User panel stuff on forum
  66 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
General Discussion
2006-02-03, 21:29
1754 posts

Jan 2006
one thing that really disturbs me is high ping and shafting, now since my isp fucked up and has given me 60 ms to iop I want to bring this up.
cl_truelightning 1 should not be banned! it doesn't feel right without it and it's not fair to high pingers.
with this on, playing with 50-60 ping would not be so annoying(except in 4on4 when you sg alot). Isn't anyone else fed up with the shaft dragging 1-2 centimeters behind the crosshair and you're not sure where to aim.
To really shaft good you need 12ms or lower :E sadly enough this is not available for everyone at all servers.
please, when are we going to get rid of this silly ban against making this game more about low ping and so much better?!
2006-02-03, 21:46
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Eeh, truelightning will only make your game as a highpinger HARDER as you have no idea of where the shaft really is? :rolleyes:
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-02-03, 22:06
1754 posts

Jan 2006
When playing without cl_truelightning 1 you get that glue-effect
this means that the shaft stays at the player even if the crosshair is a bit out of place(not directly on the player). now, with 12 ms that glue-effect stays really good
Imagine this effect+lag, it's not gonna work too good. the lag makes the glue-effect drop and not work as for the person with 12ms.
cl_truelightning 1 would make shafting more fair so this effect will not work and shafting will be more complicated
2006-02-03, 22:08
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
Eeh, truelightning will only make your game as a highpinger HARDER as you have no idea of where the shaft really is? :rolleyes:

eh, no, easier since the shaft is were the crosshair is
2006-02-03, 22:20
108 posts

Jan 2006
err... bollocks peppe
Spell "mogul," Bateman. How do you spell mogul? M-o-g-u-l. Mo-gul. Mog-ul. Ice, ghosts, aliens-
2006-02-03, 22:30
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
Quote:

eh, no, easier since the shaft is were the crosshair is

The BEAM is there, but the beam won't make the damage anymore if you use truelightning at highping when you do quick mousemovements i reckon.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-02-03, 22:40
1435 posts

Jan 2006
I don't understand any single word of what Peppe says + 'truelightning' is a bit misleading name, proper is 'fakeshaft' as in MQWCL because when turned on, the shaft which you see on the screen is just an illusion.
But there's no point in not allowing fakeshaft/truelightning nowadays because IIRC you can replace your lightning gun model with something that will have straight line going forward or you can use some ugly huge crosshair. Correct me if I'm wrong but this model replacement passes f_modified check.
2006-02-03, 22:58
1754 posts

Jan 2006
the model doesn't :/
so what you are saying is, if I have high ping and shaft with the "fakeshaft" I'm not really hitting the other player? then why does he bleed when I shoot him?!
2006-02-03, 23:51
810 posts

Jan 1970
ofcourse you can hit the other player when using truelightning 1. but as johnny_cz said it's a 'fakeshaft.' its stays at one place, but the actual shaft that hits, is the shaft as you see it without truelightning. that real (lagged) shaft is still there, you just dont see it move.
i guess that truelightning just disables the engine from receiving or ignoring server-sent data that tells the client where the shaft is on the server. so the client only displays the bolt model without being affected by movement calculations or something. i'm not sure if it exactly works like that 8)

however, i think cl_truelightning should be allowed. since its not really giving a hit advantage, but just plays more comfortable for some people.
2006-02-03, 23:52
810 posts

Jan 1970
ofcourse you can hit the other player when using truelightning 1. but as johnny_cz said it's a 'fakeshaft.' its stays at one place, but the actual shaft that hits, is the shaft as you see it without truelightning. that real (lagged) shaft is still there, you just dont see it move.
i guess that truelightning just disables the engine from receiving or ignoring server-sent data that tells the client where the shaft is on the server. so the client only displays the bolt model without being affected by movement calculations or something. i'm not sure if it exactly works like that 8)

however, i think cl_truelightning should be allowed. since its not really giving a hit advantage, but just plays more comfortable for some people.
2006-02-03, 23:56
810 posts

Jan 1970

2006-02-03, 23:56
810 posts

Jan 1970

2006-02-04, 00:16
1754 posts

Jan 2006
ok that made it clear
thanks vleesch, ppl like me! :/
2006-02-04, 00:44
108 posts

Jan 2006
took that many posts to make it stick eh? o_O
Spell "mogul," Bateman. How do you spell mogul? M-o-g-u-l. Mo-gul. Mog-ul. Ice, ghosts, aliens-
2006-02-04, 09:42
810 posts

Jan 1970

2006-02-04, 11:15
76 posts

Jan 2006
Vleesch, have you noticed that you posted the same post the fourth time now?
2006-02-04, 11:21
1754 posts

Jan 2006
it's that stupid error message, don't think vleesch know that your post shows anyway
plz back to topic
2006-02-04, 21:56
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
peppe - use cl_truelightning 0.5 isntead, dont use 1.

If you are using 0.5 it feels like you are shafting on a normal low ping.
2006-02-04, 23:28
1754 posts

Jan 2006
didn't know that was possible, thanks dirtbox
2006-02-05, 13:49
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
i've been experimenting and i think setting it to 0.2 is the best if you have a low ping
2006-02-05, 18:03
1754 posts

Jan 2006
sucks that ruleset smackdown doesn't allow cl_truelightning, maybe it's time to change that ruleset hmm?
2006-02-06, 01:13
447 posts

Jan 2006
Why change the ruleset if it doesn't really make a difference?
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-02-06, 08:37
810 posts

Jan 1970
hehe i'm sorry. stupid error i just clicked refresh a couple of times :oops:
2006-02-07, 11:17
66 posts

Jan 2006
I agree. It should be allowed. Since so many people say that it's just a bad thing and doesn't help it makes no sense disabling it. It looks and feel a lot better to use it.

To disable this one is about as useless as disabling autotook (now that teamplay macros can't be used in conjunction with "settings" for use with i.e. timers).
2006-02-07, 12:52
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
I agree. It should be allowed. Since so many people say that it's just a bad thing and doesn't help it makes no sense disabling it. It looks and feel a lot better to use it.

Thank you! just what I'm saying, if it doesn't help anyone why is it not allowed?
2006-02-07, 18:47
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
there has been a huge discussion for some years now about allowing or not fakeshaft. I say if its banned for so many years, why allow it now ? Let me say i was one of the main mans trying to admins allow it, because IT IS AN ADVANTAGE. trust me, i've been a hpb since 1997. what i was trying admins to understand those days is that allow it for >60ms players only. and why ? because in localhost frogbots i could do ~5% more lg than without it!

its an advantage both for lpbs and hpbs. allow it for hpbs? ive always heard NO to that question. so don't allow at all

i say NO. no point after 456495 years dealing with it
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-02-07, 18:57
5 posts

Feb 2006
Fucking noob refreshing idiots.

I agree with Mushi, it is an advantage to the people on higher ms. I've played him on a few maps with him using it and his shaft was instantly much better. It's influences, like most things, are probably dependant on the player.
2006-02-07, 19:41
188 posts

Jan 2006
mx
2006-02-08, 18:42
447 posts

Jan 2006
Maybe it's just placebo...
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-02-09, 17:48
626 posts

Jan 2006
i don't see one reason why it should be disabled, you don't get better lg with it, it looks nicer and make the gameplay more fun, but the "actual shaft" doesn't follow it, so,.. explain, why should it be disallowed ?
  66 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page