User panel stuff on forum
  13 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-05-10, 08:56
100 posts

Apr 2008
ok, without going into details the years of complaining that certain players were moving faster then me in the servers (i took a couple of years off) i swore it was setting related. no no no everyone proclaimed. its all server set! cl_physfps 0 wasnt using, had in_mouse 2 with m_rate at 125.. all these things and more screwed me against the top few players. well upgraded finally to 2.8.3 ezquake and got the physfps set and just in the last few weeks was advised on in_mouse 1. shit. faster. awesome. ok finally can run around and move at same speed as top couple of players. some greater competitiveness.

ok so after setting this up, new ezquake 2.9 comes out. direct input with in_mouse 3. all my problems solved. or not!?

im using in_mouse 3. every setting i alter changes the feel of quake, labors the mouse movement in often uncertain ways. you cant flick around and throw a grenade where previously you could.. whatever. each setting alters the feeling of the mouse or movement in game.

these are the settings i have that when i change.. it changes the feeling for me. now the question is. why cant the ezquake team just spell out exactly what needs to be set. if not set it all by default. in the next version perhaps. like all these settings alter massively the feel of movement in the game, and how the mouse operates. this is what im running.

these seem to be the relevant settings that alter feel.. maybe im missing some out here...

in_mouse 3
in_m_smooth 0
m_rate 1000

cl_independentphysics 1
cl_nopred 0
cl_nolerp 0
cl_physfps 77
cl_maxfps 385

sys_highpriority 1
sys_yieldcpu 0

vid_vsync 0

now if i change m_rate, in_m_smooth, sys_highpriority or even vid_vsync everything gives different variations of smoothness of both movement and the mouse in game. none of this is known to the average player. why aren't all of these settings defaulted to what operates the best and the only variable is cl_maxfps. this would create a level playing field for all those playing. the whole thing is getting so complex. you have to read manuals, understand a plethora of settings, and test all the different variables before you get a smooth setup. and even then it might not be the best that you can get! this really should be the number 1 goal of any new game client. even now with the above settings im unsure of whether or not this is ideal. i ask and ask people on servers and on this forum and everyone seems to suggest different things. if not try yourself all different things. can some clarity be given on all these variables and maybe some suggestions on what people should be running, setting wise, with this new ezquake. more and more older players, and new, are returning to qw only to be lost in the rigmarole of qw setup. shouldnt it be just install ezquake 2.9 setup wasd and ur weapons in the console and start playing! any further adjustment within the config should be done on graphics setup, weapon aliases and teamplay setup. alrite enough already. hope i get some feedback/replies..

krohm
2008-05-10, 10:05
401 posts

Mar 2006
Its all just placebo. None of those things make you actually go faster/slower.

Lets look at these settings.

I could change some or all of these settings(except vsync of course ):

in_mouse 3
in_m_smooth 0
m_rate 1000

cl_independentphysics 1
cl_nopred 0
cl_nolerp 0
cl_physfps 77
cl_maxfps 385

sys_highpriority 1
sys_yieldcpu 0

vid_vsync 0

and I would still play exactly the same as before.

If you don't believe me we can test it on 210.50.4.11:27503 on dm4. Its our fave map
2008-05-10, 10:07
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Give me 1000 of completely different PC configurations, pay me $200 per hour and I swear I will come up with info what works best for the majority Man, you are using PC, not playstation.

krohm wrote:
in_mouse 2 with m_rate at 125.. all these things and more screwed me against the top few players

Sorry but that is your fault, default is in_mouse 1, if you switch to in_mouse 2, you should know why you are doing that. If you decide to turn on mouse smoothing, you should know that there is a rate at which it operates, it is all in the manual. If you don't want to bother reading the manual, don't change the default.

krohm wrote:
each setting alters the feeling of the mouse or movement in game.

Hell yeah. If it wasn't that way, what would be the point of having those settings?

krohm wrote:
why aren't all of these settings defaulted to what operates the best

You've just made this sentence up, haven't you? Have you even checked what are the default settings? Which default value should be changed in your opinion? All the values you've named already are the defaults.

krohm wrote:
more and more older players, and new, are returning to qw only to be lost in the rigmarole of qw setup

They should use the defaults of course! Don't put your X years old config into the new client. If you do, don't complain it doesn't work.

