User panel stuff on forum
  36 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Client Talk
2008-02-08, 20:11
271 posts

Feb 2006
An avi supports more platforms at least...
But its huge. And looses video quality with compression. And doesn't let you slow down the game.
It also doesn't let you watch live games, although that's less attractive to people who don't know who the players are anyway.

It is however, piss easy. Just navigate there and click play. One demo!

Regarding an ocx control, presumably you could just create a blank window in there and start up a client rendering onto that window. In windows or x11, there is no requirement to own the parent window (who owns the root/desktop window?).
Firefox doesn't nativly support ocx controls though. So you'd need to implement it twice to cover all browsers. This is part of the reason why qtv works with .qtv files. Download and open the .qtv file and it'll load the client and automatically connect to the given stream. Just make the client appear windowed and its almost exactly the same effect.

The major problem is the game data. Again, with .qtv, a full client being loaded is a full client with the full gamedata required to draw it. Downloading that content for easy display in a browser is in 95% of cases illegal (quake's data is still under copyright). While requiring that the user sort out the gamedata in the case of a full client is a far more innocent aproach. But more practically, requiring to set up the plugin just complicates matters, contrary to the idea of browser plugins where you can just go to a page and have it work.
Personally, I feel the gecko/netscape/firefox plugin api would be easier to work in to an already existing client than the (mostly) IE-only ocx api. Just need to compile it as a dll and abstract away some of the system specific code, then create an installer package.
Theoretically it wouldn't be too hard to do it. It would just take a lot of code. Its the practicality of it weighted against the simplicity of just having a client installed easily, that opens .qtv streams.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/ <- looks like a good place to start
moo
2008-02-10, 20:36
75 posts

May 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
raket wrote:
Would'nt it be more easy to make a java quake?

Well isn't that kinda what we're talking about here? (which seems to be such a huge task that the current Quakeworld programmers can't even estimate the time consumption)

Hahahahaha

NO!!!

niomic wrote:
One other idea that came up thinking about this was to make a generic demo to vid tool which would automatically make a good vid with nice settings.

JohnNy_cz wrote:
Great, three features! Who gives more? :-) Anyway, which of these three seem the most important to you?
1 - web plugin
2 - demo to avi converter
3 - current action to mpeg stream functionality
(2) and (3) seem quite connected .. I can imagine that by solving (2), (3) gets automatically solved too, and vice versa.

2 - This is something that's realistic, and I've been thinking of doing something like this for the demo page I'm currently building (or well, it's on ice atm cause I'm busy with real life). My idea was to have a client that outputs to a file instead of the screen, and then you upload that to google video or youtube for the most popular demos and embed it on the webpage.

The entire idea of a in-browser client just makes me yawn, too much work, too little gain... you'd still require the newbies you want to lure into QW to install the OCX, and have all the quake data files and stuff... and if you do that, you might as well juts let them install nquake. As Spike puts it:
Spike wrote:
Theoretically it wouldn't be too hard to do it. It would just take a lot of code.

Instead of doing it in this time-consuming, pointless way, you could just do it like I'm currently doing on my webpage, where I use QTV to let you stream demos (press QTV Stream), it even lets you join current sessions like on the normal QTV webserver => http://www.butt.se:8000/demo/25/ <= oh and don't use IE6, I haven't made it retard safe yet... Make sure to check out the sexy killplot at the bottom of the page also.
2008-02-11, 10:28
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Cokeman:

http://www.butt.se:8000/demo/25/

^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^ what what whaaaaaat!!!

its public that ch-tv needs redesign. (DonKing doesn't make it easy though). But this is great. i mean... amazing! who needs challenge tv when u have Quakeworld cinema? How do you do that? i mean, stats, players positioning in the map?... i presume its done automatically and its a greeat feature.

hats off
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-02-11, 15:08
28 posts

Feb 2008
Cokeman wrote:
Instead of doing it in this time-consuming, pointless way, you could just do it like I'm currently doing on my webpage, where I use QTV to let you stream demos (press QTV Stream), it even lets you join current sessions like on the normal QTV webserver => http://www.butt.se:8000/demo/25/ <= oh and don't use IE6, I haven't made it retard safe yet... Make sure to check out the sexy killplot at the bottom of the page also.

That's so cool! Challenge-TV needs a new fresh design with this feature implented.
http://www.myspace.com/cervello
2008-02-12, 22:13
75 posts

May 2006
fuck challenge-tv... QW Cinema is the future

mushi wrote:
How do you do that? i mean, stats, players positioning in the map?... i presume its done automatically and its a greeat feature.

It's done using my mvdparser. Rewrote one from scratch with some inspiration from jogis parser which didn't suit my needs. The stats on that test page I pasted is very limited, the parser can generate a lot more, but I had to limit myself to get something done (made the page for a univ course). The killplot is done in the same way as the radar in ezQuake... Actually this was the first intended use for it, but I got a bit sidetracked when I tried implementing it in ezQuake instead (one of the reasons I got involved in ezQuake development).

Still need to add more sexy statistics + make things more robust, and ofcourse finish all parts of the page (you might've noticed some broken links), including uploading of demos and stuff ... But as I said, atm I'm too busy with school/life.
2008-02-12, 23:16
51 posts

Nov 2006
just stumbled upon this thread and i must say that looks very cool and could lead into awesomeness...
someone HAS to continue developing this!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
  36 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page