User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-03-26, 12:09
1 post

Mar 2008
Hi All!

Im a newcomer to the forums but i ve been into quake since a very long time. I ve tried map building, and made some nice progress (even managed a nice spiral staircase tower shooter ) it was at that time when the thing happened to me that i think happens to everyone map-building: accidentaly put a spawn point into the void. i was very suprised when i started falling, and passing the outer side of my level several times, got back to the same position. i realized that the gameplay universe was modelled az a hypersphere. like the surface of a sphere, where u can start in whatever direction u get to the same place. only this time u can go up and down, left and right, back and forth. It was very nice i practised with it quite some time, it helped me when i was at university as i had no problem imagening a 3D closed "surface" in a 4D space. Whihc is very neat in case ur studying special relativity.

But now i ve got a very different problem i need to map into this space!

What i mean about this that i got these special mathematical quantities called "quaternions" which relate vectors rotations to each other. Now these stuff turn to be isomorphic with the hypersphere i was talking about. this means they can only be visualised in their natural enviroment. And thats exactly i need to do: somehow show these stuff to my PhD consulatant and evantually to greater audience.

My question is this : How do u think it is possible to mark a point in the Quake space, (ex. putting a small cube at each point(i ve got quite large (>5000)dataset )), and if i can limit the size of the rendered outer gamespace?
Sorry for posting a fairly off-topic question, but any answers would be very much appriciated. I choose quake becouse the engine's source is out, and its got the rendering ability and also its the first place i saw the whole thing working.

Also if u dont know the answer but u know someone who might, pls direct them to this topic.

Many Thx in advance, and keep fragging
2008-04-04, 02:15
60 posts

May 2006
umm no idea best try http://www.inside3d.com/ or http://www.quakesrc.org/ (though that's down)
2008-04-04, 08:53
1435 posts

Jan 2006
r_farclip might be the answer to your second question
  3 posts on 1 page  1