User panel stuff on forum
  98 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
General Discussion
2006-07-29, 18:59
4 posts

Jul 2006
there stands nothing against clean-room implementations of the maps with exactly the same geometry, but just better lighting and better floor, wall and ceiling decorations
I never meant something like q3 to q4 dm6 port where proportions and so on changed.
2006-07-29, 19:01
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
oh, I see. I think that may be very possible when romero releases the .maps. but what about backwards compatibility?
2006-07-29, 19:04
4 posts

Jul 2006
The only backward compatibility issue would be changed maps as everything else is changeable without breaking compatibility. You can replace models, sounds and textures on will and everyone will stay happy. That would be an issue of downloading an updated map pack. With today's bandwidth if it changed the look without changing the gameplay it shouldn't be a blocker if it could attract new players IMO.

The problem with the maps is that they can only win a brick award from today's player as the common player judges by look and only then by gameplay
2006-09-03, 11:30
810 posts

Jan 1970
the netcode is pretty dated ):
2006-09-05, 22:47
8 posts

Apr 2006
Up2nOgOoD[ROCK wrote:
']oh, I see. I think that may be very possible when romero releases the .maps. but what about backwards compatibility?

I believe you can convert the maps (.bsp to .map). Wouldn't that work the same? However it would be pretty hard to modify them and add stuff to make them look better without in any way alter the gameplay. Adding any "blocks" means you can get stuck on them or use them for jumps and stuff. Other than slicing walls to make textures more diverse and play with lights I dont think you can do much.

Anyway, there's a program called WinBSP that can do it. http://cs-mapping.com.ua/tools/winbsp13.zip
2006-09-06, 00:07
271 posts

Feb 2006
Up2nOgOoD[ROCK wrote:
']oh, I see. I think that may be very possible when romero releases the .maps. but what about backwards compatibility?

The map source was to be released, the texture artwork was not. Servers will reject such maps. You'd need to use different map names. The alternatives are too unreliable.

If you're crazy, FTE has a gl_schematics cvar, which shows you all the distances between stuff in an ultra funky way, but recreating a map that way is going to take you quite some time...
moo
2006-09-23, 18:55
3 posts

Sep 2006
Last time I read posts like this about updating QW, was a year or so before Q£ came out times have moved on

Less need to edit cfg files, instead being able to get a good start setup done Via a game menu and advance1/2 menus would improve things.
My 10 cents
2006-09-23, 20:00
1026 posts

Feb 2006
the only thing that pisses me off is the command line.

the command line drives new people off for sure.. especially when you can't switch resolutions on the fly
god damn hippies >_<
2006-09-24, 00:08
1754 posts

Jan 2006
true, that stuff sucks
and especially the -ruleset smackdown-part
2006-09-24, 07:36
1100 posts

Jan 2006
fqstart, ezstart to get rid of the commandline?
fteqw to switch resolution on the fly?
2006-09-24, 07:57
637 posts

Jan 2006
FTE still lacks much documentation and is pretty much unplayable for QW :\
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2006-09-24, 09:47
1026 posts

Feb 2006
and has more bugs than Windows ME
god damn hippies >_<
2006-09-24, 22:36
1754 posts

Jan 2006
I played a duel in FTE, it wasn't that bad except for the shaftbeam... ok I lost but I would've lost vs mooseman anyway
2006-09-24, 23:14
129 posts

Mar 2006
From a mapping point of view the only additions I'd like to see would be brushs that rotate on an axis, implementation of real time lighting (i believe that qw has too many light sources which is why tenebrae and the like don't run so well could quake engine be adapted? maps redone to support RT lighting?) and special effects, as in particle effects that can be used in levels eg:
http://half-life.cleverweb.cz/img/rescascade_full.jpg

Upgrading sounds for levels and weapons would probably make a big difference and a high poly player model.

As for atracting players, CS was a mod that made it big, same with TF is there no way to make QW accessible to the masses? A tier system aka q3 arena, the game gets gradually harder? New mods built on an upgraded engine? A steam style setup with news updates, game updates, movie releases etc

It would be a shame to see quake die but the masses want pick up and play, no-one seems to care that time and effort can give greater rewards, welcome to the modern world
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-09-24, 23:39
129 posts

Mar 2006
Watched couple o TF2 trailers, same game I remember but done in a cartoony fashion. The map used for the trailers was 2fort, the first TF map but at first glance you wouldn't have known because it looks so graphically different...Could't the same be done with QW, change it's look completely but sneakily leave the game exactally the same...Create one package that has everything setup, one set of keys, one hud, a selection of crosshairs, no cmdline, no need for console and then ask valve to stick it on steam. One version of qw that is pick up and play and the rest of us stay as we are /sensitivity
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-09-25, 11:58
129 posts

Mar 2006
pek wrote:
wouldnt it be easier to just mod some modern game QW-like?

