User panel stuff on forum
  24 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2006-07-16, 07:06
12 posts

Jun 2006
for many years i was using a setup that practically no one knew bout i guess and got a little negative feedback on it

a - jump
s - strafe left
f - fire
g - strafe right
mouse 2 - forward
mouse 1 - back

i switched over to

mouse 2 - jump
mouse 1 - fire

wasd

and is taking a little while to get used to but im gettin the hang of it

what is so much better with this setup then my old one? id like to see some of your guys movement setup as well just to get an idea. Thanks,

dan
-krauty
2006-07-16, 08:32
135 posts

Jan 2006
Just download some cfg's and you will see deferent setups.
MAGNUM 44
2006-07-16, 08:37
226 posts

Jun 2006
I think clicking as opposed to tapping the keyboard is easier because you know for sure when you click that you are going to jump. Sometimes you might tap the keyboard too lightly, but with my mouse just a little pressure sets off a click. But I guess if you are used to that and it worked for you, then it is fine. I think you might find the new set up feels more natural to you though because your movement is now easier to reach. I dunno though, all personal preference.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2006-07-16, 08:59
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
I think people who use the mouse buttons (namely right-click, since left-click is universal for +attack) for things you don't use ALL the time is a waste! The mouse is by far the best instrument you have; therefore you shouldn't waste on jump. It's true that you bunnyhop a lot, but you press +forward a lot more. my setup is left-click +attack right click +forward space +jump.
2006-07-16, 12:01
1754 posts

Jan 2006
w a s d=movement
space=jump
mouse1=rl/ssg
mouse2=shaft/boomstick
mouse3=gl/sng
mouse5=axe
2006-07-17, 23:44
200 posts

Apr 2006
a - +back
s - +moveleft
d - +moveright
mouse2 - +forward

mouse1 - fire

q r c t lalt lwinkey lshift - various weapons
2006-07-18, 09:07
59 posts

Jan 2006
t g r y=movement

space=jump

mouse1=rl

mouse2=shaft

d=gl

s=ssg

e = sng
2006-07-18, 11:16
129 posts

Mar 2006
numpad 8 4 5 6
mouse1 +attack
mouse2 +jump

I find it easier to rj with jump on mouse2
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-07-18, 16:29
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Most setups are quite similar so it boils down to preference and what you are used to.

Of course, if you are using something as convoluted as the first post, where you have to move your hand between such basic things as strafes and jumps, you will notice an immediate improvement when you switch over to a "standard" setup.

All in all, you should simply minimize the amount of physical movement you have to do (not counting pressing the actual keys) -- because extra movement only lowers your reflexes.

As for what to put on mouse buttons, that depends. My only concern with often-clicked items on mice would be the concern that mouse buttons wear off faster than keyboards. At least they used to. I wore off one of my mice back in the day in something like a month -- and it was only the right button (+forward) that was worn off, so I knew the cause.

But these days, mice are pretty sturdy (at least I haven't worn off any buttons yet), so I guess its personal preference. A high sensitivity (3-5 360-degree revolutions per mouspad) can help with various movements, but will hurt your aim a little bit. For killer aim, low sens (0.5-2 revs) will sacrifice your turning radius (and your carpal tunnel, because with low sens you actually have to pick your wrist up to "spin" the mouse when you need a tight turn). A good middle ground I've found is 2-3 revs per mousepad (or you can do what I did: 5.5 rev per mouspad, but a little script to halve that (to 2.75) when firing lightning gun. The con to this script is that LG/RL and RL/LG combos are not as effective)

For reference, my setup is:
m1 fire, m2 forward
shift - shaft
qwe - gl,rl,lg
asd - left,back,right
space - jump
mwheelup - +jump;wait;+attack
2006-07-18, 20:25
805 posts

Mar 2006
q = left
w = right
s = back
Rmouse = forward
Lmouse = attack
space = jump
a = shaft
tab = next weapon
caps = rocket
shift = grenade
d = sshotgun
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2006-07-18, 21:14
1754 posts

Jan 2006
who's the guy who taught his pinky to play quake? can't remember who but I remember the post...
2006-08-25, 05:18
810 posts

Jan 1970
Keyboard
=======
wasd - Movement
q - +movedown
e - +moveup
space - +jump
shift - +walk
ctrl - +zoom

Mouse
=====
mouse1 - +attack
mouse2 - +attack2
mouse3 - reload/other
mwheelup - impulse 10/next weapon
mwheeldown - impulse 12/prev weapon
2006-08-25, 08:27
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
Peppe wrote:
who's the guy who taught his pinky to play quake? can't remember who but I remember the post...

