User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Client Talk  ‹  nQuake
  870 posts on 29 pages  First page17181920212223242526Last page
Client Talk
2012-02-09, 12:37
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Nope, you must not make stuff playable without pak1.pak or you will be violating the shareware license.
2012-02-09, 15:31
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Spirit wrote:
Nope, you must not make stuff playable without pak1.pak or you will be violating the shareware license.

Reading the Shareware license, I don't see anything about that, however I see a lot of other stuff that we do that the shareware license says we can't do.

Also, there is a reason why nQuake downloads the original quake shareware zip and unpacks pak0.pak, instead of just being bundled with pak0.pak.
2012-02-21, 11:20
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Can you both cite exactly what section we would be violating by doing this, and what sections we are currently violating?
2012-02-21, 11:32
226 posts

Mar 2007
How you guys think about ezQuake/nQuake default config? In my eyes it's way too faithfull since Q1 graphics wont attract anybody. I've been asking Jehar's webcasting config for a while but havent got it yet, but I think that would be really good for default config since it's really streamlined sort of "pro"-gaming cfg without textures etc, but still pretty modern looking. Another thing is ezQuake's configs but I suppose this is not the right place to talk about that.
2012-02-21, 14:06
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I think the default config is perfect graphic-wise. There are other obstacles though imo:

- Weapon handling always seemed dodgy

- The HUD numbers are perhaps a bit too faithful, these i always change for something more visual

- Crosshair uses a crosshairimage, not the most intuitive thing when a new player wanna change the crosshair easily...unless you simply tell him to swap the gfx file instead of using the crosshair/crosshairimage commands

- In the past i always had to use four commands to change the enemyskin i use; enemyskin, enemypentskin, enemyquadskin, enemybothskin. Imo only the first one should be needed - do the other ones really add that much value? I always remembered to change enemyskin and then in the first mix the enemy quad would turn out to be the same colour as my mates and vice versa when it was team quad.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-02-22, 08:49
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Taking suggestions for the nQuake _installer_.
2012-02-22, 09:19
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
- The HUD numbers are perhaps a bit too faithful, these i always change for something more visual

http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/details/83/def/

Would that one be preferred?

Ake Vader wrote:

Dodgy? Be more specific. How could it be improved?

Is the problem that it's not a "clan war ready" weapon script?

Ake Vader wrote:
- Crosshair uses a crosshairimage, not the most intuitive thing when a new player wanna change the crosshair easily...unless you simply tell him to swap the gfx file instead of using the crosshair/crosshairimage commands

I would like a crosshair browser within the ezQuake settings.

How would you suggest we solve this without a crosshair browser? Use the fugly conchar cross?

Ake Vader wrote:
- In the past i always had to use four commands to change the enemyskin i use; enemyskin, enemypentskin, enemyquadskin, enemybothskin. Imo only the first one should be needed - do the other ones really add that much value? I always remembered to change enemyskin and then in the first mix the enemy quad would turn out to be the same colour as my mates and vice versa when it was team quad.

Is this an nQuake suggestion?

enemy*skin is set to "" in nQuake, hence you only need to change enemyskin to change them all.
2012-02-22, 10:09
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
empezar wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/details/83/def/

Would that one be preferred?

Yes! That's the one i always swap to myself when i do clean nQuake installations.

empezar wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

Dodgy? Be more specific. How could it be improved?

Is the problem that it's not a "clan war ready" weapon script?

I need to investigate this a bit further with a clean installation but the new players seem confused by any autoswitching going on and for me it was not good enough for serious play. The in-built ezQuake weapon autoswitch never seemed to be as good as the "good old fashioned" scripts to me but i need to test it again to pinpoint what it was i disliked.

empezar wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

I would like a crosshair browser within the ezQuake settings.

How would you suggest we solve this without a crosshair browser? Use the fugly conchar cross?

At least the conchar crosshairs gives several different options easily. Perhaps adding a few different crosshair images and give them easy names ("crosshair1, crosshair2 etc" would be ok?

empezar wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

Is this an nQuake suggestion?

enemy*skin is set to "" in nQuake, hence you only need to change enemyskin to change them all.

Good!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-02-22, 13:25
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Okay I made some changes to nQuake:

* Def HUD numbers added.
* Added the 20 most popular crosshairs. Access them using "crosshair_list".
* Changed the weapon script handling to the built-in version. Works flawlessly.
* Added a short list of quick weapon binds on startup.
* Made config save in home directory (now config saving works in Windows 7!).
* Made config save automatically on quit (preferred behaviour for beginners).
* Made fullbright skins default (red enemies, white teammates - perhaps not the best combination, but it's the easiest to understand).
2012-02-22, 13:46
226 posts

Mar 2007
Maybe a few different config-presets in the installer? Ie you could install different configs/gfx, maybe with small screenshots? Sort of QL style. Since the ezQ config loader is pointless how it is atm.
2012-02-22, 14:21
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
That's a good suggestion, and I will look into it when I feel I have the time it will take to modify the installer (with screenshots of the different setups). Perhaps I could add an interim solution with just different configs that can be loaded with cfg_load.

