User panel stuff on forum
  142 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2007-01-16, 13:54
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I don't think fakeshaft will have any MAJOR benefits for most players, other than the fact that it LOOKS GOOD, which imo is very nice. It's not even near the advantage you get by using for example kfjump. You still have to aim, damnit!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-01-16, 14:23
135 posts

Jan 2006
But there are still people who will just vote against fakeshaft cause they think it's cheat/improves lg% too much/etc. and they don't want to lose vs more people vs they already do. The same was with independent physics.
2007-01-16, 14:52
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
ok ppl, there has been sooo much discution about this for many years. lets point the advantages and disavantages: help me here

Advantages:
- looks and feels better, more natural (especially on +39ms)
- actually can improve lg aim on higher ms, BECAUSE it eliminates multiple beams on screen. the player can focus better on the crosshair
- better for newbs who aren't used to regular shafting

Dissavantages:
- can't tell its a real disavantage, as most ppl knows how to aim with shaft nowadays: gives an extra advantage to lower ms players when playing vs higher ms

my hpb pov^^ feel free to add stuff
bottom line: go go fakeshaft!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-01-16, 15:56
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
mushi wrote:
ok ppl, there has been sooo much discution about this for many years. lets point the advantages and disavantages: help me here

Advantages:
- looks and feels better, more natural (especially on +39ms)
- actually can improve lg aim on higher ms, BECAUSE it eliminates multiple beams on screen. the player can focus better on the crosshair
- better for newbs who aren't used to regular shafting

Dissavantages:
- can't tell its a real disavantage, as most ppl knows how to aim with shaft nowadays: gives an extra advantage to lower ms players when playing vs higher ms

my hpb pov^^ feel free to add stuff
bottom line: go go fakeshaft!

This has been thrown out there often enough now that I have to challenge it.
Quote:

What multiple beams are you talking about? There is always 1 (one) beam on the screen at any given time. If you want to ban fakeshaft because it keeps the beam centered, then Please Also Ban Crosshairs.

(the "better for newbs" argument rests on the same thing. so: Please Also Ban Crosshairs)

There are more disadvantages: one really big one is, the higher your ping gets, and/or the more your opponent dodges, well, then the more uncertainty you have about where your real shaft beam is really at!

Its eyecandy. Its not a cheat. It doesnt help and it doesnt hurt anymore than an rocket exploding in your face and temporarily blinding you helps or hurts. People have been removing that explosion sprite for years now with qizmo and so on, but noone whine about that.

With fakeshaft, the illusion that you have 0ms shaft is so powerful, that it makes people think it improves your aim. It doesnt! It will only improve your aim vs a newb who does not dodge], but then so will not using fakeshaft, and using a custom crosshair thats just stretched out to the bottom of your screen.
2007-01-16, 17:16
355 posts

Jun 2006
From my understanding of fakeshaft, it does not improve your LG at all. As Phil said, it's eye candy. It might change a player's mindset; with it on, one might have a steadier LG as he or she tries to keep it on the enemy at all times.
2007-01-16, 17:47
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Empezar wrote:
you think the shaft is good as it is because you don't shaft better with fakeshaft and don't want anyone else to improve their shaft with fakeshaft while you will be left there with an unimproved shaft, phew!

fakeshaft is undoubtedly a great improvement to the shaft which will give noobs a better first impression of quakeworld, and if some people gets an improved shaft, who cares? if 1 more noob stays to play quakeworld because of the fakeshaft, it's totally worth it. if someone leaves because fakeshaft is allowed? we're better off without those conservative whiners anyway.

WORD!
and btw, in the q3-community there is no whine about this, since fakeshaft is just adjusting your quake the way YOU want it
2007-01-16, 18:00
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Peppe wrote:
and btw, in the q3-community there is no whine about this, since fakeshaft is just adjusting your quake the way YOU want it

Not that i don't agree with you. However, some points to be made about Q3 is that the shaft isn't as powerful there as in QW. It has almost none knockback and doesn't deal as much damage/cell. But come to think about it, if it doesn't deal as much damage/cell you need to be even more accurate with it, and the armor isn't as strong in Q3 either...

Imo it just means that more people would be able to play on more fair conditions. The difference between high ping and lower ping is lowered. It might even lead to less ping whine?
2007-01-16, 21:23
163 posts

Jan 2006
myself wrote:
I don’t think that fakeshaft will improve anyones aim that much. It might make it easier for people playing on an unstable connection to get a better lg, as it will remove the ‘jumpy’ feeling of an jumpy ping.
http://www.aimbot.se/pic/dopefish_anim.gif
2007-01-17, 14:47
637 posts

Jan 2006
Just turn it on, Jesus, it significantly lowers your LG aim so I don't see any reason to block it.

