886 posts

Jan 2006
broken!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2007-01-30, 16:13
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Quote:
Feel like spreading some freedom to the victims of MS?

that's really stupid. the Linux promoters should focus on what Linux has to offer, because quite frankly Windows XP +SP2 is one very solid OS. i crashed more Linux installations than XP's.
they should stop the absurd and misinformative bashing if they care to be taken serious.

also i recommend Linux newbies not to install this Debian distro right away and wait for the win32 Ubuntu installer which is very safe:
- doesn't need repartitioning because it installs itself in a few large files on your existing NTFS hard drive
- allows dual boot without interfering with MBR (so there's no risk of fucking shit up)
- can be uninstalled from within WinXP from Add/Remove programs (or manually by deleting those few big Ubuntu files it installs itself in)
god damn hippies >_<
2007-01-30, 16:43
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Aquashark wrote:
that's really stupid. the Linux promoters should focus on what Linux has to offer, because quite frankly Windows XP +SP2 is one very solid OS. i crashed more Linux installations than XP's.
they should stop the absurd and misinformative bashing if they care to be taken serious.

Totally seconded.
2007-01-30, 17:03
705 posts

Feb 2006
bps: whats broken, the installer/site/whatever ?

and i do agre to what aquashark has to say to some degre, but its more fun to bash it.
i dont have the energy anymore to praise it more than occasionally on irc, for e.x i ask windows users how they deal with x and y and z(windows problems that arent in linux). i just use it cause its the best for me and thats it.
peace.
2007-01-30, 17:37
1026 posts

Feb 2006
i wasn't referring to you for bashing M$
i was referring to those with the Debian installer site.
you can bash M$ all you want i don't mind. you don't run a site promoting Linux the wrong way

i can hardly wait for the Ubuntu proper installer on a NTFS hard drive.
i tested it along with the Beryl desktop manager and i was literally stunned.. and not just by the mindless eyecandy, but by the usability of the desktop interface!

when returning from Ubuntu into WinXP i felt a big difference, like going back to Win 3.1 from Win98
Ubuntu will have the Beryl desktop manager installed by default in its next version.

here's a screenshot i took with the 3D Desktop Cube: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/903/screenshot2cv3.png
god damn hippies >_<
2007-01-30, 18:32
705 posts

Feb 2006
btw! it is better watched in video form.
http://www.go-compiz.org/index.php?title=Video
and i dont think it will be on by default, just if your card supports if
( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AcceleratedX )
2007-01-30, 18:45
1026 posts

Feb 2006
nVidia card he, so no future problems ^_^
god damn hippies >_<
2007-01-30, 19:04
1100 posts

Jan 2006
I find it weird how Linux users go all "OMGHAX" about some utterly useless 3d desktop stuff. What's the great thing about it?
2007-01-30, 21:18
1026 posts

Feb 2006
cause it's not entirely that useless
you have to use it to believe it

some random examples:
- the window picker: you have a shitload of windows spanning over 3 desktops and you're lazy to search for the one you want? you press a hotkey and *bam* windows resize to be all viewable with live previews of what's going on. you click on the previewed window you're after and it steps up in front while the rest of the windows go back to their original arrangement (while looking cool in the process )

- you can assign a part of the screen with a certain interface task. like placing your mouse cursor in the lower left corner of the screen you could minimize all windows, or change desktop viewport, or cascade windows, or something

- ALT+mwheelup/mwheeldown increases/decreases transparency of current window, or you could assign varying transparancy levels for individual programs. you might not want that Terminal to be pitch black and have to switch over to documentation each time you're looking for something.. you can look right through it
god damn hippies >_<
2007-01-30, 21:36
637 posts

Jan 2006
Spirit wrote:
Aquashark wrote:

Totally seconded.

Thirded, in fact, I got my uptime record on a Windows box, not on a Slackware Linux
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-01-31, 14:15
693 posts

Jan 2006
Aquashark wrote:
cause it's not entirely that useless
you have to use it to believe it

some random examples:
- the window picker: you have a shitload of windows spanning over 3 desktops and you're lazy to search for the one you want? you press a hotkey and *bam* windows resize to be all viewable with live previews of what's going on. you click on the previewed window you're after and it steps up in front while the rest of the windows go back to their original arrangement (while looking cool in the process )

- you can assign a part of the screen with a certain interface task. like placing your mouse cursor in the lower left corner of the screen you could minimize all windows, or change desktop viewport, or cascade windows, or something

- ALT+mwheelup/mwheeldown increases/decreases transparency of current window, or you could assign varying transparancy levels for individual programs. you might not want that Terminal to be pitch black and have to switch over to documentation each time you're looking for something.. you can look right through it

Wow someone's been using OS X
2007-01-31, 18:01
1026 posts

Feb 2006
never!!
i don't know why but i hate mac & apple in all their glory
+ a Mac computer costs a lot of money
+ iTunes = worst popular program ever
god damn hippies >_<
2007-01-31, 19:38
1026 posts

Feb 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6BiKnLzck&NR
god damn hippies >_<
2007-02-01, 08:05
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Aquashark wrote:
+ iTunes = worst popular program ever

word! it is! more sucky mac stuff: quicktime, screen-settings(they are weird) and all the other i-programs..
what's good on a mac: final cut, adobe progs, camino/safari
2007-03-26, 17:34
705 posts

Feb 2006
what's good on a mac: decent hardware (it works 100% on linux), nice design.
what's sucks on a mac: you have to buy the operating system.
2007-03-26, 20:31
1754 posts

Jan 2006
no you don't...
  17 posts on 1 page  1