User panel stuff on forum
  143 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2007-07-28, 04:50
355 posts

Jun 2006
niomic wrote:
It's nice to play against ppl at your own level, but the truth is that you don't learn much from them and you could actually be learning to play "wrong" in a sense, just because you're winning against another rookie. Getting bitch slapped by far better and experienced players gives you a good understanding of what the game can be like and you can also get very valuable advice.

Agreed. I would say I have learned a lot more from games against KovaaK than games I have raped or won narrowly. When playing against a top tier opponent, they will abuse every mistake you make and as those mistakes become more apparent, you learn ways to correct them.
2007-07-28, 10:25
226 posts

Mar 2007
About the HUD thing.. In my point of view Niomic has a point there. There should be some different HUD-layout options in the client. In ezQuake there's "classic", "new" and "combined".. the difference between these layouts is not remarkable. I'd go as far as having even multiple HUD-icons to choose from.

Also, I noticed that (atleast in fQuake) the default config is unplayable. Why? In ALL of the modern games default config is somewhat playable, but in EzQuake you have Quakes default arrowkey controlled configs..

I know this is not ezQuake topic, but how in the hell can you choose which crosshair you'd like to use if you can't see them when choosing?
2007-07-28, 12:18
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
the deal with the default config has always bothered me too, but it's in the pak files, and if ezquake don't deliver a pak file with a default.cfg, it will use the original. But all this is not a problem with nQuake
2007-07-28, 12:27
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
Also, I noticed that (atleast in fQuake) the default config is unplayable. Why? In ALL of the modern games default config is somewhat playable, but in EzQuake you have Quakes default arrowkey controlled configs..

Use nquake ( http://nquake.sf.net )
2007-07-28, 12:27
284 posts

Oct 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
I know this is not ezQuake topic, but how in the hell can you choose which crosshair you'd like to use if you can't see them when choosing?

I think the system that Q4 (and many others) have for this is quite sufficient:

- Choose crosshair image from x amount 10-20 actually usable ones and show the crosshair next to the selection
- Choose crosshair size from three sizes small, medium, large - change affects the crosshair image from above
- Choose crosshair color from 8 basic colors - change affects the crosshair image from above
2007-07-28, 15:10
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
q3 got that too
2007-07-28, 15:28
1435 posts

Jan 2006
New FPS games have this "server skill" implemented and it's being used (not on all servers). If you say it wouldn't work, you should supply some arguments for it.
2007-07-28, 17:07
1026 posts

Feb 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:

this is not an issue.. if someone is stupid enough and can't even setup his controls then he has no long-term business in QW anyway.. good riddance

besides the menus are a lot more user-friendly now
god damn hippies >_<
2007-07-28, 18:19
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Defaults in ezQuake and nQuake has been changed to something very today-ish. (See line 568 and below)
2007-07-31, 14:49
284 posts

Oct 2006
Unreal wrote:
niomic wrote:
pleuraXeraphim wrote:
Also I guess its important that all new comers to the game are pointed in the right direction in order to get started.
The onus is on all current high skill players that if they want the game to survive that they help out new players and not just destroy their morale for their own benefits. Its in everyones interest to help the lower skill/new players in order to increase the players base. So let me win when I am playing okay

I assume that you were joking a bit at least?

What I want to say is: If new player is strong as a stone morally, has a talent for QW, is young and has a lot of free time, then the "rape newbie" studying method will make him good player. If he's not -- he'll drop QW silently.

Mostly I was commenting on the "let me win when I am playing okay". That's simply bullshit. Probably most of the players that played with me from #qwrookie play most of their games against other rookies, but if they play with me, it's a combination of rape, teaching, tweaking and some more rape.

And like you said, talent is needed to excel in anything. People can't assume that they will reach a certain level with x amount of training etc. And just maybe, the ferociousness of qw isn't for everyone

btw. ot. the level of noobness on some of the q4 demo servers I tried out just for fun while playing the Single Player campaign was pretty awesome I won 2/3 maps even though I could hardly see the players with my graphics settings and wasn't able to move well with q4's retarded movement. Just try jumping on some boxes coming from qw with q4 physics, it's really hard if you've got ppl gunning for you at the same time
2007-07-31, 19:43
1026 posts

Feb 2006
hehe.. i'm raging Q4 demo players all the time, but Q4 full-version players rage me back
god damn hippies >_<
2007-09-20, 13:55
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Ok some months have passed until a update.
There's some great news!

Where's what has been done until now

> #qwrookies - in one word: success! Besides #qwhelp, where noobs can get all the help they need, there's a channel where they actually can join and ask other new ppl to play

> FFA League - Thanks to Sassa and Molgrum (who stepped in when i couldnt), FTK, KTK, Ignition and the new 2on2 league have starting, all having rookies playing.

