User panel stuff on forum
  42 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2008-11-14, 19:10
174 posts

Nov 2006
It's friday and I am bored at the moment, so I started thinking about what about a league for div1-2, one BIG div. Tb3 only which would kind of work like an invitational event. Playerslimits/team wouldn't exist since there wouldn't be any needed since we would like to gather the top players into the top clans. Also of course minus points if games not played and "hitler schedule" so actually something would happend! Ideas?
2008-11-14, 19:13
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Itsinen wrote:
It's friday and I am bored at the moment, so I started thinking about what about a smackdown style tournament for div1-2, one BIG fucking furious action packed tournament. Tb3 only which would kind of work like an invitational event. Playerslimits/team wouldn't exist since there wouldn't be any needed since we would like to gather the top players into the top clans. Also of course minus points if games not played and "hitler schedule" so actually something would happend! Ideas?

Fixed it for you.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-11-15, 17:07
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Do you mean to make mixteams from the clans in div1 and top div2?

Or to make like an EQL for only topteams?

Maybe I'm just a bit unfocused atm
2008-11-15, 17:12
156 posts

Mar 2006
I don't think he means mixteams, at least I hope he doesn't. Just look at the mixed 2on2 league that's going on at the moment. High inactivity even though luckyshot is running after players like crazy and trying super hard to get everything organised. Would never work with proper teams.
2008-11-15, 17:21
569 posts

Feb 2006
i dont see the reason to do another league?

there is div1 and div2 eql.

If u want larger divisions, just merge div1 and div2.

Perhaps what itsinen is trying to achive is that players like icecubez plays in div1 instead of div3.
2008-11-15, 18:52
77 posts

Feb 2008
Why can't you just make a 4on4 ladder over a weekend? Like saturday 00:01CET to sunday 23:59CET? It would be awesome. And put all games up on Goldrush.
If someone would like to organize some kind of that I can be your little helper!
But I don't wanna be admin for a long inactive legue.
2008-11-15, 19:59
569 posts

Feb 2006
well the nqr ladder seem to be up still.

http://ladder.nqr.nu/ why not use it as prac database?
2008-11-15, 20:43
174 posts

Nov 2006
Well the point is more of making some "valuable" short league for div1/2 (eql standards) where teams would be like normal, not mixed ones. And get all those top teams to play each other. This would be a tourney that would be as motivation for div3-6s to get better and for the div1-2 teams "the biggest win". So that would ofc also gather those div1-2 players from the clans that aren't in div1-2 into the topteams since atleast I would guess they would like to succeed in a league like this, not trying to get them to leave their current teams but I guess they could probably be borrowed from there. For those who are inactive/semi inactive I would also guess this could be some kind of motivation to get back in shape.
2008-11-16, 19:16
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
Sounds very fun, however for it to be worth winning and watching I think it would need to have a lot of coverage both in analyses before games, commentators during games and write ups after the games. Ofc a hitler schedule would be needed. If you decide to make something with it I'll help
2008-11-25, 17:24
174 posts

Nov 2006
If somebody knows people who could possibly fix stream to internet, small simple webpage, etc. Contacting me would be nice. This doesn't mean that the league will happend, but I atleast want to explore if it's possible to arrange one. Sponsors/prizemoney/other stuff wouldn't hurt either ofc, this all should be set and ready before the season so people would know what they are playing for. Or maybe 100€/team that signs up, would be like maximum of 10€/person which shouldn't be that much (might affect div2 clans signing up?).
2008-11-26, 06:39
462 posts

Jan 2006
I don't really see why any more top teams would play in this if they don't play in EQL? Also it's not that interesting to play teams who just play a couple of games but never prac and are completely out of shape and not at all interested in winning. And if this would just have the exact same teams as EQL then I don't see the point for yet another 4on4 legue. EQL and NQR are plenty for such a handful of teams...
2008-11-27, 19:12
174 posts

Nov 2006
The idea with the whole thing is to get activated those who actually WANTS to be better and are ready to be even raped if needed (they have to motivation to try atleast). So if clans are otherwise inactive and only wants to play officials... that's ok, we can't help with that kind of, but if they want to become competetive in the tourney they've gotta start praccing. So this should create motivation for some atleast, not all but some... And if the whole event would be more like professional style with 1 week before scheduled games that are "you play or you're out" (including hitlerschedule-attitude) then people actually would might even give some value to the games. So far I've actually got some clues about that it is possible to stream games onto internet without much fixing at all. This as a whole would have to be something that is different, that's why I posted it here. So try to get together something that actually might help instead of bringing the "bad things" up here, since I probably know most of them by now
2008-11-27, 20:16
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
When would such a tournament take place? What i'm really wondering is if it would be yet another tournament started off just to see how many signups there will be, ending up as a semi-pancake, or if there would be time to really put some serious effort into the whole thing and do some real improvement in certain areas (hunting sponsors for example).
2008-11-27, 22:44
174 posts

Nov 2006
Well the idea for first time to be available would be something like maybe late winter, after february I guess as some kind of scale on when it probably could be started at the earliest, but this is only theory, don't know if it would be capable of starting even then. This would be something that would have to be TOTALLY clear like 1-2 months before the event would start in that case. So clans without enough players would have time to prac and get players and maybe even get put and running some new clans.

