User panel stuff on forum
  40 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2010-12-07, 15:11
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
It seems there was more campers than we realized.
2010-12-07, 16:01
2 posts

Dec 2010
swiNg wrote:
Pretty funny that you wrote that in 2007, because he is still today camping it hard for hours and hours with one spot only on each map. He has changed his spot on DM4 though and is nowdays camping MH-room.
It's weird playing FFA when he's on. He's like an obstacle that changes the gameplay around a bit on the maps. Sometimes I wonder if he's really a human or a bad bot ...or a smurf.

From so many years of excessive camping I think he deserves the title 'Biggest camper of all time'.

smurf is indeed an enigma. Some do it because they suck too much to get frags any other way. Others do it to antagonize the other players. smurf just "does it". And incredibly well too.

And strangely, he doesn't seem to disrupt the game either. He'll frequently spend twelve minutes camping a part of the map that is rarely traversed unless someone spawns there... or rocket-jumping to somewhere unusual and sniping at people with the broomstick or whatever. He is quite passive and will happily share his camping spots with others.

He's gained quite a following on xs4all. I personally find him fascinating to watch and always spec him when he's on. His grenade-spawnpoint-tossing in ultrav is legendary.

smurfen smurfar

2010-12-07, 16:17
398 posts

Feb 2006
You don't happen to be smurf ztje?
2010-12-07, 16:36
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Why the need of two profiles ztje? You were like 1ms from getting insta-banned as a spammer...
2010-12-07, 17:34
2 posts

Dec 2010
Hagge wrote:
You don't happen to be smurf ztje?

No, I'm the crazy person who runs around with the axe sometimes.

Zalon wrote:
Why the need of two profiles ztje? You were like 1ms from getting insta-banned as a spammer...

Oh, I change my name frequently.

To elaborate, I opened an account under a different name before realizing it might be better to use the name I'm currently using in QW and on IRC to avoid confusion.

And Hagge, I hereby accuse you of being smurf!

2010-12-18, 19:43
4 posts

Mar 2006
I remember Logan well from Willow CA.
"DIE ULGY INSECT!" etc...

Jetli AKA Pred always camping at RA on DM3 on Willow CA
All CA players will remember him, it was always a rush to RA to stop him camping there!
2010-12-18, 19:48
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Haha, also remembered the guy who use(d?) to haunt xs4all but couldn't remember his nick - but of course it's Smurf.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-12-18, 20:20
370 posts

Mar 2008
I enjoy camping behind the tele on dm6...
2010-12-19, 13:32
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Personally I think there is a distinction between 'genuine' camping and just happening to be in certain areas of the map a lot fighting. To me camping is more about people waiting statically in a given place when nobody is there... sometimes you can be in a given location for 30s simply because you have been constantly battling enemies, e.g. dm2 low rl, or are waiting for an item to spawn, but you would have moved away to quad given the opportunity. But you still get called a camper just because you killed the same guy 5 times in the same place of the map within that timeframe. LG room on castle is another one, high volume of traffic means a lot of +attack and not a lot of +forward

A lot of it comes to down to player volume I think; the more players there are on the server, the more productive camping is likely to be since you will always get people walking past to kill. Sometimes like ztndm3 with only 6 players requires a lot of 'skill'/agression but put 10+ players in there and simply camping it out somewhere may work fairly well.

So then folks, what do you view as the most 'annoying' camping spots? For me I'd say:

dark-storm-ffa: RA pent room, no spawnpoints there and only one entrance, so it's highly defensible
ztndm4: Above GL on the extremity of the map, quite hard to kill people there as it can be difficult to get LG into that area of the map
dm3: discharge spammers
2010-12-19, 17:12
1732 posts

Jan 2007
dm3: discharge spammers
you mean the poolpissers
totally totally totally annoying, where again, smurf is the biggest
on castle i would say 123 on top of the legdge above the rl/ra room always with quad and pent, or myself camping always there in the coffee corner, hoping for respawners to end up in the lava

but yeh, overall...... i would say smurf is biggest camper
and if you see him move, that is weird, because he really moves very brilliantly and smooth
so i think he can play very well, what he also does if there is only a few people on the server btw
*** www.signedcmn.nl ***
  40 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page