> Division rookies on EQL - This is even better comparing to what i've thought when i started this thread. 1tsinen had the GREAT idea of creating a forum thread asking newbies to sign up if they were interested in playing 4on4 in EQL. The result is Division rookies on EQL, with nearly 50 NEW players!! See http://wiki.qwdrama.com/Division_Rookies

> nQuake - This great qw package is all what rookies needed! simple, fast, just connect and play!

> rookies XS4ALL port not sure if is a success, if not, what's wrong? (see 2 posts below)

Here's what still needs to be done: (i've reread almost all posts and here are the results. reply if I missed something)

> IRC plugin link on qw.nu's homepage - A small image to connect to some web-irc-service. Because IRC IS important. and having a link on qw.nu would help alot. Like this: http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ircsensiblesoccerdece7.png - or this: http://www.quake-world.fr/index.php?irc
Zalon is working on this. updates?

> Video tutorial introducing qw and usual stuff to do after downloading nQuake. ie. connect to irc channels, visit qw.nu forum, qwdrama, eql, seeing demos, modify a ezquake cfg, watch a game via EZTV, how the community works, doing .qw etc

next steps?? whats your opinion?
> connect to IRC in ezQuake client?? ezq devs, whats your opinion?
<more>

Thoughts
In few words, this turned out to be excellent! We have new, happy players; we need to make sure they stay and continue to play! And remember - this is a contingous effort. This effort can never end!

There are some great ideas in this thread, good reads. thanks. Please continue contributing here.

Meanwhile, congrats to everyone who made this possible!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-09-20, 14:26
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Mushi wrote:
> rookies XS4ALL port -not sure if is a success, if not, what's wrong?

I'm not sure, but i don't think the rookie port is used that much besides when the rookies themselves tell people to join in #qwrookie. Sure, this is alright, but the purpose is a bit to make the server go around and actually generate more new players as they see players on the servers constantly, who are on their own level, right? I think the usual xs4all rookies who don't get that much on the regular port aren't that aware of the rookie port (i wonder how many of them are even on IRC or browsing this forum), or they simply prefer their good ol' server where they don't get as many frags.

The video tutorial idea probably needs loads of thought and editing, so it's good enough for people to actually watch. A simple boring tutorial video won't cut it as it's so easy to just close the thing down and never return again. It needs to be done with style. (not $$$ effects in the windows menues, but you know, clever and smooth stuff when it comes to the whole concept)
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-09-20, 14:34
569 posts

Feb 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
... I think the usual xs4all rookies who don't get that much on the regular port aren't that aware of the rookie port (i wonder how many of them are even on IRC or browsing this forum), or they simply prefer their good ol' server where they don't get as many frags.

I talked to a friend a few months back about games. He told me he now and then plays ffa on a dutch or Russian server. He was not familiar with qw.nu and did not use irc.
For client i think it was mqwcl. Point is that players not really that hardcore about the game play on these servers and i doubt there is an easy way, if you wanted to communicate with em.

So what you are saying is true.
2007-09-20, 14:56
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Ake:
regarding the Xs4all rookies server:
I agree and I think those are the main reasons. Imo one solution would be to change the normal xs4all MOTD to something refering the rookie's port. Something like:
"MOTD: rookie FFA server at quake.xs4all.nl:30000"

This way ppl who doesnt go to irc and doesnt browse qw.nu see the message when they connect to xs4all ffa server.

edit;
regarding the video: Yes it needs to be well planned. The main problem here is that someone with warm voice and nice english is still needed Once we get someone to speak in the video, we can do the planning. (i know we should plan first, but if we don't get anyone to speak planning is useless). My idea is to make several short videos, each one with its subject (ie: video1: IRC ; video2: adjusting your cfg; video3: configuring YOUR pc to play qw; etc). as its easier to make and easier for the n00b that has specific doubts (never joined irc for example)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-09-20, 15:15
129 posts

Mar 2007
I've occasionally been using the java irc client set up at irc.netsplit.de

Try this link: http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=QuakeNet&room=%23qwrookie&nick=

Said rookie enters their nick, clicks 'Start web applet' and lets the java thign run and tada, they're on irc.
2007-09-20, 16:11
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
yes, the irc is being taken care by Zalon
edit:
right now im more concerned about getting someone to speak in the video tutorial. and thinking of what should be done in the near future. Need some ideas!
2007-09-20, 18:26
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Implementing IRC support in ezQuake is not planned (that is, it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in doing it right now), however one thought:
I think it'd be nice to have closely inter-connected server browser and the IRC frontend and have some qw.pickup channel where it would automatically take you, making it much easier and quick to arrange games.
2007-09-20, 19:15
151 posts

