News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
damn, this is good
2007-03-08, 20:39
364 posts

Oct 2006
Zalon wrote:
well, we could just start with the dmX maps and those few episode maps used in multiplayer, there is enough textures for those

No you can't, there's not a single map for which we have a complete set of textures. And we don't want maps with white patches, do we?

We could build a servers-only pack without any textures at all, but I don't think it's worth the trouble. I'd just wait for QRP to finish the few remaining textures and build a single pack usable both on the client on the server.
2007-03-08, 21:22
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
We don't? i got alot of textures for dmX maps, i don't see any textures missing
2007-03-08, 21:34
364 posts

Oct 2006
Zalon wrote:
We don't? i got alot of textures for dmX maps, i don't see any textures missing

You don't see missing textures because when an external texture is missing, the engine uses the low-res one from the .bsp and it's not noticeable unless you look closely, and you need to know where to look.

Oh, just take the sky textures, the classic ones, not the skyboxes. They're all from the bsps.
2007-03-09, 09:05
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Yea Tonik! qrp for the win, as long as the mp-maps are available fquake wins
2007-03-12, 10:57
1011 posts

Feb 2006
Tonik wrote:
- Create a tool to import a bunch of tga's into a .wad (or update textures in a .bsp). Alternatively, spend an hour manually downsampling textures, converting to pcx and importing into adQedit.

This should be easy to automate

I had some old pcx2wad source, e-mailed it to your zquake gmail.com e-mail addy

The one thing that needs to be done is to convert the .tga images to .pcx (either using imagemagick `convert file.tga file.pcx` or by adding tga.c and reading routines from zquake to the pcx2wad source), apply the quake indexed .pal to the image (might be possible with imagemagick -map command [1] but not sure this retains the ordering of the palette which is important for quake - otherwise need to write some small code to do this) and then run pcx2wad to create our GPL wad

[1] http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/quantize/#map
2007-03-12, 19:10
364 posts

Oct 2006
Thanks for the source, oldman. I hacked on it a bit, added tga support and it's mostly functional now.

Here's a map I compiled from GPL .map sources and a wad converted from QRP's textures: dm6_gpl_test.bsp. Only the sky texture is missing.
2007-03-12, 19:38
59 posts

Mar 2006
Tonik wrote:
Thanks for the source, oldman. I hacked on it a bit, added tga support and it's mostly functional now.

Here's a map I compiled from GPL .map sources and a wad converted from QRP's textures: dm6_gpl_test.bsp. Only the sky texture is missing.

I wanted to try the map but Fuhquake closed with an unspecific error message.
2007-03-12, 19:41
230 posts

Jan 2006
Map crashed ezquake but joequake worked fine!

Map looks ok to me.
Only one texture that looked strange though.
metal4_4, path between mega and center, has some reddish color that looked out of place.
Where did that come from?

FYI have finished quite a lot of qrp-textures lately so the end is near or at least nearer
2007-03-12, 20:21
364 posts

Oct 2006
Moon[Drunk wrote:
']FYI have finished quite a lot of qrp-textures lately so the end is near or at least nearer

Great!
2007-03-12, 20:53
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
that is awesome news moon[Drunk], keep it up boi!
2007-03-12, 21:34
1026 posts

Feb 2006
dm6_gpl_test works in ZQuake..
and also the tube textures has some red artifacts

looks promising
keep it up
god damn hippies >_<
2007-03-13, 03:20
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
Don't be so happy Moon, there is always more to be done

p.s. <3
2007-03-13, 09:39
1011 posts

Feb 2006
works nicely in svn build of zquake
2007-03-13, 10:00
1011 posts

Feb 2006
Tonik wrote:
- Do we want solid skies? (Tonik thinks yes, keep everything as it was)

I suppose this effects gameplay as rockets explode against the sky instead of just flying off, its a shame to keep them solid when its just an old qbsp limitation though

Tonik wrote:
- Do we want any fixes to the maps? Is there anything to fix?

Some of the architectural mistakes could be smoothed out in the .map, or is this something that would be fixed by a modern qbsp?
e.g. http://www.inside3d.com/qip/q1/gfx/mistake_dm3.jpg http://www.inside3d.com/qip/q1/gfx/mistake_dm3c.jpg

p.s. is there any advantage(s) to using a modern qbsp/light/vis implementation to compile the .bsp? e.g., hbsp2 (svn://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/hmap2/)
2007-03-13, 15:51
364 posts

Oct 2006
oldman wrote:
Some of the architectural mistakes could be smoothed out in the .map, or is this something that would be fixed by a modern qbsp?

I don't mind fixing the dm3 hill texture issue (althogh it's a very minor issue since that area is unlit most of the time), but I'm against changing anything that affects physics (e.g. the pent area bug). Remember, most people will still play the non-GPL version anyway. So I'd prefer to keep the maps as close to the original as possible rather than try to make them better.

oldman wrote:
p.s. is there any advantage(s) to using a modern qbsp/light/vis implementation to compile the .bsp? e.g., hbsp2 (svn://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/hmap2/)

I know one bug in original qbsp: ambient sound levels are the same volume for any non-silent channels (sky, water, ???, ???) in a given leaf (I'm not aware of any map where this is a problem though). Otherwise new compilers produce largely the same result. Some very minor poly/leaf count optimization maybe.

I'm going to compile the maps with hmap2, just patch it for old sky behaviour first.
2007-04-02, 10:31
252 posts

Dec 2006
hmmmmm any idea why it crashes?
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
  47 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page