Couldn't a qw:source mod be done for HL2? valve supply all the tools you need, surely it wouldn't be too difficult?
If the core of the game stays the same physics, weapon balance etc would it not still be qw? HL2 would just give the much needed new engine as well as the benefits of a steam release, surely qw numbers would soar, released to the masses?

There already a huge ammout of work done, q1 retextured, md3 models etc

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Building_MODs_with_Valve_Technology
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-09-25, 14:09
637 posts

Jan 2006
rofl not a chance, it will never have a QW feel on a different engine :
2006-09-25, 14:39
129 posts

Mar 2006
goqsane wrote:

not just a matter of porting qwprogs? replicate the physics?
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-09-26, 09:49
231 posts

Jan 2006
errr more maps for what??? there are so many good maps... more then 500 good ones... just select some of then, why should mapper again waste months to make a proper quality map for nobody to play then? i now 4on4 maps that are not good they are excelent!

go find then :p i can help u out in that mather!!!
2006-09-26, 11:01
637 posts

Jan 2006
DD wrote:
goqsane wrote:

not just a matter of porting qwprogs? replicate the physics?

Nothing, and I truly believe nothing can replicate the QW 'feeling'
2006-09-26, 12:06
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Y N07 US TEH DooM³ 3NG1N3????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ID SOFTWARE R TEH G0D5!

Seriously, QW lives just because it is exactly what it is. Fast, perfect, kinda ugly (plain. I love the look.). No-one ever will be able to re-create that.

Baker summed most things up very well in the second post in this topic.
2006-09-26, 23:13
113 posts

Apr 2006
DD wrote:
pek wrote:

Couldn't a qw:source mod be done for HL2?

Isn't there a source mod of "Deathmatch Classic" ?

Also, not all games released through Steam is based on the HalfLife2 engine so there's probably nothing that prevents getting ezQuake in there =)
biomass
2006-09-27, 00:14
85 posts

May 2006
but quake's physics are soo simple... all you'd need is an engine flexible enough, no?
2006-09-27, 00:20
129 posts

Mar 2006
biomass wrote:
DD wrote:
pek wrote:

Couldn't a qw:source mod be done for HL2?

Isn't there a source mod of "Deathmatch Classic" ?

Also, not all games released through Steam is based on the HalfLife2 engine so there's probably nothing that prevents getting ezQuake in there =)

I think deathmatch classic is based on netquake not quakeworld...
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-09-27, 13:50
447 posts

Jan 2006
avx wrote:
And, overall, the feel of the single player game needs to change. The levels need to all be redone - the monsters need botlike AI and need to be strategically placed. Torches and electronics need to be mutually exclusive - when was the last time you lit a lantern in order to see in your room before you sat down at the computer?

Stop blaspheming.
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-09-27, 14:48
1100 posts

Jan 2006
/me humps ui <3
2006-09-29, 15:04
192 posts

Mar 2006
Two questions:

1)Do we really want to make Quakeworld Mainstream, or @ least more popular?
We got our leagues, we got enough teams, we got enough players. We play already 2-3 pracs a week. We got a FFA Server which is always full.
You really missing something?

2) In my opinion, the way to capture more players and make the whole thing refreshing are: ttattataa: NEW MAPS
No noob clan can ever win against a Div5 Team on Dm3, because ( the never get Quad, they never even get weapons or armors) and Dm3 was played in last week for 30040485009 times.

So give new clans, new chances. Lets intoduce a new map. Lets say we build together the perfect community Bonus Pack. With the help of all Div1 players and a good Leveldesigner we should at least make 1 !! new 4v4 and 1v1 map. And all thoughts are welcome, and the whole community can beta test it, and can write the critics in the forum.

This is in my opinion the only way to make Teamgames refreshing, and not, new Textures, no console, more sounds, more fansites.
New Maps is the secret for longlivity and constantly new players and teams.
2006-09-29, 18:40
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Why make new maps when there are so great ones already? Take Enraged by Jago as a recent 4on4 map. And there are loads of 1on1 maps out there. The QW scene should just play those maps somewhen. The same maps over and over again are boring. But maybe that "playing to perfection" is what makes QW so special?
2006-09-30, 17:21
85 posts

May 2006
spirit: agree with the "playing to perfection" comment.

There are some great custom maps out there, and even more maps that would become playable through tweaking the item placement.. which got me thinking.. how hard would it be to implement into KTX a way of moving items to different locations?? ie. trick the server into thinking an item is at a different x,y,z position to the original .bsp?? Possible? Modified maps anyone?
2006-09-30, 17:25
637 posts

Jan 2006
You see, I would compare QuakeWorld to Formula 1, why do the drivers race on the same tracks over and over?

Because you can never get perfect on them, you always learn something new, same goes to TB3 in QW :>
  98 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page