User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2007-08-27, 17:19
108 posts

Jun 2006
Where im about to move, the cable tv connection is like 15€ cheaper for about same bandwidth as adsl.
The cable isp is Canal digital. Anyone have any experience with this isp or how much more ping such a cable connection would give.
Also how stable it is..
Im currently on adsl 8mb and ping 30 to wargmz.
2007-08-27, 17:39
15 posts

Aug 2007
ask your neibours. its probly diferent were you live and etc and wish isp´s you choose.
2007-08-30, 10:45
245 posts

Jan 2006
Cable can sometimes (in rare case - with the best possible signal and low load) get about 2-3ms to isp.
The normal ping is about 6-8ms which is added by media.

Back in 2001 i Had cable and at best singal rate i had 13ms in qw in finland, However this is VERY rare.

If you want lower ping go with cable, if you want stability go with adsl.
2007-08-30, 11:40
126 posts

Jun 2007
Here in the netherlands i would prefer adsl over cable, but it doesn't matter all that much.
2007-08-30, 11:54
950 posts

Apr 2006
Same in France
2007-08-30, 12:00
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
asking your neighbours would be the best option

adsl and cable are different technologies.
cable is faster in connecting your house to the isp. sometimes as few as 3ms. this is because no conversion is needed (its ethernet to ethernet)
In adsl the signal has to be converted to ethernet until it reaches the isp (i believe its called modulation, i can't say for sure). This results in few ms extra (5-15ms).

In adsl the distance between your home and the nearest central is crucial. <1km is best.
in cable, the number of ppl connected in your area (cell) is the most important. Watchout for "high times" - usually between 18h and 24h (at least in Portugal). between these hours the cell may get more traffic it can handle and the ping may be higher.

Which one is the best?
Depends on your location (and the isp itself*). Hence "ask the neighbours". Both are good. both have flaws. just make the right choice

* Of course, the isp routing is important also. choose an isp that's good for games (low latency to qw servers
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-08-30, 16:37
284 posts

Oct 2006
I really think that you can't break it down like this

I've had cable (from the same ISP as now) that only gave decent and steady pings during night at like 2am. But now in a different location and a bit different package I get really good steady connection in Finland and abroad.

Also had ADSL that didn't work so well, and another provider that was superb.

The thing that has mostly kept me away from adsl are the ridiculous delivery times, like 2-6 weeks, plz. Cable I can get hooked up in like 30min :]
2007-08-30, 16:40
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
edit:
oh yes i can

you got to wonder why the difference.
And part of the answer is what I posted

someone who works at a telecom can confirm what i posted
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-09-03, 11:53
245 posts

Jan 2006
niomic wrote:
I really think that you can't break it down like this

I've had cable (from the same ISP as now) that only gave decent and steady pings during night at like 2am. But now in a different location and a bit different package I get really good steady connection in Finland and abroad.

Also had ADSL that didn't work so well, and another provider that was superb.

The thing that has mostly kept me away from adsl are the ridiculous delivery times, like 2-6 weeks, plz. Cable I can get hooked up in like 30min :]

ADSL is a Dedicated LINK. (ATM)
Cable Connection is NOT. (IP) <- Why you get unstable ping.

Case closed.
  9 posts on 1 page  1