I would also like to add the GPL maps (with no textures) since I can't see how that would be illegal. However, I tried playing with them and I couldn't join any servers. So I guess I'll have to wait for server support to be added, and installed on all the big servers.
2012-03-19, 08:35
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Next nQuake version (the actual installer) will use a different distfile system.

What I mean by that is instead of making distfiles based on what the content is, the distfiles will be based on what license the content has, since this is what nQuake is all about anyway.

This will allow me to make the installation folder a bit more tidy.

The new nQuake version (2.0) will also sport new installer graphics (by blaps) and will be released in conjunction with the new nQuake website (a major improvement from before) made by blaps and delete, with a new trailer made by TheBeats. I'm waiting with the new release until the GPL maps and the new nQuake trailer have been completed. That way nQuake v2.0 will not have a pak1.pak finder page in the installer, making the installation process even quicker.

It will all be really great.
2012-03-19, 13:27
186 posts

Jan 2008
empezar wrote:

Do people like this? I hate it when stuff ends up in the home directory.
2012-03-19, 15:37
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
dithes wrote:
empezar wrote:

Do people like this? I hate it when stuff ends up in the home directory.

I bet people like it more than not being able to save anything at all (Windows 7 security).
2012-03-19, 15:40
186 posts

Jan 2008
I have windows 7 and have never had any problem saving? Is it when you install it to "program files"?
2012-03-19, 16:44
87 posts

Apr 2011
Yes, I keep it in c:/quake as always, no problems saving
2012-03-19, 17:11
186 posts

Jan 2008
I see, stupid Microsoft has done it again
2012-03-19, 17:59
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
empezar take a look at issues at sourceforge
(update your signature aswell?)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-03-19, 18:12
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
mushi wrote:
empezar take a look at issues at sourceforge
(update your signature aswell?)

I've fixed everything you asked for. I just haven't marked it as done yet.
2012-08-16, 19:56
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I updated nQuake to v2.0 just now.

Download and try it out.

The biggest change is the GPL maps, so pak1.pak won't be needed anymore unless you want the full Quake experience. Multiplayer-wise it's fine.

Also, I've tried to clean the directory up a lot by putting stuff in pk3 files. I understand some of you will dislike this. I urge you to use WINRAR to unzip these files. I will not change this. The readme clearly states where everything belongs, so I will not add any empty folders either.

I hope at least some of you will like the changes made to the file structure
2012-08-16, 20:24
364 posts

Oct 2006
FWIW, I tried installing it on Linux via Wine, and I didn't see dm2..dm6 there.
What I see is that the filenames id1 and pak0.pak are capitalized which will give an unnecessary headache to people dual-booting Windows and Linux configurations.
2012-08-17, 06:00
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
The mirrors are probably not updated yet.

My nQuake installation has lowercase pak0.pak and id1 folders, and there is specific code in the installer that does this:

Rename "$INSTDIR\ID1" "$INSTDIR\id1"
Rename "$INSTDIR\id1\PAK0.PAK" "$INSTDIR\id1\pak0.pak"

I have no idea why it doesn't work with WINE.
2012-08-17, 08:56
364 posts

Oct 2006
One of the countless WINE bugs then. Sorry for annoyance.
2012-08-17, 08:58
364 posts

Oct 2006
Why u no make linux nQuake 2.0, Empy?
2012-08-17, 09:21
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I should, shouldn't I?
2012-08-17, 09:25
364 posts

Oct 2006
Yes, you should.
2012-08-17, 10:11
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Here are some suggestions mushi sent me:

* ezquake/sb folder: update_sources.bat have wget command. Delete this file in windows installation?
* there's no cfg folder under ezquake folder. even though it exists in ezquake.pk3, the game doesn't load it under menu options/config/load script. check this out..
* why ruleset smackdown is default? imo it shouldn't, (movement scripts are disabled by it). plus, makes no sense enabling a "league configuration" when the default setup doesn't even set a fullbright enemy skin.
* console prints 62 duplicate files, any idea what files are? (i detected in pak0.pak and nquake0.pk3 some duplicate files under models folder..)
* loading the gpl maps, only dm5.lit file has correct size. (message in the console)
* it didn't detect my desktop resolution. would be cool if it detected
* i recommend sb_refresh on startup

I have no idea about the duplicate files.

Lit files wrong sizes? Tonik?

Detecting desktop resolution seems to be an ezQuake problem.
2012-08-17, 11:21
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
The download links in http://nquake.com/ are wrong. The windows ones are pointing to 1.9 installer.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-08-17, 13:22
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Links are updated.
2012-08-17, 13:33
364 posts

Oct 2006
Empezar, remove dm2..dm6.lit from the installer, they're incompatible with the GPL maps, that's why you get the warning.

Remove e1m2.bsp too.

And I suggest you put dm2..dm6 into a separate pak so that people who have pak1.pak can remove it and use their vanilla maps (and custom lits if they like).

Textures. I see you use the old lava texture with black splotches -- hasn't QRP released a better version?

On dm4, the fullbright textures are missing -- it seems to be a problem with AquaShark's map
  870 posts on 29 pages  First page17181920212223242526Last page