User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  75hz problem
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2006-11-08, 00:04
61 posts

Jan 2006
So I have problems with 75hz... its not smooth. 60hz works fine but then mouse feels kind of... shit
Im not sure but if I remember right I had the same problem with crt monitor too.
Is there any cmdline or other cmds that i should use.

I have nvidia and TFT...
and yes I have tried independentphysics too
2007-01-03, 09:01
87 posts

Oct 2006
Can you describe "not smooth" a bit closer? Is it a kind of 'ghosting' or blurry effect, or are movements
choppy or perhaps you see horizontal 'tearing' lines going across the screen?

/PaRa
2007-01-03, 17:04
151 posts

Feb 2006
if you are using ezquake version higher than 1517 then independant physics is enabled as default and you need to use a cmdline setting to disable. So just double check that it isnt independant physics causing it by using the cmdline setting and running it then.

I may be teaching grandma to suck eggs here but a change like that is easily overlooked.
bd
2007-01-03, 21:06
22 posts

Feb 2006
As stated above, the latest version of ezQuake enables independent physics by default.
If you want solid, utterly smooth rendering, you'd better disable it.
Whilst it works, it's generally not as smooth as a conventional vsync'ed display unless you're careful about picking the values for cl_physfps and vid_displayfrequency so physfps is a submultiple of the refresh rate, eg 120 refresh, physfps 60 or physfps 40.
But, by doing that, you're achieving rendering fluidity at the expense of gamestate updates, Unless of course, your display is capable of refreshing at 144 or 154Hz.
Setting physfps and refresh to the same value just don't give smooth rendering.

Doing it the conventional way:
"+set cl_independentphysics 0" on the command line.

choose your display resolution on the command line.
"vid_vsync 1" at the console/in your cfg file.
Set the display frequency to the nearest valid refresh rate _below_ the update rate of the server you're joining.
eg for a default qw server (72pps), set vid_displayfrequency to 70Hz
eg for a typical qw server (77pps), set vid_displayfrequency to 75Hz

If running a server locally and have a monitor which can do 100, 120, 144Hz at your preferred resolution, and you're not too bothered about the slight change in game physics at higher update rates try:
serverinfo maxfps 120
vid_displayfrequency 120

Oddly, you can set the displayfrequency to the same figure as the server update rate at higher values like 120 or 100 without getting jitter/stutter, whereas at lower values like 77 its quite noticeablely juddery and you have to drop it to the next valid value down.

Also ... ezQuake gripes
Someone please make it save/load the current config on startup/exit, eg to ezquake/config.cfg.
This doesnt preclude the cfg_save/cfg_load feature (that should always override whatever is in any config.cfg), it just means that some newbie who doesnt read documentation (like most) doesnt spend half an hour setting up controls, tinkering with visuals etc, only to find that when he quits and then restarts all his changes have been lost.

Pickup flashes now hurt rendered fps badly. If vsync is enabled and you pick something up, it loses sync. Even in a situation where if vsync were off, the rendered framerate would be many times that of the displayrefresh. Similar results on both an 800MHz PIII (GF2) and a 2.8GHz Opteron (7800GT).

First startup after clean install. Go straight to options, attempt to assign mouse buttons. They don't respond ?!
At least, not initially anyway. Start a local server or SP game, and suddenly you can assign mouse buttons ?!

Cut the sound volume/system on level changes. On recent versions of ezquake the last sound effect played immediately beforehand loops for the next couple of seconds until the level finishes loading.
2007-01-03, 21:14
151 posts

Feb 2006
well, i have a crt which can only render 75hz above 1280x1024, so vsync sucks. Indpependant physics all the way. I run the stated res at 85hz atm and with physfps at 77, maxfps at 1000 (which i get stable) and it feels ace. If you have a monitor able to render faster hz then great, but this is a 75hz probel thread
bd
2007-01-03, 21:43
22 posts

Feb 2006
Running un-synced is the easiest way to get a pretty decent, reasonably stutter free display. Tearing isn't usually too objectionable if you're rendering at significantly higher rates than your refresh, and not near to any multiple of that refresh rate.

For visual fluidity though, synced is still much smoother
2007-01-03, 21:45
151 posts

Feb 2006
when i get myself a decent crt monitor i will probably run synced for other games, but i like 400+ fps in qw cos it feels very nice. So when i get one ill try out ur stuff in the above post of yours
bd
2007-01-22, 18:54
11 posts

Jan 2006
i have the same problem as diki. i have a HP LP 2065, i use fuhq, vid_vsync 1. when i set my monitor to 60hz then the picture is fine, but my mx500 feels terribly lagged. i tried povdmm4 vs a frogbot and i just couldnt make the crosshair point where i wanted, it felt like it was floating around like if it was drugged . anyway, when i set the tft to 70,72,75,85 hz then its choppy like a slideshow, as if it was like 5fps or sth. any suggestions?

my cmd line is fuhquake-gl.exe -ruleset smackdown -norjscripts -m_mwhook -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32 -particles 0 -zone 4096 -condebug -mem 64 -democache 32768 -conwidth 320 +set vid_displayfrequency XX +cfg_load ; (XX = 60-85)
2008-05-09, 11:08
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I'm getting frustrated. Since i've bought this monitor (hp w2207 - 22'' tft) i get alot of tearing.

I've tried several combinations of resolutions, several commands, win drivers definitions, etc. I *always* get tearing.
im sure its not hardware, nor software. The mouse feels ok (there's some "new" cool ezq commands: have u tried in_mouse 3, in_m_os_parameters 3, in_restart? feels nice)

my system:
abit nf7, amd athlon xp2600+, 1gb ram (2x512 kingston value), 2 hdds, gforce 7600gs agp
NGO nvidia drivers with triple buffering, performance preset.
ezq 1.9 stable, windows xp sp3

test:
The test i do to see if qw is smooth or not is on dm3, jumping on pent area. i notice lots of tearing on the mh wall for example.

I ask the experts to post somewhere a complete, compreensive and up-to-date list of ezq variables that messes with input lag, tearing, etc. The variables that might help qw having a better feeling. just a list of the commands, so ppl can play with values and figure the best combination for them.
ie: cl_nolerp, vid_vsync, etc.
It already exists? where?

same for mouse settings would be nice also.

I ask this because there's an increasing amount of commands and not all ppl read the changelog. It would be nice to have these important commands somewhere, organized and updated.
To get qw smooth is a battle for everyone who own tft monitors and there's no correct or right settings for everyone.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
  9 posts on 1 page  1