Also been thinking about if it should have client restrictions, like one client only allowed. Maybe even a "ezq-pro"-client? Would have unchangable smackdown and norj, noscripts etc so all would play with the same client etc. Could make the league more professional too I guess, might feel annoying the first time but don't think there would be too much whine

There would also of course be "invitations", not so much signup stuff. Clans which would be "built" for this tourney would ofc most likely also be included. So we are kind of talking like maybe 10-16 clans max, depends mostly on the activity of the scene.
2008-12-04, 15:17
174 posts

Nov 2006
Shortly briefing of what can be done atm, what is ready to go if we want to:
-Invitations (as example 12 teams max)
-Rules
-Internet Stream
-Hitler schedule
-Have a couple of guys ready to admin that are actually active
-Mode of event

Shouldn't be such a big problem to solve:
-Somebody to be in charge of coverage only (once a week a 1 a4 sized raport on what has happened) and preseason coverage
-Web page including inbuilt hitlerschedules etc
-League name

Might need some more work:
-"Ezquake PRO client"?
-Admins that are active
-Schedules for the tourney, including starting date etc
.Sponsors
-Money?
-Commentators that does a nice work and have time

This is just a start, will keep on editing it...
2008-12-05, 08:01
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
pro client?
2008-12-05, 16:24
174 posts

Nov 2006
Pro client = Something that doesn't have the possibility to adjust if using scripts, rulesets etc. All would be built-in so the values could not be changed. So you just allow one client to the tourney so you don't have to check anything else than that the player is using the right client.
2008-12-05, 18:40
462 posts

Jan 2006
1tsinen wrote:
Pro client = Something that doesn't have the possibility to adjust if using scripts, rulesets etc. All would be built-in so the values could not be changed. So you just allow one client to the tourney so you don't have to check anything else than that the player is using the right client.

Who is going to change their client just for a league? Not me.
2008-12-05, 19:09
174 posts

Nov 2006
Not surprised by that you wount

... And some div1s wonder why it's so inactive on the scene.. hmm, let's wonder why
2008-12-05, 19:14
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
blAze wrote:
1tsinen wrote:

Who is going to change their client just for a league? Not me.

I'd say that depends.

However, i don't think that the issue about players getting away with using settings that are banned (which i assume this is what it would be for) is regarded as severe enough to be worth it.

In my opinion that energy would be better spent on other stuff when organizing a tournament.
2008-12-05, 19:38
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I don't see the use, really.
2008-12-05, 19:42
174 posts

Nov 2006
Well there are quite a lot of players who play without rulesets etc, imo it's an important thing that most would be on the same line when they play. Still more professional. Since nobody ever checks those versions and rulesets -> why do they exist? (and maybe 50% uses them in div1-2).
Not trying to make a big drama out of it but if you are going to lift the standard on some tourney there needs to be changes about it too.. otherwise it's just like it has been.
And then we can continue with 50% of rulesets like they should be etc and just add another small tourney with nothing special, just another season.
2008-12-05, 21:02
569 posts

Feb 2006
i dont see the there is any room for both eql or nqr and this league. Most teams have trouble to complete all their games in the eql/qwdl. I'd say work within eql/nqr.
2008-12-06, 00:57
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
There is definatly place for this, however I doubt it would work as a league, but as a dubble elimination invite only tournament I think it would work really well.
Would be nice if quakeworld could get something like that, more of a "best 4on4 team this year tourney".

BTW why the negativity? You guys want quakeworld to die by removing reasons for people to be active? Guys are quiting cause there are way to FEW offical games.
2008-12-06, 11:10
462 posts

Jan 2006
1tsinen wrote:
Well there are quite a lot of players who play without rulesets etc, imo it's an important thing that most would be on the same line when they play. Still more professional. Since nobody ever checks those versions and rulesets -> why do they exist? (and maybe 50% uses them in div1-2).
Not trying to make a big drama out of it but if you are going to lift the standard on some tourney there needs to be changes about it too.. otherwise it's just like it has been.
And then we can continue with 50% of rulesets like they should be etc and just add another small tourney with nothing special, just another season.

