User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  Keyboard selection
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2007-07-06, 13:37
347 posts

Feb 2006
Hi,

I am currently looking for a new keyboard, since my old Logitech UltraX is rather broken. Now, for my new keyboard I have some very specific requirement. It must be able to recognize presses to the keys A and D while I'm simultaneously holding both W and S. Now this might sound like a strange requirement, but it so happens that in the game of GTA, you have to hold both accelerate (W) and brake (S) and steer left or right (A or D respectively) to make donuts. Okay, this isn't exactly QW, but I think it'll be interesting to shed some light on different keyboard nonetheless.

On my current keyboard as well as my brother's Eclipse II, which is supposed to be a gamer keyboard I guess, holding both W and S simultaneously effectively disables the keys Q, A, E, D, R and F. If you want to test this yourself, open notepad and click and hold W and S. Depending on the order you pressed them, you should see a lot of w's or s'es. Now press one of the keys mentioned above. If it starts typing this character, success! Please let me know about it!

Now, I was actually looking at the Steelkeys 6G keyboard, since they promise to support up to 8 simultaneous key presses, but before I buy it, I would really like to know whether someone that actual owns one could confirm whether it can pass this little test.

NB: Both the Logitech UltraX and the Eclipse II can otherwise handle up to six simultaneous key presses if you don't hit a weak group like mentioned above. Try A,S,D,F and H,J,K. Both keyboards make it to J, but fail to create any Ks.
2007-07-06, 14:13
637 posts

Jan 2006
btw, what kind of GTA are you playing? :S use a steering wheel?
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-07-06, 14:20
347 posts

Feb 2006
Keyboard is fine for GTA, except some vehicles would be easier to steer with an analog controller, but we're only talking on a few special maps. I don't really want to purchase a steering wheel. It takes up too much space and I would only use it for GTA. What I really want is a good keyboard.
  3 posts on 1 page  1