User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-07-23, 22:54
150 posts

Nov 2006
I think this question is aiming directly to developers of ezquake

What is the value of directinput buffer size ?
#define DINPUT_BUFFERSIZE (should be something like this maybe?)

I always had the feeling my mouse at 500hz lags a bit, 250hz seems fine, i can be wrong, but i notice that more when using in_mouse 2 (directinput)
2007-07-23, 23:27
284 posts

Oct 2006
I have to say that I agree and have been opposing the use of -dinput for a long time because of this. There is a noticeable difference in dinputless and dinput response at 500-1000hz at least.

The response is not really all that bad and you get used to it quite quickly. I actually felt that at times it helped my shaft because of poorer response (wasn't fixing aim too much). Generally though aiming feels heavier, in the sense that since response isn't crisp, it feels like you are dragging a heavy mouse.
2007-07-24, 06:49
357 posts

Mar 2006
DINPUT_BUFFERSIZE is set at 16, though I have seen some code use 32, im assuming this is kb.
2007-07-24, 14:56
364 posts

Oct 2006
Matrix, niomic, here's a little game for you guys.

After you run this script (once), press Enter. When you press Enter, the script will randomly activate or deactivate DirectInput. Your task then is to run around for a while and try to guess if dinput is active or not. Press 1 for dinput or 0 otherwise. Repeat 20 times.

If you score 20 correct guesses out of 20 you win the jackpot!

Don't cheat, for there is no one but yourself to fool.

alias gamble "if $rand > 0.5 then set di 1 else set di 0; if $di == 1 then in_mouse 2 else in_mouse 1; in_restart; echo Press 1 if you think dinput is enabled, or 0 otherwise"
alias say_stats "echo Correct guesses: $c_hit, wrong: $c_miss"
alias say_right "echo That's right, we're using dinput!; inc c_hit; say_stats"
alias say_wrong "echo Whoops, wrong -- no dinput!; inc c_miss; say_stats"
alias reset_stats "set c_hit 0; set c_miss 0; set di 666"
reset_stats
bind enter gamble
bind 1 "if $di == 1 say_right else say_wrong; set di 666"
bind 0 "if $di == 0 say_right else say_wrong; set di 666"

Disclamer: I haven't tested if the script actually works; I hope kind person knowledgeable in scripts will smooth out any rough edges.
2007-07-25, 11:32
150 posts

Nov 2006
Sounds interesting, u want to see if its phsycological or it actually makes a diference.
I will do the test tonight when i get home. The only one to fool is me so i will be 100% true on this and post my answers to the test.
2007-07-25, 12:34
284 posts

Oct 2006
Just tested it quickly, seemed to work. Have to get back to the actual test later on, with this hangover, everything feels heavy
2007-07-26, 00:02
150 posts

Nov 2006
OK, im doing this test since 1:00am map pov using lg only with ping around 70ms. This is how i notice it more, just by walking around the map a bit doesnt give me any results, it as to be during a fight.

Visual perception is diferent for every person and sometimes its easy to be tricked by dinput lag and think its network lag, specially on higher pings. Im not trying to make ppl think dinput is bad, its was a doubt i had to myself and now im just showing my impressions, but to me its bad...

So far i have 5 answers correct and 0 wrong, and it was pretty clear to me when i had dinput ON because screen gets more laggy with lg and i couldnt make same %
U will say 5 aint enough to make a full impression, maybe but i have a very clean impression so far, i wanna do 20 answers but noone is entering the server.
Wanted to post the screenshot but i still dont know how to attach an image...
2007-07-26, 00:10
150 posts

Nov 2006
Just one thing i forgot to mention, there is something wrong with that script cose when i press 0 to say im not using dinput it still says: "that's right we're using dinput"
but it counts as a correct asnwer, its just the wrong echo
  8 posts on 1 page  1