Advanced Configuration
2006-06-13, 18:42
121 posts

May 2006
i've been using these settings for many years now

cl_backspeed "200"
cl_forwardspeed "200"
cl_sidespeed "350"

and altough i've got a real good speedjumping action.. i feel like that values might be the answer to why i've been trying to do some tricks without sucess.. found it real hard to do shaft > tele on dm4 from the middle and really did it for the first time ( some two other times later ) yesterday, when i changed my forwadingspeed value up to a high generic value like 999 . . i know these settings are limited to 320 , right ? ... but well ... if i do use "200" or "320" i can't really notice any difference on speed.. are those relative commands or , i'll be actually slower if i do use a lower value ?

i just would like to know .. from you guys... specially those that can do a nice job in maps like Ztricks, way2ez, way2ez2.. wich is the best settings in order to get best / faster moviments ..

cya
. - - -- Words are stones in my Mouth.. -- - - . [url=http://profile.xfire.com/katataniel][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/katataniel
2006-06-13, 18:46
1754 posts

Jan 2006
what's the max on forwardspeed anyway?
2006-06-13, 19:08
121 posts

May 2006
as far as i know its normally limited to 320 on online servers
. - - -- Words are stones in my Mouth.. -- - - . [url=http://profile.xfire.com/katataniel][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/katataniel
2006-06-13, 19:53
55 posts

Mar 2006
fateful, do you use +speed? if so, all your movementspeedvalues are doubled. maybe that's why you sense no difference
2006-06-13, 20:20
1011 posts

Feb 2006
this comes up everytime the board dies and gets resurrected good thing i have it archived

Tonik wrote:
I'll try to explain. To make it easier, let's assume you don't use +speed because "+speed in the config is lame" © Tonik.

if the server caps the speed at 320, then any cl_*speed values greater or equal to 320 are identical, BUT only if you're holding just one of the +move buttons.

If you're pressing +forward or +back AND +moveleft or +moveright simultaneously, the direction you're moving depends on the cl_forward(back)speed / cl_sidespeed ratio. The velocity is the same, but the direction differs. That is because the engine first calculates the velocity vector, and only then scales it so that its length is <= 320.

The one extreme setting is cl_forwardspeed 508, cl_sidespeed 320, the second is cl_forwardspeed 320, cl_sidespeed 508. Any values higher 508 are identical to 508 (508 = 127*4 if you're wondering) * see note

Just try the first and the second and see how it affects your strafe-jumping and strafe-running. A little testing saves a lot of explanation

NB: I believe Vic later proved that 508 wasn't the highest value as the rounding wasn't done until after the calculation had taken place so it still played a part in the ratio - i don't have the code to hand atm
2006-06-13, 20:38
121 posts

May 2006
vleesch wrote:
fateful, do you use +speed? if so, all your movementspeedvalues are doubled. maybe that's why you sense no difference

i do use +speed... shouldn't I ?

oldman wrote:
this comes up everytime the board dies and gets resurrected good thing i have it archived

Tonik wrote:
I'll try to explain. To make it easier, let's assume you don't use +speed because "+speed in the config is lame" © Tonik.

if the server caps the speed at 320, then any cl_*speed values greater or equal to 320 are identical, BUT only if you're holding just one of the +move buttons.

If you're pressing +forward or +back AND +moveleft or +moveright simultaneously, the direction you're moving depends on the cl_forward(back)speed / cl_sidespeed ratio. The velocity is the same, but the direction differs. That is because the engine first calculates the velocity vector, and only then scales it so that its length is <= 320.

The one extreme setting is cl_forwardspeed 508, cl_sidespeed 320, the second is cl_forwardspeed 320, cl_sidespeed 508. Any values higher 508 are identical to 508 (508 = 127*4 if you're wondering) * see note

Just try the first and the second and see how it affects your strafe-jumping and strafe-running. A little testing saves a lot of explanation

NB: I believe Vic later proved that 508 wasn't the highest value as the rounding wasn't done until after the calculation had taken place so it still played a part in the ratio - i don't have the code to hand atm

thanx dude... gonna make some tests on those two values ... and see how it works out for me..

would like to see JSS config's though....
2006-06-15, 15:10
121 posts

May 2006
well i just set cl_forwardspeed 320 and cl_sidespeed 999 .... but still using +speed.. my cl_backspeed still 200... and if I do set -speed... i'll will never reach a higher value than than by pressing "+back" aside from that .... do + or - speed affect anything else ? is it slower for me to reach 320 by pressing forward when i'm -speed ? really can't notice that...

how many of you don't use it ?
2006-06-16, 17:32
68 posts

May 2006
i changed a while ago to side 508 / forward and back 320 and it felt quite better to bunnyhop, it seems that i came out with a smoother bunnyhop with those values, never used ultrahigh values like 99999 (and as tonik said, it doesnt matter, all sidespeed > 508 its = to 508)

about +speed or -speed settings: doesnt change anything for me... both settings came out with the same result
2006-06-16, 23:27
151 posts

Feb 2006
omg! just tried those settings and now i can do the rl > quad on dm2 easy and the lg > gl ledge on dm4! omg.

thanks for the nfo
bd
2006-06-17, 01:28
85 posts

May 2006
"would like to see JSS config's though...."

doesnt JSS uses 72fps? and afaik one floats in the air more with less fps? incidently ive been using physfps 72 in ezquake for this reason ;p

"NB: I believe Vic later proved that 508 wasn't the highest value as the rounding wasn't done until after the calculation had taken place so it still played a part in the ratio - i don't have the code to hand atm"

reeeally? id love to see this proof ;D

my values are:
cl_forwardspeed 350
cl_backspeed 350
cl_sidespeed 508

id keep trying 320 for forward/backspeed but kept finding 350 more to my liking... *shrug* probably just personal preference..
2006-12-23, 22:18
35 posts

Mar 2006
on the contrary, less fps, less floating
winners don't lose frogs
2006-12-25, 18:18
364 posts

Oct 2006
seanos wrote:
"NB: I believe Vic later proved that 508 wasn't the highest value as the rounding wasn't done until after the calculation had taken place so it still played a part in the ratio - i don't have the code to hand atm"

reeeally? id love to see this proof ;D

Vic showed that there's a "feature" in cl_input.c where it will use half the *speed value for one frame after a movement button is pressed. The effect is very small at 72 fps; I don't think you'll ever notice the difference. You can try for yourself with a "blind test" using the $rand macro.

But it won't matter in a couple of weeks as today I committed a patch to ezQuake cvs that removes this 'feature', so starting from the next ezQ build there will actually be absolutely no difference 508 or > 508.
2007-01-01, 18:24
252 posts

Dec 2006
if you use side 320 and back/forward 508 without +speed then strafe running drops by ~50 speed units from 400~420 to 360~380
also i cant see a change in direction with +forward and +moveright going simultaneously, whatever values i try. so i think it may be something more subtle.
incidentally cl_forwardspeed 9999999 (or something) makes you go backward, what in the code causes this?
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
  13 posts on 1 page  1