If noobs want to play even worse, let them do so
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-01-17, 20:42
386 posts

Apr 2006
PlaZmaZ wrote:
Pretty sure you mean sarcasm instead of irony

Sarcasm is a form of irony, so he was right.
2007-01-17, 22:32
364 posts

Oct 2006
noobs
2007-01-18, 10:55
100 posts

Feb 2006
"There are more disadvantages: one really big one is, the higher your ping gets, and/or the more your opponent dodges, well, then the more uncertainty you have about where your real shaft beam is really at!"
True! True! True!

thats why you cant use this feature with high ping and it will not improve your shaftaim with high-ping
2007-01-18, 15:56
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
knast wrote:
"There are more disadvantages: one really big one is, the higher your ping gets, and/or the more your opponent dodges, well, then the more uncertainty you have about where your real shaft beam is really at!"
True! True! True!

thats why you cant use this feature with high ping and it will not improve your shaftaim with high-ping

The question is, why ban it alltogether.

Turning off your monitor will not improve your shaftaim, and is generally a bad thing. But why is that not banned? Why isnt playing with keyboard banned? Etc.
2007-01-18, 16:00
1754 posts

Jan 2006
f_checkmonitorstatus
!phil: on

cheats!
no seriously that's true
have the NQR-crew any opinion or shoutout to make that they _will_ allow it?
2007-01-18, 16:14
355 posts

Jun 2006
Basically, this whole thread in a nutshell: Phil's logic > *
2007-01-18, 16:44
357 posts

Mar 2006
Instead of banning fakeshaft why not force an average. I mean, instead of banning max_fps, 72fps became the default. Why not limit cl_truelightning to 0.5 (50%)
2007-01-18, 19:03
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
PlaZmaZ wrote:
Basically, this whole thread in a nutshell: Phil's logic > *

Ehehe, sorry if I come off that way :>
2007-01-18, 19:04
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
SputnikUtah wrote:
Instead of banning fakeshaft why not force an average. I mean, instead of banning max_fps, 72fps became the default. Why not limit cl_truelightning to 0.5 (50%)

Actually we now have unlimited FPS thanks to allowed indep physics. But this kind of analogy is very dangerous (forcing an average). What if you apply it to pings?
2007-01-19, 04:27
116 posts

Mar 2006
actually its locked to 77 fps.
2007-01-19, 05:47
9 posts

Jan 2006
independent physics in ezquake is client side not server side where fps are locked at 77
2007-01-19, 05:55
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
played with fakeshaft a bit today in some povs!

Think its totally cheat and will fight against it as hard as I can.

it makes you shaft very easy and takes the QW spirit away.. why not then change bunnyjumps to the way PK has it, that u don't even need to strafe!!!
2007-01-19, 07:39
1026 posts

Feb 2006
fakeshaft doesn't change anything in the mechanics of the game.. FAKEshaft, see?
it only changes the display of the stupid beam (eyecandy setting)..

let's ban custom crosshairs and gamma cvars too.. they help people aim better ffs

as if fakeshaft will make any difference.. everybody can use it, so the shaft of good players will "improve" along with others => the accuracy gap will always be there

better yet let's force /cl_placebo_effect 0 & /cl_nazi 0
over and out
god damn hippies >_<
2007-01-19, 08:10
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Can someone please make me a "fakeshaft crosshair" so that i can compare truelightning to such a crosshair? Thanks in advance.
2007-01-19, 08:24
357 posts

Mar 2006
Quote:
independent physics in ezquake is client side not server side..

same as the fakeshaft its client side. Its just without the ping delay.
I think the "true" shaft experience is singleplayer style, ie no lag. You wouldn't want nails or shotgun to behave differently from singleplayer to online, then why should the shaft be subject to this flaw? Just because we have been playing lagged shaft online for 10 years means that it shouldn't change??
2007-01-19, 10:33
1435 posts

Jan 2006
sassa wrote:
why not then change bunnyjumps to the way PK has it, that u don't even need to strafe!!!

Because that's completely different thing? FFS Sassa, grow up.
2007-01-19, 11:15
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Can someone please make me a "fakeshaft crosshair" so that i can compare truelightning to such a crosshair? Thanks in advance.

eh, fakeshaft crosshair what is that?
2007-01-19, 13:20
805 posts

Mar 2006
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4607/shaftcrossix0.jpg
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2007-01-20, 12:21
135 posts

Jan 2006
sassa wrote:

it makes you shaft very easy and takes the QW spirit away..

ROTFL, seriously
2007-01-20, 13:58
637 posts

Jan 2006
indeed, one of the most narrow minded comments
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-01-22, 21:48
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
sassa wrote:

it makes you shaft very easy and takes the QW spirit away.. why not then change bunnyjumps to the way PK has it, that u don't even need to strafe!!!

Well sassa, you are an influential person in this community, so lets be reasonable.

This is the whole point of this thread. Some people say that fakeshaft is a cheat, and I would like to know *why*. You saying "Think its totally cheat and will fight against it" is really a slap at me because you didnt read at all anything I said. (Ok maybe not, we all know how big your attention span is so dont take that personally)

I said please please please give a reason why you say so.

Oh and if you saw a noticable improvement in your shaft, I would like you to back this up. Here is a good test: play 10 povdmm4s vs a div1 (edit: div2 wont do, you can already outshaft interceptor!) player, alternating each pov -- one fakeshaft one without fakeshaft. Or play 5 with fakeshaft (to get used to it) and five without.

Of course demos, etc wont really matter, so you can just upload screenies (edit: of ktpro LG% printout, so that we at least know you did play 10 povs). We will take your word for it. If there is really a noticable improvement, so be it.
  142 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page