User panel stuff on forum
  63 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
Server Talk
2007-04-12, 10:08
1435 posts

Jan 2006
I'd like to know players' experiences with the team overlay feature newly added to the KTX mod. Your teammates status is being periodically sent to the client and the client can then draw you a table with nicely formatted info about your teammates' position, health, armor, weapon and ammo. You may know this for example from Quake 3 Arena.

Developers have already obtained lots of theoretical thoughts and general sayings like "auto stuff is bad" and we really appreciate those. But because QuakeWorld gameplay is complicated, it's hard to say which of the theories we got is the one that reflects the reality best. So here I'd like to hear your practical experiences. How the gameplay was different when you tried this feature?

You can try this feature at the qw.speciell.org and Renzo's servers with latest ezQuake beta version.
Implementation of the feature in KTX and ezQuake was done by qqshka.

Renzo wrote:
First tests done (2on2).

If you have voice and team overlay, team messages become somewhat irrelevant. I noticed that I accidentally pushed report keys even if I didn't mean to. At first it was fairly difficult to use the overlay (actually I had to play few rounds with it at different locations before I found just the right place below normal message lines).

After all the testing I came to a conclusion that with voice I wouldn't use any other team messages if I had the team overlay. Also I found that reading team overlay in fast action is as hard as it is to read normal team messages... you can only see if your teammate is alive, if you have time to watch the overlay. It was easier to shoot at noises because I knew that my teammate was nowhere near the sounds were coming from... from time to time. There were still teamkills, because of the fast nature of the game, you don't always have the time to read any messages and you just shoot rocket or two to spawn when you hear someone die.

So my conclusion is that team overlay is a really good thing with voice considering the teamplay aspect. You can play much more efficiently against noises. Also you can see your teammates statuses all the time so you can react to situations more efficiently.

HOWEVER, there is one important thing: if one hasn't read the teammessages before, he won't be looking at the team overlay either. According to my experience it is really easy to lost focus on team overlay and just roam around. Also looking at it all the time will make you more vulnerable since you are not concentrating on the field and I found myself getting free damage from enemies since I wasn't quite aware at the time I was just watching the TO.
2007-04-12, 11:09
1329 posts

Apr 2006
And this is what the team overlay looks like: (you can customize the styles/locations of items or the TO itself)

http://www.final-heaven.net/temp/ezquake000.jpg
Servers: Troopers
2007-04-12, 11:25
1026 posts

Feb 2006
does team overlay appear in prewar?
i guess not since i can't see it
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-12, 11:46
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Aquashark wrote:
does team overlay appear in prewar?
i guess not since i can't see it

Then it's not working as it should appear. Well, you need at least two players in your team to actually see it.
2007-04-12, 16:11
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
I don't like it. It's like a a low-level radar and like Renzo said, shooting at sounds is much easier (it shouldn't be because your teammate doesn't always give you his loc before you hear a sound)

I vote spec/demo playback only
2007-05-22, 11:32
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I like it.

Should be included in some ruleset in case some leagues dont wanna approve it. But maybe isnt necessary, just allow it for higher div's at first for one season to see REAL feedback. My guess is at the end of the league ppl will love it and continue to use it.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-05-22, 13:32
485 posts

Feb 2006
No need for ruleset, because teamoverlay requires server support. Use "teamoverlay" to toggle.
2007-05-22, 16:58
1754 posts

Jan 2006
any screens please? Renzo's is dead.. :/
2007-05-22, 22:10
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Uuups, sorry about that. New one uploaded.
2007-05-23, 17:09
312 posts

Feb 2006
is there a some sort of minimum requirement for this? at least i cant see it with my 400*300 gl and neither do i see it with any resolution on sw.. how about thinking about us with shitty computers :----(((((((
2007-05-23, 17:19
485 posts

Feb 2006
mipa wrote:
is there a some sort of minimum requirement for this? at least i cant see it with my 400*300 gl and neither do i see it with any resolution on sw.. how about thinking about us with shitty computers :----(((((((

Works for me with 400x300 conwidth. Remember server needs to support teamoverlay for it to show up at all.
2007-09-11, 14:05
229 posts

Aug 2007
How can you change a placement of teamoverlay? So basically I'm asking about what are commands for enabling, disabling and tweaking teamoverlay? I have it enabled but don't know how.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-09-11, 15:07
1026 posts

Feb 2006
scr_teaminfo_*
god damn hippies >_<
2007-09-18, 13:53
229 posts

Aug 2007
It works, makes it easier to start teamplaying, removes some mm2 and overall it adds more teamplay-factor to div50(and other lower div). Many new players also has been using it with other quake-games so it makes it easier to start. It requires a lot of practise, aim, moving and a lot of tactics to win when using it as before. It just makes it all more clear and logical. I won't start using it until it's allowed everywhere(it's allowed in rookie div of eql where I play). This is my experience after a week of usage. Haven't used it in 4on4, only with some random 2on2. I like it.

ps. You still need to use lots of team-msgs and read mm2 in battle.

