User panel stuff on forum
  39 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2006-07-13, 12:42
1754 posts

Jan 2006
no, it wouldn't
too many "master" bunnyhopping and aiming so newbies will always get raped in the beginning
up to them to stay and get better or just delete qw
2006-07-13, 13:21
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
deurk wrote:
Yeah but if QW was newbie friendly too, it woudl be more played IMO.

I agree, but wouldn't removing fundamental concepts of the game (say bunnyhopping for example) turn it into something we don't like? QW should get more newbie friendly in the aspect that it needs to be very easy to setup, launch and get into the gibfests. I think the various eQuake packages has helped this but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Most people don't like QW i guess, or they're playing the newer games because they wanna follow the "E-sports" thingie.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-07-13, 14:39
950 posts

Apr 2006
Might be, or maybe because it isn't as hard
2006-07-13, 14:59
129 posts

Mar 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Most people don't like QW i guess, or they're playing the newer games because they wanna follow the "E-sports" thingie.

xbox360, ps3, wii, kids want joypads and headsets so they can shout "you newbie fuck" at their mates.
Pick up n play is the future, sad but true.

Metalica roolz!!
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-07-14, 19:38
810 posts

Jan 1970

part of QW is the "having to guess how much health/armour your opponent has left", and really, its not that difficult after playing for awhile.. you'll start getting good at prediction and just know that you hit them. Its part of the learning curve and needs to stay as it is!
2006-07-28, 08:52
13 posts

Apr 2006
Personally, I think its preference and QW is all about feeding into preferences. It's not like CS where you can't even use a different video mode without people crying hax. I think that toggle-able with default off would be perfectly acceptable. If a certain subsect of players want to play with hitsounds, why should you prevent them? Not everyones trying to win NQR or whatever here. Some of us just want to have some fun with friends.

As for the actual implentation, its as easy as editing T_Damage in combat.qc. I've done it before in FBCA's source on request from some friends.

if (targ != attacker) {
msg_entity = attacker;
if (targ.health >= 100)
stuffcmd("play hit25.wav\n";
else if (targ.health >=75)
stuffcmd("play hit25.wav\n";
else if (targ.health >=50)
stuffcmd("play hit75.wav\n";
else
stuffcmd("play hit100.wav\n";
}

This plays sound based on how much HP they have left. It's obviously cheaty and lowers the skill, and I'd hate to see that used in competition, but if thats how my friends (or I) want to play when we're messing around with each other or bots, then let us.

I don't think anything that lowers the required skill should be enabled by default in KTX/Quake in general, but this huge skillgap+learning curve is why so many people won't play quake. Most of my CS team doesn't even bother playing me 1on1 because I'd destroy them. I don't bother playing 1on1 against the real pros because they'd destroy me.

With this same reasoning, I'm also in favor of a teamplay hud, seperated deathmsgs, match timers, etc. All optional/default off, but all availabel for those that are playing with people that arn't seriously competing.
2006-07-28, 09:12
1011 posts

Feb 2006
stuffcmd wtf?

surely you'd want something like

precache_sound ("hitsounds/hit100.wav";
sound (self ,CHAN_WEAPON, "hitsounds/hit100.wav", 1, ATTN_NORM);

2006-07-28, 09:52
13 posts

Apr 2006
oldman wrote:
stuffcmd wtf?

surely you'd want something like

precache_sound ("hitsounds/hit100.wav";
sound (self ,CHAN_WEAPON, "hitsounds/hit100.wav", 1, ATTN_NORM);

It's been a while since I've looked at it/wrote that, but with sound wouldn't that be audible to everyone? I want sound that plays at the origin of the attacker and is only audible to the attacker.

I did have the same reaction to having to use stuffcmd though, its such an ugly way to do it but does work surprisingly well for my use (I'm sureit'd get bad on a full server with lots of spamming)
2006-07-28, 10:03
1011 posts

Feb 2006
good point about others hearing it
  39 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page