2008-12-23, 11:58
271 posts

Feb 2006
what cl_c2spps does is it imposes artificial packetloss on the client, reducing its packet rate.
It drops client->server packets locally.
This naturally reduces the server->client packet rate too, as the server only responds to packets.

But if its really your wireless that is the cause of packetloss, you would get better performance by putting your packet rates as high as possible, reducing the potential size of packets (lots of explosions in a single packet = bad), and reducing the delay if you do actually loose one.
Basically, c2spps is for saturated connections, not lossy connections. If you use this on a connection that's randomly dropping packets, especially if based on size, then you want many packets and small packets, rather than few and big. The quakeworld protocol repeats anything not yet acknoledged every single frame. Thus you want to boost your packet rates as high as your connection allows.
c2spps vs packetloss... packetloss is increased by using c2spps, but this packetloss was intentional loss, and will not be shown on the scoreboard.
Prediction errors occur if you loose 3 consecutive client->server packets.
Entity loss/flickering occurs after 64 lost client->server->client packets.
Other players misspredict after 1/4th of a second of lost server->client packets, or at the same time as entity loss.
If you still feel c2spps really helps, try reducing your rate, instead.
On the other hand.. your outgoing packet rate being so high might be the cause for the corrupted server->client packets. That would be annoying, but not entirely surprising.
Try using qizmo - it can double up the server->client packets, which would reduce your effective packetloss.

50% packetloss on one server vs 0 on another can be due to the server flooding you with large packets. On wireless, large packets have a greater chance to be corrupted thus lost. cl_shownet 1 will show incoming packet sizes. KTX/KTPRO (any mod with map voting, etc) will both flood the client with a lot of reliable data shortly after connecting, but it should drop to normal pl levels after.
moo
2008-12-23, 13:20
108 posts

Jun 2006
Thougth cl_c2spps was disabled with independent physics.
From changelog Build 1144, 2005-04-21 [1.4]
"Disabled cl_c2spps with independent physics
This was causing jerky movement of the player on the server. (1106332, jogihoogi)"

on that note i think its weird that the defult cl_c2sImpulseBackup value is 3 since it works with cl_c2spps that is disabled.
"cl_c2sImpulseBackup
Used with cl_c2spps, it controls how many backup copies of packets with non-zero
impulses are to be sent to the server. The recommended value is 3,
but you can try 2 or even 1 to reduce traffic if you don't have any packet loss."

if u have 0 packetloss i feel cl_c2sImpulseBackup 0 feels better, its easyer to do hard rjumps etc, but its weird, i seem to take more dammage with 0 than 3, i can play povdmm4s and oppnent get less lg% on me if i set it back to 3, the few time i tested this. ppry just a coincident
2008-12-23, 13:28
7 posts

Dec 2008
Tried lowering rate, no change. Tried using the qizmo commands to double up packets and such, no change. The packet loss stays constant, no matter how long i'm connected. Most servers I connect to, which are ktx/ktpro, I get the 40-55% PL. The only thing that does anything to the PL number is setting the cl_c2spps command in fuhquake or ftequake. I can get the PL displayed down to 5-10 sometimes doing that. I don't get why some servers are fine at random times though. It seems something happens, and it would be nice to know what it is, and how to reproduce it for all servers.

Using the cl_shownet command, I see large numbers at the beginning, and it levels out to 25 when i'm standing still, and 40-65 average when i'm moving around or shooting. Not sure what that means, if anything.

I don't have any packet loss outside of quake. I've done line tests and trace routes and everything is 0%. So it has to be something specific to qw and this wireless connection.
2008-12-23, 13:35
7 posts

Dec 2008
Huh, ok.. it seems it is disabled, kind of. It has the effect I mention above when independent physics is on, and when off, it works like in fuh and fte. So I guess the 'bug' is that it isn't truly disabled when it should be, or whatever.
2008-12-23, 13:55
7 posts

Dec 2008
One thing I notice with that cl_shownet command is that on the server that I get no pl on, the numbers scroll by alot faster than the servers I get the %50 pl. Does that mean anything?
2008-12-23, 14:15
364 posts

Oct 2006
Yes, it means that if you lose half your packets, you receive two times fewer of them.
2008-12-23, 17:17
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Im no quake expert, but here's my reply.
i also have problems with my isp. i use wireless to play, but the pl i get isnt because of the wireless, is because of the overload the connection has (too many ppl connected to internet in my neighborhood). PL uses to be 15-30 at 18-23h everyday.

Are u sure the pl u get is because of the wireless? can u connect to the server with a cabled pc to check the ping/pl?
Because, if it isnt because of the wireless, if it is your isp (like me), there's very little you can do. no command will save you. i tried qizmo also, doesnt help (although it helped me in the past, from 7pl to 0/1)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-12-27, 23:20
7 posts

Dec 2008
The internet connect itself is wireless, evdo, so there is no way to bypass that. I get no pl outside of quakeworld to anywhere, so it has something to do with the game and the connection specifically.

I've discovered a way to eliminate the pl to a few servers, though it's kind of strange.

If a server has a qizmo, and I connect through that and then to the game port on the same ip, i get no pl. I can't use that qizmo to connect to another IP though or I get the PL again. This works on 3 or 4 servers, but not on all. There are two servers that when I connect to the qizmo, and check r_netstats, I see a 50% rate cut instead of 50% PL. I can make this go away by raising my rate to 30,000, from 10,000, but i get the normal pl when i connect to the game port anyway.

I've tried all the various packet compression options in qizmo, and none of them do anything. For some reason just using a qizmo as a reroute can make the PL go away.
  11 posts on 1 page  1