EDIT:
Peppe wrote:
any screens please?

http://sha.rikos.org/qw/teamoverlay.jpg
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]

QUAD
2007-09-18, 16:27
51 posts

Jul 2007
shaga wrote:
I won't start using it until it's allowed everywhere(it's allowed in rookie div of eql where I play).

Same for me.
Assuming that I will one day play in div5:
I got used to the teamoverlay, during div50. Then in div5 its not allowed, so my teamplay will suck
Allow it for everyone or for noone, imho.
range"> » Mob of Oddballsrange"> » #mofo @ qnet
2007-09-21, 04:54
8 posts

Apr 2006
What are the server side commands to enable team overlay?
"OMG! How annoying are signatures?"
2007-09-21, 05:09
51 posts

Jul 2007
/teamoverlay, requires KTX.
range"> » Mob of Oddballsrange"> » #mofo @ qnet
2007-09-21, 05:44
229 posts

Aug 2007
Hmm. I started using this anyway. I use mm2/mm3 as usually but if I want to see quick overview what weapons my mates has, I can check the overlay fastly. So it's not like I'm using teamoverlay to skip otherwise so important mm2. And if I use it like this(not fully), I can stop using it whenever I want.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]

QUAD
2007-09-21, 11:30
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Finally I got to play some 4on4 games with this feature.
1) I used it to check how many RLs we have in team, and who has how many health/armor if a weapon was about to appear or who has a weapon if armor was about to appear. That was really nice and usefull and increased the "smoothness" of the teamplay. I think such advantage helps the teamplay to grow and it's worth it.
2) Also there were situations where thanks to teamoverlay I could say "hmm, there is my strong teammate in e1m2-mega room, I'm almost dead with RL but it looks safe to go there" - that's about it, it's much easier to discover where it's safe to go, where I can find my team backup. Notice that you still don't know where are enemies.
3) I can't confirm what Up2nOgOoD said. I didn't notice that shooting on sounds is easier. I'm not denying it can't help you do it. Just saying that it didn't happen in the games I've played.
2007-09-21, 12:04
151 posts

Feb 2006
It was easier. Much too easy, if you ask me. Here's just a few ways that it changes gameplay in 4on4;

1) You know instantly when one of your teammates is under attack, and where. No need for him to ask for help. You also know whether you'll make it there in time to save him, or whether to stay away.
2) You know, by combination of death-messages, where he was when quad killed him, even if he fails to report it.
3) You know, at the blink of an eye, the overall status of your team and whether it's ready to attack that high-rl/quad or whether you should wait for the next quad and hide / get a weapon.
4) While all the info that's on the overlay is theoretically available to you through the use of reports, keeping all that info in your head and sorting through other teamsays to see it is part of what gives QW teamplay it's charm. It's not supposed to be easy.

I can see uses for it in mixes and for random 2on2's and what not, but I don't see it ever being incorporated into competitive gameplay. It would simplify far too much that's not supposed to be simple.
2007-09-21, 12:16
569 posts

Feb 2006
dakoth wrote:
It would simplify far too much that's not supposed to be simple.

Yee.. would be like using a MS excel instead of notepad for a large amount of data. Way2simple.

edit: sorry that was badly put. Anyways what i meant was that sometimes there is tools that are more suited for the task. That were not at available when you started off.
2007-09-21, 12:17
135 posts

Jan 2006
I haven't tried it yet but from what dakoth is saying I think the feature can really help teams which use only mm2.
Anyway, if we ban team overlay then mm3 should also be banned for similiar reasons.
2007-09-21, 13:04
370 posts

May 2006
I dislike it, even though me and nielz only use mm2. It's handy to know where your teammate is all the time but it's automated and that's what I dislike about it.

I played a few games with people I don't usually play with and they don't spam their messages like me and nielz do, and then it's fucking awesome, makes me plan my moves better because I know where he is all the time, where he spawns so where he needs help, immediately.

