User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-05-17, 02:59
10 posts

May 2008
Hi guys. After I installed ezQuake and started playing around with my config, I noticed something really freaking weird. Every time I use the GUI function to save config.cfg, it seems to save ok (my settings are remembered correctly after I restart), but when I go to the desktop and head on over to the nQuake/ezQuake/configs directory, all it shows is the original installed config.cfg (minus my changes). Why hadn't the cfg on the desktop updated, but in ezQuake everything seemed fine?

I tried a few experiments. I removed the config.cfg and put it on the deskop. ezQuake loaded with all my settings still intact (that shouldn't have happened, it should have made a new config.cfg and put all the defaults in there.) I tried switching the cfg_home to the other option. Ok good, a new config.cfg was created. I switched the cfg_home back. Now none of the directories under ezQuake have any config.cfg. ezQuake still starts up ok, as if I haven't done anything. I used the GUI command to save an autoexec.cfg in the ezQuake/configs folder. On the desktop, the autoexec file didn't show up at all. If I search my computer for autoexec.cfg, it doesn't exist.

WTF is going on? Is Vista completely screwed up or what? ezQuake happily says I have a bunch of things in my "ezQuake/configs" folder (now autoexec.cfg, blah.cfg, 1.cfg, etc.) but I still see no traces of any of these files on the desktop in the same folder. And no, I'm not hiding invisible files or any such crap. They just aren't there. Yet ezQuake thinks they are? (?!??!?!)

The good news is that ezQuake still works great with my, ehem, INVISIBLE config.cfg file. The bad news is until I figure out what is going on, I can't manually edit any configs, because ezQuake completely ignores what I see on the desktop. It's possessed or something?!

Help me out here, this is maddening!
2008-05-17, 03:06
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
the files are there

with ezquake you really dont need to edit anything manually :>

i'll let someone else with more free time to actually answer ur question
2008-05-17, 04:58
227 posts

Mar 2007
\My Documents\ezquake\config.cfg

What do you mean by "Desktop"?
2008-05-17, 09:22
1435 posts

Jan 2006
LOL
In the Options menu on the Config tab if you enable advanced settings you will see "Save to profile dir" option (cfg_use_home, default off). Maybe you've turned it on and now it gets save where 5h17h34d (nice nick btw) mentioned.
2008-05-17, 12:26
10 posts

May 2008
cfg_use_home is off, so config.cfg SHOULD be in the nQuake/ezQuake/configs folder. But if I exit out of the program and look in that folder, nothing is in there. So where are the files ezQuake is using?

To break it down:

1) In the ezQuake GUI, if I choose "import config", the folder structure says "nQuake/ezQuake/configs" and shows 4 files: config.cfg, autoexec.cfg, 1.cfg, and blah.cfg

2) On my Windows Vista desktop, if I look in the folder "nQuake/ezQuake/configs", I see nothing. No config files are stored in there. If I do a computer search for "autoexec.cfg", etc., it turns up no results. Either Vista is hiding them, or my ezQuake is seriously screwed up, or something else (?)
2008-05-17, 13:35
518 posts

Jan 2006
wasn't there some bug with ezquake running it from teh desktop?
2008-05-17, 17:21
227 posts

Mar 2007
JohnNy_cz wrote:
...[snip] gets save where 5h17h34d (nice nick btw) mentioned.

I still get kicked off TF2 servers for using it. Kills me how guys who run HL servers are such control freaks.
2008-06-01, 17:51
10 posts

May 2008
I found it. For Vista people, the user-specific qw files (for example your config.cfg and auto-saved screenshots) are in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\nQuake

For example the config.cfg is in a folder \ezQuake\configs under this folder. (Ignore the one in the qw directory, that's the legacy qw config)

This info really should be in the FAQ right up front, for people interested in manually tweaking their configs.
2008-07-17, 17:45
75 posts

May 2006
enjourni7 wrote:
I found it. For Vista people, the user-specific qw files (for example your config.cfg and auto-saved screenshots) are in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\nQuake

For example the config.cfg is in a folder \ezQuake\configs under this folder. (Ignore the one in the qw directory, that's the legacy qw config)

This info really should be in the FAQ right up front, for people interested in manually tweaking their configs.

This is because nQuake installs into your "Program files" dir by default. Obviously you're using Vista, and Vista doesn't allow programs to write to some dirs such as the "Program files" dir, instead it creates a "virtual store" for each user in their profile dir.
This is so that if a program saves its settings in a place where everyone using the computer would be affected, those settings are instead saved under a user specific dir, and the changes aren't fucked up for other people.

Solution: Don't install nQuake to C:\Program files\ if running Vista
2008-07-18, 08:14
173 posts

Jun 2008
FYI: Some of my maps also ended up in the dir mentioned above - worked fine but couldn't play against bots (moving the maps to the proper place fixed it).

(Not sure but this is prolly one of those things that could be fixed by running ezq as admin ;-))
2008-07-18, 11:12
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I'm adding an entry about this in the nQuake readme.txt file. If you have Vista, install nQuake in a folder where you have writing permissions.
  11 posts on 1 page  1