Perhaps league admins should take the hint and stop imposing rulesets and restrictions on players that players don't want to use? If only the really cheaty stuff was banned I could support this, but not now when so many nice and useful features are banned with no logic or reason...
2008-12-06, 11:24
462 posts

Jan 2006
I don't think I'm being negative but realistic. If this league happens I will probably try to play in it. I'm just wondering that if e.g. KOFF manages to play one game in EQL where they have a lot of time to play just when they want to, why would they get any more played in this? If people were intersted in playing, they would play...

I guess I still don't quite get why this instead of another season of EQL. What are the differences? Tighter schedule (=less played games)? Invite only (are we telling no thx to some teams who are interested in playing in a quakeworld legue)? Why not just continue EQL and improve on the points you feel the need improvements.
2008-12-07, 22:44
174 posts

Nov 2006
Sometimes it requires starting from scratch instead of keeping with something. If you actually read all that has been said and think about it, you could answer 50% of your own questions and complaints about things not working
And the whole point is that this would be something that all players couldn't get into, that's why it would have a value. This would also active those players who aren't that skilled, they would start wanting to be better again. As it is now, nobody struggles for position in the middle on the tables (those who know they can't win). Which also makes it really inactive etc. If it has value the struggle for midspots in the top divs would also matter.

And also with that continue EQL, yes, it will happend, and it will probably improve. But the issue is that it would be 100x times easier to get it working somewhere else first before getting it into eql. If we are talking about hugh changes it is easier to make it work first for 12 clans instead of 50. Also when those 50 clans have followed the season of the 12 clans they know what it is about -> makes it easy to move to a bigger league.

All bans have a reason&logic, you actually know it too.. but the flaming continues . It's more a matter of wanting to understand afaik in this case. The rulesets aren't used because there are several of them to set a value in, the use of the commands has also been changed during the season. These are some reasons why there are some that doesn't use them, several who doesn't even know that they aren't using proper ones. Also seems like ruleset is automatically default if it's not changed, not the other way around. And how professional is it with people using 55 different versions and almost as many rulesets, why not -> one client, one version, one check (that it's the client it should be) -> all done (ez).

And the tighter schedule is more about games getting played, it doesn't have to be any more games/week or so. But just so they would get played. If you have options We or Su it's usually easy to say if you can play or not?
2008-12-08, 06:37
462 posts

Jan 2006
1tsinen wrote:
All bans have a reason&logic, you actually know it too.. but the flaming continues .

No they don't. Flaming?

Quote:
And how professional is it with people using 55 different versions and almost as many rulesets, why not -> one client, one version, one check (that it's the client it should be) -> all done (ez).

Just allow ruleset default and everyone has same options, no checks needed. Why not you ask? There's often a reason why people use different versions of the client, like that a version x simply doesn't work properly for them.

Quote:
And the tighter schedule is more about games getting played, it doesn't have to be any more games/week or so. But just so they would get played. If you have options We or Su it's usually easy to say if you can play or not?

Yes and the answer will be more often "no" than when you have more options for the time.
2008-12-08, 09:28
174 posts

Nov 2006
When are you going to read the whole line instead of jamming on just one point of it?

Default for everybody -> go ahead, in some league where nobody cares. (afaik there has always been enough whine about things to happend/rules made, not about the use of them)

Usually with version x not working -> lazyness in most cases.

"Yes and the answer will be more often "no" than when you have more options for the time."
If there is a possibility to play with lineup-b then it's wo for the other team if they don't play, maybe even minus points, should work as some kind of motivation (one of the biggest problems atm). Time etc mentioned in the beginning as something so clans could fix up players wasn't a joke, so still 50% of questions could be answered by reading earlier messages
So if the clans understand that they actually need to have 4 players on either We or Su, I assume they will recruit people if they just have the time to do it. Understanding that they'll need the players is a bigger issue in this case, some clans just haven't read any new infos/rules the last 3-4 years and are surprised about cmt-maps in eql as an example... gg
2008-12-08, 11:49
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
1tsinen wrote:
Usually with version x not working -> lazyness in most cases.

Would say you're wrong in this case.

From my own experience and teammates there has been a lot of problems not about lazyness.

* Lags
* Fpsdrops
* Hud fucking up
* from 1.8.x -> 1.9: DirectInput got fucked up somehow so there was a difference in feeling, forcing me to switch to in_mouse 3 instead and get used to that.

The list could go on
  42 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page