User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-04-26, 13:04
5 posts

Apr 2011
Hi guys, now that Easter is behind me, I decided to push this announcement even further. I decided - after some discussion with some fellow Quakers - to host the new Quake Expo 2011 on http://expo2011.quakewiki.net/

I have a booth system built from scratch. It doesn't have ads, it will not have ads, it's completely transparent and it's open for registration!

I'll make this announcement on several other forums, I'll check them once a day. Any question you might have is welcome.

Get your booth babes ready!
QuakeWiki.net - Mods repository, Rogue and Quake Expo 2011!
2011-04-26, 13:19
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Quake Expo 2011 wrote:
Quake Expo 2011 will be held June 19-25, 2011! Get your booths ready!

In the middle of summer!

Nice initiative though, if only i had the dedication to throw something together myself sometime...

Oh and Welcome to the QuakeWorld.nu forum, Chip!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-04-26, 13:34
5 posts

Apr 2011
Thanks!

"This year is Quake's 15th birthday, so obviously a QExpo has to be happening. "

"Quake is a first-person shooter video game that was released by id Software on June 22, 1996."

"June 22 is the shareware release, granted the shareware is excellent, so that is a perfectly valid one. QExpo06 was centered around July 22 which was the registered release."

That's the reason!
2011-04-26, 13:50
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Hey Chip, nice work. I added a booth, but the date didn't get set right (its 1969 now even though it was entered as a 2011 date) and when adding a booth, the insert statement was visible, not sure if you want that or if you're just testing stuff. Other than that it looks like it works nicely
2011-04-26, 14:12
5 posts

Apr 2011
!phil wrote:
Hey Chip, nice work. I added a booth, but the date didn't get set right (its 1969 now even though it was entered as a 2011 date) and when adding a booth, the insert statement was visible, not sure if you want that or if you're just testing stuff. Other than that it looks like it works nicely

Working on it. Both your reported bugs are now fixed.

Thanks for registering!
2011-04-26, 19:08
212 posts

Apr 2006
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing a lot of interesting booths.

As far as I remember the host of the previous Qexpo wasn't too happy with the outcome/activity. Let's hope there's still some blood in this old game.
2011-04-26, 21:53
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Great initiative, I was wondering why there was no quake expo last year. I'm guessing that it will like recent editions, be open for all of the quake communities?
2011-04-27, 09:23
5 posts

Apr 2011
It's open for all Quake communities/versions.
2011-05-19, 21:26
5 posts

Apr 2011
Any news guys? Anyone interested?

Some bugs have been fixed and we have so far 39 members! That's something! But not enough!
2011-06-07, 04:07
182 posts

Mar 2006
@ The Quakeworld guys ... yeah, yeah I'm NetQuakey ... whatever

Guys this could be the last Quake Expo as we've known it. If you are old school, you know how much the landscape has changed in the recent years.

If you have something really cool that you think is important, whether a completed work or something in your head or even a story of your perception of what Quakeworld means to you or your personal observation, please consider participating in Quake Expo.

While the original Quake is a large landscape consisting of a lot of different points of view, even as a NetQuaker I am keenly aware of the rich contributions and advancements that Quakeworld has contributed to the community at large and have always thought the diehard open-source attitude was that of a model community that should be emulated.

Like I said, this might in some ways be a "Last Hurrah" of the traditional type of Quake Expos we have experienced in the past, whether or not you are an immediately recognized name like Tonik, Oldman, Sassa, Zalon, Pez, Tiddles the Mapper, Ruohis, Cokeman, etc. or someone who has great contributions but isn't quite as known --- please consider setting up a booth at Quake Expo.

I think as the collective community ages, that it will be more challenging to set up Quake Expos that have old school flavor.

It doesn't take a mod, an engine or something like that to participate in Quake Expo, it can be something like a video, an interview, your perspective to why Quakeworld is important to you or how modern games lack something that Quakeworld has, it can be fan fiction or your opinion of Quakeworld game-style changes over the years.

Quake Expo 2011 is, like any history marker, a chance to add your thoughts/works/mindset into the history books.
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
  10 posts on 1 page  1