Hello to fellow Quakers! I would like to make public the news that might have already leaked to some of you.
As most of you have noticed, I wasn't doing any activities in the ezQuake project or any other QuakeWorld project for quite some time now, and I don't plan to come back any time soon, most probably ever. But, because I love ezQuake and all the time I have spent on it, I would like to hand over the project to those who are still interested in actively contributing to it, so that the project continues to thrive, or at least still actively follows the community needs.
In the last months of 2012 I had a couple of discussions with other members of the development part of the QW community about what should happen with the ezQuake project in the future. We have come to a point where we need to decide, and we need some feedback from the community, mostly from the people who are still interested in participating in the development.
There are a couple of options in what to do at this point:
- Close it all down, let other people create their own clone with different name
- Hand over the project to some of the few remaining developers so that it continues the way it is
- Make a rather radical move, start fresh
None of these options are ideal, none of them would work without some sweat and pain. But we need to choose one of them.
Let me digress here a little. The problem of the future of the client development is, in my opinion, tightly connected to some other problems.
1. The lack of new players leads to lack of new developers. The decline in number of players leads to decline in number of developers. If you are upset that development is stalled, but you know nothing about coding, help attract fresh blood. New players means new developers.
2. In the past there were lots of opportunities in the QuakeWorld scene to contribute for a single person. You were excited about coding something or creating a website? You could do it all on your own. Nowadays this perhaps is not so true. To create some new and original contribution, some project that would bring something really new and refreshing to the game, you would need to cooperate with other people. For example, to integrate the game with the web, you need to have a web team and the game-client team. Cooperating with somebody on projects you do in your free time is not much fun, as you have to make some compromises, plan things, etc.
3. The client development itself is not the main thing that needs to be done or kept alive to keep the game alive anymore. The client is, in my opinion, "good enough". The most pressing problem nowadays is the stable decline in number of active players. That is much more pressing problem for QW than the client development.
Many more words could be said here, but I would like to let the community talk here. I welcome any sort of feedback. If you are somebody who would be interested in participating in the client development, you are especially welcomed to share your opinions.