User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-05-23, 16:19
122 posts

Jan 2007
(First of all, sorry for my lame English.)

On my home computer I use VPN to connect to my ISP. But unfortunately the Windows' VPN implementation gives me PL because ezQuake uses way too much CPU power to render screen image; VPN lacks CPU time and my connection suffers high packet loss. I.e. when I play QW with independent physics on, I'm getting PL (no enough processor time for connection). So I've been forced to play with sys_highpriority -1 (sys_yieldcpu 1 didn't help)... But sys_highpriority -1 gave me strange screen jerkiness (my screen will repeatedly freeze for a short but noticeable moment) -- and this irritated me quite a bit.

So, after some research, I've found a way to force VPN process to work on priority higher then normal.

Download this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&DisplayLang=en

Install the program. You may move file subinacl.exe to other directories. Then create a .bat file which should contain:

subinacl.exe /process system /grant=stas

, but instead of "stas" you have to write your Windows' username on your PC. This will allow you to change System process priority.

Then press CTRL+ALT+DEL and in the opened window select Processes. There find a System item in the list, press on it with right button and select Priorities -> High -> Yes

That's it. VPN works on high priority, ezQuake works on normal priority. No PL, no screen glitches. Everything works fine. :-)

Known issues: You have to do that by hand and it works until Windows reboots. Works on Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro and higher.

P.S. To remove the ability to change process priority:

subinacl.exe /process system /perm
--
"Dag eats little Reloads for breakfast." (c) :-)
2007-05-27, 10:37
122 posts

Jan 2007
In case there is somebody interested...

I've fould a programm that does everything I described above automatically.

http://www.bitsum.com/ProSuper.asp -- It's free!

After installation in "Out-of-control..." window uncheck "Enable out-of-control...", "Ok". Then in main window of the program find "System" item. Right click it ->Default priority... -> High
--
2007-05-31, 13:09
122 posts

Jan 2007
Also I recommend to uncheck both options from: Options -> Foreground boosting -> Enable...
--
  3 posts on 1 page  1