User panel stuff on forum
  39 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Off Topic
2008-12-10, 22:29
1101 posts

Jan 2006
In my memory goqsane was a much better troll. Must have been some kind of wishful fogging.
2008-12-10, 23:06
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Yeah - as they say, linux is only free if your time is worthless
2008-12-10, 23:16
357 posts

Nov 2008
Zalon wrote:
Yeah - as they say, linux is only free if your time is worthless

thats right
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2008-12-11, 02:37
1754 posts

Jan 2006
biomass thanks, good answers. The thing is, I got help with the resolution-problem, but I then was stuck on one, 1280x1024 at 85, anything other(if I now wanted to change it) was impossible. And Spirit, if I wanted to test my way on xorg.conf that I did once, I would shoot myself in the foot first! Searching forums and help on irc etc. is not really the way to go if the OS is sposed to be easy to use
And the sound-issue, yes flipping around with what you mentioned biomass, ALSA and OSS, was not an easy task either even though I managed to fix it
But then again, games I want to play don't all work in linux(oh yes that problem). Makes me stick to windows once more
2008-12-11, 04:23
2 posts

Dec 2008
Linux has evolve over the years. Right now I'm using Linux Mint, because of my laziness. I got closed codecs for all media and proprietary driver for graphic card out of box. I'll probably switch back to Slackware if I find time - after awhile you forgot that it's OS. It's only (my humble opinion) Linux distro that runs in background and don't take much attention. Nevertheless Slack got very afwul packages manager - I've used pkgsrc from NetBSD instead.

I still use Windows for one good reson reason - Adobe products. Especially there isn't any supplement in Linux for Photoshop. Please don't tell me about GIMP, just try to work it in.
2008-12-11, 14:35
357 posts

Nov 2008
lol i use gimp in windows, whats the problem with gimp?
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2008-12-11, 15:37
705 posts

Feb 2006
the problem is that blinkin is not used to it
2008-12-11, 18:14
2 posts

Dec 2008
time! wrote:
lol i use gimp in windows, whats the problem with gimp?

Poster A2 200 dpi duo color with more than 50 layers, enough.

For small web content you could use even MS Paint, but what's the point?

I use Inkspace for vectors, GIMP quality (rasters) is nowhere to that.

btw. I'm drunk and trolling is possible.
2008-12-11, 20:53
303 posts

Jun 2007
I use GIMP too, but i think it's no way as powerful as Photoshop. Sure, it have some nice features, and i like interface. The biggest problem with GIMP is lack of CMYK support (that was last time i checked, anyway), and that means it's useless for printing (conversion from RGB to CMYK is still too imperfect). Plus, windows version is a bit unstable (at least on my machine, it freezes from time to time). That's a shame, because smaller companies could use GIMp as main 2D graphic editor (and save $$$) instead of cheap (compared to legal Photoshop) but inferior in many ways software.

on main topic:

Linux evolved, i agree. Well it evolve from the point "omg how i'm supposed to use it?" to "omg, another problem...". I've tried linux 6 years ago. It was horrible, compared to my nevest experience with it. So, maybe someday, it'll finally be user friendly os for everyone.

And yeah, major manufacturers don't sell computers without os. At least desktop computers. In case of notebooks, there is usually a choice.
But what is the point of buying PC with brand? You pay more, get less, because it have logo... It's better to build pc from scratch, so you can get configuration that would be best for you.
  39 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page