User panel stuff on forum
  45 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2006-08-25, 21:58
40 posts

Feb 2006
//Off Topic

dues: you're looking at least €500,000 for a house located in a 30 mile radius of Dublin city. 2 bedrooms etc! In most night clubs a bottle of WKD, Smirnoff Ice etc works out to be €6. Guiness etc stays around €4.50 mark I think. WHY every one is coming over here I have no idea. More hitnicks than sense ;>
2008-05-18, 17:05
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I'de like to see this happen. I dont mind paying 5€ to participate
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-05-18, 17:52
231 posts

Jan 2006
Im in
2008-05-18, 21:02
227 posts

Mar 2007
2 years later...
2008-05-19, 09:26
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
5h17h34d wrote:
2 years later...

...and we are still here

remains a valid idea. 1st thing to do is to see if there's enough interest. So, if you are willing to participate, post here.

The next "duelmania" can be with prize money. imagine the advertising
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-05-19, 11:33
174 posts

Nov 2006
I think I could consider making this happend in the future, just need to study some possibilities for the payment.. Don't think this would be a hard thing to do. And ofc the first tournament should be with just a small amount of money as entrance fee so you could actually see how many players are willing to pay/pays in time. Muchos strict pingrules (server options should be listed) etc needed indeed.
2008-05-19, 16:24
569 posts

Feb 2006
Tbh, I think this would work better for FFA, where the lotto factor is bigger.

For the same reason people might pay to play Phil Ivey in poker, but wont pay to polevault against S. Bubka.
2008-05-19, 19:03
47 posts

Feb 2007
this is a great idea for a 1v1.
2008-05-20, 10:04
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
johnie wrote:
this is a great idea for a 1v1.

I agree. I've been thinking a bit about this and here's what i think:

Make it a regular 1on1 tournament, Duelmania like.
If you wanna play, you gotta pay Through paypal, you pay whatever you want, minimum 1€ - maximum 20€ - The destination will be a regular paypal account that will be used to transfer the prize money to the winners. I think the top 3 / top 5 are the ideal to win €€ - that way the winner/2nd place would earn a reasonable amount of money, raising the tournament's general interest.

Everyone should have an individual paypal account. Its fairly easy to make one - but if you have irl quake friends ofc you can gather and use the same paypal account for more than one person, just contact the admins and say "those 20€ from account xxx are from player a,b and c".

Some math:
If the average payment per player is 5€ and 100 players joined the comp, that would be 500€ - im being a bit optimistic here i guess. Impressive nonetheless.
1st 350€ 2nd 100€ 3rd 50€
for example.

Now the probable flamewar against this idea: The average player can say, and he's right:
"im gonna pay 5€ to play 2 games, 40min? that sucks, im not in!"
Well, this is a valid argument. I thought of something to minimize this: How about a second, paralel tournament? Kinda a "UEFA cup", were the losers up to round X from the "Champions Cup" are redirected? To play the uefa cup you have to be signed on Champions. Once again, a regular 1on1 tournament, with no prizes. Taking the example from ztndm3 showndown only players who drop the champions until round 4 of the loosers bracket can join the uefa.
Now this is just an alternative, since players pay, we gotta give him what they want. that is to play! And ofc, proper coverage, experienced admins, good advertise to non-qw sites.

The advantages of trying something like this are more than the dissavantages. If we could get a decent amount of signups, imagine the visibility and the interest towards this tournament. And the elite players finally have an opportunity to earn something with qw and have their name on the top gaming sites. (Well, besides dreamhack)

random thoughts:
The admins/ commentators to earn some cash for their hard work? Since this would be a "big" thing, these guys have extra work in newswriting, match previews and reviews and so on. I think they should get some extra motivation.

I have some specific ideas for the tournament itself, but first thing's first.

A tournament like this could start in October or November or something.

edit: that amount of prize money could motivate some comebacks. dag, def, pietro, reload, just to name a couple
2008-05-20, 10:49
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
mushi: Great idea! Maybe won't be that hard to get some smaller sponsorship either with like a banner on webpage, customized for Quake. Maybe the sponsor with some small amount of money, and they get a banner with: "Razer Deathadder 10% rebate through this link" or something. Might add some extra money to the pot, or to the admins.

And I agree, majority of the scene doesn't have a chance vs div0-div1 players, so a "Loosers bracket" or something is a must.
2008-05-20, 11:25
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Just do it.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-05-21, 09:56
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Just do it.

In time.

Since summer isnt the best time to decide things, i suggest to put my idea (2 posts back) on hold until September. Then, will start a poll to see if players are interested.

I hereby close this topic (i always wanted to say that)
2008-05-21, 10:45
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I'd regard summer as a good time to test new things, and do a sharp version of it when people get back.

Buuut whatever.
2008-05-21, 11:14
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
there's nothing to test
not on this tournament. just paypal - and thats pretty easy imo.

If u wanna help, i have an assigment to test for you. add me to msn jps@mail.pt
2008-05-21, 16:58
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
If you say so.
  45 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page