Use the defaults. If you think some default value should be changed, name it and say why.
I don't want to sound offensive here but what was the point of your post man? I really don't get it.
2008-05-10, 10:10
401 posts

Mar 2006
You are playing the game on a PC not playstation. That's basically what it comes down to.
2008-05-10, 12:18
100 posts

Apr 2008
it seems you havent really understood what im saying. when i change the above mentioned values, it gets smoother and/or different combinations of lagged or labored movement and mouse movement.

ive read the manual. hence knowing these commands i otherwise didnt know. i had never used half of them before. now that i am changing them all, all the changes im making are making the mouse and movement feel different. thats it.
2008-05-10, 12:30
518 posts

Jan 2006
It feels different for every user depending on mouse/os/hardware etc, so there is no best default value. Thats whats so great about qw, you can make it feel great for everyone if you put enough time in making a nice config.
2008-05-10, 14:00
100 posts

Apr 2008
but what does hardware determine other then your frames. the mouse should all be on in_mouse 3 for direct input. anything else, other then maybe configuring extra buttons for different mice, should be standard.
2008-05-10, 14:01
227 posts

Mar 2007
I found that if I scratch my calf and stand on my head and wiggle my ears right before I play it runs smoother.
2008-05-10, 14:19
401 posts

Mar 2006
krohm wrote:
but what does hardware determine other then your frames. the mouse should all be on in_mouse 3 for direct input. anything else, other then maybe configuring extra buttons for different mice, should be standard.

I can't get side buttons to work with in_mouse 3 but 1 and 2 works. Maybe it works for you I dunno. You see you can't assume 3 is a perfect setting for everyone because we all have different mice and drivers.

Btw 3 is RAW input, and 2 is direct input.
2008-05-10, 18:01
252 posts

Dec 2006
ego/krohm your diatribe about how retarded/disadvantaged youve been is pretty weak, the only big difference youve encountered is fps independent physics.

out of those settings you list in_m_smooth, cl_independentphysics, cl_nopred, cl_nolerp, vid_vsync are default

m_rate and cl_physfps are inconsequential. m_rate only informs the mouse smoothing calculations of what your mouse rate is. and /cl_physfps "0" will use the maximum allowed physics fps.

Also generally sys_yieldcpu 1 and sys_highpriority 0 will give the best results unless your pc is malconfigured.

The ezquake developers ought to make it as complex as necessary and they do a good job of keeping to this ideal imo.
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2008-05-11, 09:07
100 posts

Apr 2008
Runamok.foe wrote:
ego/krohm your diatribe about how retarded/disadvantaged youve been is pretty weak, the only big difference youve encountered is fps independent physics.

out of those settings you list in_m_smooth, cl_independentphysics, cl_nopred, cl_nolerp, vid_vsync are default

m_rate and cl_physfps are inconsequential. m_rate only informs the mouse smoothing calculations of what your mouse rate is. and /cl_physfps "0" will use the maximum allowed physics fps.

Also generally sys_yieldcpu 1 and sys_highpriority 0 will give the best results unless your pc is malconfigured.

The ezquake developers ought to make it as complex as necessary and they do a good job of keeping to this ideal imo.

retarded? ive been retarded by noticing differences in config settings? i think ur interpretation of my post is retarded. typically adding an opinion that is both unwanted and unproductive. a trait ur yet to give up on foe. im either imagining things, or these settings changes do actually do something. or im retarded. fcking idiot foe. such a lost person you are

australians getting on this forum adding there two cent insults to me. how desperately tragic
2008-05-11, 09:40
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Retarded is another meaning for "delayed". Besides, his post was full of info that could help you determine your problem. You don't seem to be interested in any help, you don't seem to be able to reply to constructive criticism, closing this thread. Also, please pay attention to forum rule #1.
2008-05-11, 11:41
1329 posts

Apr 2006
<admin post>
Krohm it seems that you read between the lines and misinterprated things, there was no reason to go offensive so watch your tone next time.
</admin post>

<just a player talking here>
I'm sure there are differences and that you can actually feel them, it's not a new thing to qw-players. However what you seem to be saying is that the ability of ezQuake being finetuned in many ways is bad, which I totally disagree. Due to differences in hardware configurations, software settings and driver settings it's great that you can go finetuning your client for the best performance. Find the one setup that feels the best and leave it at that as it benefits NOT to go changing things all the time but getting used to one setup.

<from developer's point of view>
Ever since I started using ezQuake and being in a close contact with few of its developers (hello qqshka, cokeman) I haven't actually noticed too many things been changed. Sure, FPS-I physics change the overall feeling a bit (for the better) and the ability of customizing your client is amazing. However there hasn't been any strange things regarding the movement of speed (except one bug tVS Milton discovered and I verified it with him, it was in KTX mod and not in the ezQuake client) and to be honest, there shouldn't be any. Someone might insist that pushlatency/cl_nolerp can affect the movement. While this can be true, you can't actually change pushlatency anymore (yeah the cvar is there but it affects NOTHING, check the sourcecode if you don't believe me) so everyone is on the same "playing field" regarding that and we should leave it at that.

ezQuake version is 1.9, not 2.9.
Servers: Troopers
  13 posts on 1 page  1