User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2007-11-04, 13:37
401 posts

Mar 2006
Did anyone else notice how Q3 is much smoother at lower fps than QW? Type cl_maxfps 60 in ezquake. It sucks doesn't it? Like there is some kind of stuttering. Then try 30. Its unplayable because with my setup there is so much mouse lag, like you move mouse on the pad you don't even move on the screen. Try 30fps, I'm interested to see what you guys experience. Thats at 30 fps, 60 is not THAT bad but it still sucks bigtime.

compared to

ChallengeQuake3.exe with latest CPMA

Type com_maxfps 60. Notice how its much smoother than QW? Your jumps and speed also don't change. Its locked.

Why is that? Why do I have to use very high fps in ezquake to achieve smoothness? I don't get it. I played with every video setting available in ezquake and I simply can't achieve any kind of smoothness at 60fps

300fps and above is perfectly smooth tho.

My point is 60fps in qw is different than any other fps game and that can be a bad thing for newbies who come from other games and don't know how to setup qw properly.

I play at 1024x768@100hz, 500hz usb patch, dinput, no filters.
2007-11-04, 13:47
401 posts

Mar 2006
Ok I just compared q3 and qw at 60fps again and it appears q3 isnt that much smoother LOL. In fact the difference is very very small. Fuck me
2007-11-04, 14:10
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
terrorhead wrote:
Type com_maxfps 60. Notice how its much smoother than QW? Your jumps and speed also don't change. Its locked.

That wasn't entirely true either unless they have a permanent fix for it now. I think in Q3 you want at least 125 FPS to be able to make all the weird jumps. A classic case was at Q3DM13 where you could jump up to mega from below if you had enough FPS. There are probably a bunch of these, like bridge->rail on Q3DM6.

I think all ID Software engines are the same when it comes to FPS and movement relation. In Q2 there was a weird bug on Q2CTF2 (Mckinley revival?) where you would crouch behind the bars where the railgun were, grapple up onto the roof and then you could actually move into the center of the map - between the bars. I think most players had a 30 FPS bind just because of this. :}
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-11-04, 14:18
401 posts

Mar 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
terrorhead wrote:

That wasn't entirely true either unless they have a permanent fix for it now. I think in Q3 you want at least 125 FPS to be able to make all the weird jumps. A classic case was at Q3DM13 where you could jump up to mega from below if you had enough FPS. There are probably a bunch of these, like bridge->rail on Q3DM6.

I think all ID Software engines are the same when it comes to FPS and movement relation. In Q2 there was a weird bug on Q2CTF2 (Mckinley revival?) where you would crouch behind the bars where the railgun were, grapple up onto the roof and then you could actually move into the center of the map - between the bars. I think most players had a 30 FPS bind just because of this. :}

Yeah I knew a guy who was good at Jump mod for Quake2. They have like the best fps for each trick, so they use binds for 30, 60, 90 fps. Heh

The tricks in Q2Jump are fucking hard tho.
2007-11-04, 14:21
401 posts

Mar 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
terrorhead wrote:

That wasn't entirely true either unless they have a permanent fix for it now. I think in Q3 you want at least 125 FPS to be able to make all the weird jumps.

I'm not quite sure but I think physics in CPMA are fixed now and are not affected by fps. AFAIK you only needed 125fps in that ancient OSP mod
2007-11-04, 14:32
108 posts

Jun 2006
terrorhead, u should try without dinput (that would be in_mouse 1)
It seems dinput can lag behind with 500usb hz or more. I noticed with dinput, i would do sligthly more for a realy fast 360 than a slow 360. I thougth this was a issue with my mouse. But then i tried with in_mouse 1, and fast movments seemed faster. Then i checked my sens and now i do exactly the same cm for a 360 no matter what speed. I got more accurate flick shots and shaft.

It important to use win sens on the 6.notch, this will give u a 1:1 ration to the game. Any more win sens, windows just dubble the pixels moved when moving mouse.
2007-11-04, 15:10
401 posts

Mar 2006
Shikari wrote:
terrorhead, u should try without dinput (that would be in_mouse 1)
It seems dinput can lag behind with 500usb hz or more. I noticed with dinput, i would do sligthly more for a realy fast 360 than a slow 360. I thougth this was a issue with my mouse. But then i tried with in_mouse 1, and fast movments seemed faster. Then i checked my sens and now i do exactly the same cm for a 360 no matter what speed. I got more accurate flick shots and shaft.

It important to use win sens on the 6.notch, this will give u a 1:1 ration to the game. Any more win sens, windows just dubble the pixels moved when moving mouse.

Wow you are definitely right. With in_mouse 1 30fps is actually playable. Didn't know that, thanks.
  7 posts on 1 page  1