Feb 2006
Well, there's really only one thing I'd want to do with IRC+EzQuake anyway. Would be sorta cool if there was a way to link server-stats from the server you're connected to with ezquake to your irc client (via a script picking up variables from ezquake, somehow). Like;

<dakoth> I'm playing QW @ 213.113.123.113:27500 - map: dm4 - players: 1/2

Not that that has much to do with the future of QW
2008-05-26, 12:54
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
one year after the start of this thread, we can see very positive changes. Nearly ALL the stuff and ideas we mentioned here are done. So, congrats to everyone who made it possible.

the Current status of qw is:
- a nicely done quake package, with a video in frontpage + links
- some leagues running, with rookies division.
- good websites (bets, gfx, forum, drama, wiki... see top bar (great idea)
- good rookie help

As we speak, irc is being implemented in the ezquake client, which is very good news!

What next?

We still need major advertising in non-qw sites. Since 2007 we got plenty of rookies - some stayed, some are gone. The only way to continue to get new players is by getting the leagues on the non-qw site's news.

Things i'm sure it would boost qw interest among other gamers is Dreamhack (great oportunity) and 1on1 tournament with entrance fee. Thats a chance of getting qw back on the spot. I will study the paypal scenario shortly. Then its all about coverage. For that, we need admins (hell i think running leagues lack admins also). So ill create a topic here on the forum where ppl can request admins for leagues/stuff.

What do you think? Do you have thoughts about how to get new players into qw?
2008-05-26, 13:03
1435 posts

Jan 2006
New tournament formats (one/two day instant events), "new" mods (CTF).
2008-05-26, 16:12
303 posts

Jun 2007
I think some CTF servers, and one, easy to install and use CTF package (maybe it is possible to make it integral part of nQuake, addon/plugin like frogbots, if not it can be standalone) would only help. CTF is one of best teamplay gametypes in terms of fun for pub servers. Instagib and Rocket Arena could attract some players too.

P.S. It is strange that there is still no fast-paced multiplayer fps like QW - 11 years old game...
2008-05-26, 16:21
715 posts

May 2006
How about a summer Ignition? Anyone interested to admin (I can)?
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2008-05-27, 10:19
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Herb wrote:
I think some CTF servers, and one, easy to install and use CTF package ...

Its already done, i made a simple starter pack with everything needed to play CTF (eyecandy included) but its no longer available in shubhub. i need to upload it again. here's what i posted in the ctf section of this forum.

molgrum wrote:
How about a summer Ignition? Anyone interested to admin (I can)?

I would prefer to see Kenya tournaments in the summer. it allows more freedom to the players, perfect for summer time.

Personally i think CA (clan arena) is fun for a change. the "new" instagib is very funny too
2008-05-30, 14:11
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
mushi wrote:
Herb wrote:
I think some CTF servers, and one, easy to install and use CTF package ...

Its already done, i made a simple starter pack with everything needed to play CTF (eyecandy included) but its no longer available in shubhub. i need to upload it again. here's what i posted in the ctf section of this forum.

I've uploaded the ctf starter pack again. get it here!
2008-06-11, 22:00
5 posts

Jun 2008
QW is pretty dead, there's not too much we can do to really boost its popularity and players income. We can stay doing our small contributions, but it won't help too much

The best possibility i see was if John Carmack accepted to launch a kinda Quake5, which is not really a Quake5 but a disguised QuakeWorld. It would have the same physics, same weapons, same everything (maybe different maps, maximum i can tolerate ), with next-gen graphics, so all the FPS Scene would put his eyes in the game, and it would shine once again

Besides that, only real money could put QuakeWorld on the road again. Real promoting and real money champioships. But its hard if the community dont want to pay even a $10 fee.

If i become millionare, i swear to spend atleast half my richness promoting Quake. You guys better be alive and health until there
2008-06-12, 07:42
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Why do you think it's dead? There's one qw game started every minute.
2008-06-12, 10:28
28 posts

Mar 2008
QW is not dead, and there will have still new players for many years cause its a light and good game (and also a legendary game ?). But I don't think it will be on the road again. Keep it well-looking, easy to install and use, easy to manage server, and it will survive for a while imo.
2008-06-12, 12:39
705 posts

Feb 2006
ya, looking forward for Nserver =) hopefully done after this summer or mid-summer
2008-06-12, 15:06
805 posts

Mar 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Why do you think it's dead? There's one qw game started every minute.

Cause he's banned from all server in Brazil!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
  143 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page