User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-11-13, 05:38
100 posts

Apr 2008
i just installed linux and have absolutely NO idea what i am doing.. i copied my id1 and qw directories across from a portable hd.. installed ezquake linux and when trying to double click on the ezquake-gl file i get the error:

Could not display ḧome\user\quake\ezquake-gl.glx
There is no application installed for this file type

as i said ive no idea what im doing. any type of assistance would be appreciated as i want to try and test ezquake with linux as i have an ongoing issue with input responsiveness/slowdown with windows.. please detailed instructions as i have no idea how to do anything in linux. cheers
2008-11-13, 08:06
125 posts

Jan 2008
hmm that message seems kinda suspect since linux uses / and not \
Anyhow
1. Open a terminal window
2. "cd /home/user/quake/"
3. "./ezquake-gl.glx" <- (thats dot-slash)
2008-11-13, 08:37
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Right-click the ezquake-gl.glx and somehow find the checkbox that says "allow to run as program". It MIGHT help if you said what distribution/desktop environment you are using, no Linux is the same.

And make sure all files are lowercase.
2008-11-13, 09:40
705 posts

Feb 2006
If you are using ubuntu it's most likely cd /home/user/Desktop/ezquake/ (replaces user with the username you choose) if you downloaded it via firefox that's the default location it puts downloaded files
2008-11-14, 00:09
45 posts

Aug 2007
krohm wrote:
Could not display ḧome\user\quake\ezquake-gl.glx
There is no application installed for this file type

Very obvious that this is a file permissions or associations problem.

Apparently you use some file manager (like krusader etc.) and click the file ezquake-gl.glx, the file manager wants to play some media file or open some word processing document or something like this.

ezquake-gl.glx is not recognized as an excecutable, as a program that can be run.

Open a terminal program, for instance by trying to find some entry in some desktop menu (I do not know what desktop you use), something like "run program", enter "xterm", if this does not work, enter "konsole", "gnome-terminal" or try to find a terminal program directly in the menus of your desktop.

After launching the terminal program, go to the ezquake directory (in Windows "directory" is "folder":
cd /..../.../.../ezquake-directory
(of course, you need to know or find out the correct path)

then do a:
ls -al ezquake-gl.glx

You will see the permissions of this program:
something like:
-rwxr-xr-x

If there is no "x" in the permissions, ezquake-gl.glx is not able to run as a program.

You need to change the permissions, for instance like this:
chmod 755 ezquake-gl.glx

This will give all users permissions to run the program (but nobody except "root" could change or remove the program).
EDIT: Or if it is in your own "home" directory, then root AND you yourself can change/delete the program.

If you already have a windows installation on the same computer (yes?), you wouldn't even need to install everything quake related in Linux another time; you could just symlink some of the subdirectories, but I suppose, I shouldn't have written this because if you happen to know nothing about it it only serves to confuse you. ;-)

well, enough for now,
sempron
2009-03-18, 19:25
253 posts

Nov 2007
I also installed an ubuntu linux. finally i succesfully enforce qw to run, but my mouse not works well. just mouse 1-3 buttons works. and when i put two buttons at the same time then none of them works.
in_mouse 3
at first for in_evdevlist it gave me nothing then i went to dev/input manually and saw a directory called "by-id" (there is another one, called "by-path" but i didnt disturb it ) which containes the following files: usb-razer_razer_1600dpi_mouse-event-mous and usb-razer_razer_1600dpi_mouse-mouse. i gave rights to myself and put into config one of these names for in_evdevice. then in qw if i press m1 and m2 then is do the command what it should has to do when i press m3 m4 and 5 still not works...
(there's a test in linux for double clicking.. there both of m4 and m5 works well... weird)

oh... and sound also laggy....

pls heeeeelp!
cheat 2 win!
2009-03-18, 19:59
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Laggy sound, what card do you have? If it's onboard, the easiest way might be getting a cheap soundcard (with good ALSA or whatever you use compatibility).

I am using a MX500 with in_mouse 1 and in_evdevice is "+connect" (don't ask me).
My xorg.conf says:
Quote:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "Resolution" "800"
Option "Buttons" "10"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
EndSection

Works fine (I have weapons on the side buttons too) and I can press multiple buttons.

New Ubuntu seems to have truly weird automatic easy and don't-touch-it configuration though, so I have no idea if you even apply half of this to it.
2009-03-18, 21:33
253 posts

Nov 2007
I've got a sound blaster audigy SE

mouse: i found this: http://www.kw-studios.com/dkblog/?p=9
sounds good, but my xorg.conf does not containes anything about "inputdevice"
when i just copy pasted it under a Section "InputDevice" and restarted.. than it just disappeared after the reboot so it didnt have any result (

geez.. i have 24 more hours until the deadline of my first qwdl match
cheat 2 win!
2009-03-19, 08:50
705 posts

Feb 2006
http://bu3sch.de/deathadder.php
  9 posts on 1 page  1