you don't use your pinky?
2006-10-16, 09:37
66 posts

Feb 2006
mouse2 = forward
alt gr = back
, = s left
. = s right
space = jump

sg = m
ssg = l
ng's = n
gl = b
rl = mouse1
shaft = mouse3

ez?

just use what you feel most comfortable with and make most of it
2006-10-16, 10:12
80 posts

Jan 2006
fix wrote:
mouse2 = forward
alt gr = back
, = s left
. = s right
space = jump

sg = m
ssg = l
ng's = n
gl = b
rl = mouse1
shaft = mouse3

ez?

just use what you feel most comfortable with and make most of it

Thought I was the only one who used that side of keyboard for movement.

M = back
, = strafe left
. = strafe right
space = jump
mouse2 = forward

rl K
lg Mouse3
sg mouse4
ssg N
gl L
2006-10-16, 11:49
22 posts

May 2006
Damn. You people have some strange bindings! Didn't know so many people use mouse2 for +forward and some don't even have movement buttons next to eachother on the keyboard....dudes, where u come up with that shit?

Me, I learned to play with arrow buttons, mouse1=attack, mouse2=jump, communcating thru qizmo voice, only having like one or two weapon binds because I was playing TF. Switching to DM meant like 100 more binds (weapons, team msgs) and having to think which button would say_team what I wanna say, but I kept my holy mouse intact, mouse2 for jumping babeeh!
:rolleyes:Makkara ja muusi, siivoappas suusi. Oon vähän *diun daun*[url=http://www.anttituisku.fi/ke
2006-10-16, 23:28
355 posts

Jun 2006
E = forward
S = left
D = back
F = right
mouse2 = jump

Older setup
mouse2 = forward
, = left
. = right
/ = back
right ctrl = jump
2006-10-17, 06:51
637 posts

Jan 2006
ROFL @ that last wicked old setup man, that's truly awesome you managed to play on that!

I won't be inventive, WSAD + mouse2 jump ftw
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2006-10-17, 12:28
59 posts

Jan 2006
t - forward
g - back
r - left
y - right
space - jump
2006-10-17, 12:56
247 posts

Jan 2006
W forward
S backward
A moveleft
D moveright

E jump
2006-10-17, 14:00
News Writer
436 posts

Jan 2006
U forward
J backward
H left
k right

Mouse1 rl
Mouse2 jump
mouse3 lg,ssg,ng,sg
altgr gl
windows key sng

I think the most different is if u are a "space" jumper or "mouse" jumper. Myself prefer mouse because u can do rj better.
2006-10-17, 14:37
87 posts

Oct 2006
szxc (jump,left,back,right)
mouse1 (attack)
mouse2 (mforward)
mouse3 (shaft or sg)
space (switch to GL)
crtl (switch to RL)

Iv'e been thinking of moving the shaft to a key instead. I find that having such an
important weapon like the shaft on mouse3/wheel makes me too dependent on the
ergonomics of the mouse a (placing and pressure resistence of the wheel). I've tried
out just about any mouse on the market and sometimes find that the shaft doesn't work
out, or that reaching the wheel compromises grip. Then again perhaps I should also
consider converting to "wasd" with jump on mouse2 too, like most people are using.

Been pondering this question for nine years. Help!

Regards,
PaRadiZer
2006-10-17, 16:28
59 posts

Jan 2006
just practice with different setups PaRadiZer nobody can help u find the best setup for u.
2006-10-22, 16:51
151 posts

Feb 2006
yup, practicing and trying out setups is by far the easiest way to find the best one for you. Ive been playing for 10 years and my setup has changed loads over the years and my skillbase improves and i need to alter my setup to suit. My latest change was moving the jump function to the mouse2 button when i became competant at bunnyhopping, mainly because I found it easier.

People use all kinds of setups and it is only personal preference. Nothing more and nothing less. If you want to move you shaft key/button then do so, and if you find you lose grip of the mouse thats fine. If you can get along with it then use it and if you dont like the feel then ditch the idea. Play around until you find something that feel great and stick to it.

If you try and get all scientific then you are being too fussy, but all the function you need to perform should feel natural and as effortless to complete as possible, and when its like that you know you have it set up your way.

for reference:

wasd - movement
shift - swing the axe

mouse1 - fire rl
mouse2 - jump
tilt mousewheel left - sg
tilt mousewheel right - ssg
dpi + button (just below wheel) - gl
dpi - button (just below the plus) - nails
side button - _point

space - hold to change mouse1 from rl to lg.

and i use the g5 so you can understand the buttons im talking about.
bd
  24 posts on 1 page  1