So it's awesome in teamplay but it's automatic and I don't drive automatic cars either!!!
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-09-21, 13:07
370 posts

May 2006
plast wrote:
I haven't tried it yet but from what dakoth is saying I think the feature can really help teams which use only mm2.
Anyway, if we ban team overlay then mm3 should also be banned for similiar reasons.

mm3 still requires sender->reciever activity , team overlay doesn't.
2007-09-21, 13:28
151 posts

Feb 2006
There's a reason stuff like this; automatic things that makes the game easier, are opposed by some. The way I see it, we see the whole picture, while your vision is occluded by what's right in front of you. Yes, this change would simplify matters. Keep going in that direction long enough though, and you'll be playing pong in 3d. My point being that simplifying things, while neat and all, isn't always the way to go to make the game more fun. QW is still hanging in there after 10 years of other FPS's having flooded the market for a reason; it provides challenge to the player. In my opinion it is one of the most challenging FPS's out there. If you tear down that wall, brick by brick, by making the game easier, it is my sincere belief QW will truly die out.

There are people who have played this game for damn near 10 years and still aren't undefeatable champions. Sure, some of that might be talent (or lack thereof), but mostly I think this game is so much more than just your aim. Please don't work towards turning the game into just any other FPS that has come and gone. That's not to say that features in general shouldn't be added; I'm just saying that any features that affect gameplay in major ways need to be discussed and argued over, much like this thread does, before they are allowed in competitive gameplay.
2007-09-21, 13:41
135 posts

Jan 2006
Dakoth, last 10 years have brougth so many BIG changes in QW that this one, relatively small, can't really change anything. Div1 teams will still be unreachable even for top div2 teams and so on. It's detail. It makes game more enjoyable for some people (less spam to read), can help other (only if they think), but won't make them even one div better in no time. Sure, eventually if wisely used it could help some teams a lot, but that takes time, practice and skill. Like every other thing, mm2, mm3, etc. . I don't care if it's gonna be allowed. I just point the fear is groundless, in a way.

FlePser wrote:

But still requres receiver activity. Even increased as it's another source of data. Some people can't handle one source (mm2), some can't concentrate while using voice and mm2 at once, so it's highly probable it may be impossible for some people to cover one more source.
2007-09-21, 15:21
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
dakoth wrote:
There's a reason stuff like this; automatic things that makes the game easier, are opposed by some. The way I see it, we see the whole picture, while your vision is occluded by what's right in front of you. Yes, this change would simplify matters. Keep going in that direction long enough though, and you'll be playing pong in 3d. My point being that simplifying things, while neat and all, isn't always the way to go to make the game more fun. QW is still hanging in there after 10 years of other FPS's having flooded the market for a reason; it provides challenge to the player. In my opinion it is one of the most challenging FPS's out there. If you tear down that wall, brick by brick, by making the game easier, it is my sincere belief QW will truly die out.

There are people who have played this game for damn near 10 years and still aren't undefeatable champions. Sure, some of that might be talent (or lack thereof), but mostly I think this game is so much more than just your aim. Please don't work towards turning the game into just any other FPS that has come and gone. That's not to say that features in general shouldn't be added; I'm just saying that any features that affect gameplay in major ways need to be discussed and argued over, much like this thread does, before they are allowed in competitive gameplay.

This post deserves to be in some kind of hall of fame somwhere for all QW players to remember.

flepser wrote:
plast wrote:

Exactly. It totally removes the skill that includes supplying your teammates with information.

Someone wrote:
But, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SKILL IN PRESSING A BUTTON!?

well, you need to know WHEN to press the button. You're just "pressing buttons" when you move, aim and shoot too. Maybe we should make those tasks automatic too and see what the game will be with that kind of stuff. There's a reason that rocketjump scripts and item timers are banned. The latter one should apply to the TO too.

Someone else wrote:
QUAKE ISN'T A READING CONTEST! THERE'S NO HARM IN MAKING THINGS SIMPLER!

It's not a reading contest, but it is a teamplay contest and supplying your teammates with information is, at the moment, a very vital part of the teamplay.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-09-21, 15:30
126 posts

Jun 2007
shaga wrote:
2007-09-21, 17:36
370 posts

May 2006
People always think it's strange to say. ah well, if we make everything automatic why not make a contest for best aimbot?
2007-09-21, 17:37
370 posts

May 2006
marshall wrote:
shaga wrote:

learn2quote it was Senft
  63 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page