playing games but I'd like to give it a shot and see
for myself. I use a pstwo joypad for playing some games
on my pc usually on emulators with games like
streetfighter and mario kart 64 etc. I use a Rockfire
PSX to PC USB Bridge to accomplish this. I've been
trying to get it to work with ezquake by entering
'joystick 1' in the console but it doesn't seem to make
any difference. I'd like to use one of the joysticks on
the pstwo analog joypad for sight and one for movement.
Essentially one joystick would be doing the work of the
mouse. Can this be done? Input appreciated.
2006-05-28, 00:04
116 posts

Mar 2006
Imo a joypad is too slow if you want to aim fast. It cant work as an ordinary joypad if it supposed to work. It has to be calibrated so that full deflection means a 180 turn and half deflection means 90. Dont know if thats possible.
2006-05-28, 00:51
11 posts

May 2006
but it does work. have you ever used a joypad on a console fps? socom on pstwo for example works perfectly.
2006-05-28, 09:51
59 posts

Mar 2006
ezQuake/fuhquake have no joystick support afaik.
2006-05-28, 10:11
1011 posts

Feb 2006
no they do

you just have to add '-joystick' to your cmdline, support is disabled by default to save resources (as most people don't use it)
2006-05-28, 13:59
11 posts

May 2006
yeah i've tried that and dinput. the target for the shortcut reads "C:\Program Files\quake\ezquake-gl.exe" -width 1024x768 -bpp 32 -joystick -dinput - i tried playing quake as soon as i added those to the command line and there was no response from the joypad. then i went into customize controls to see if i had to press the buttons i want for the keys and move the analog sticks for movement. still no response. any other ideas folks?
2006-05-28, 14:27
1011 posts

Feb 2006
do you get 'joystick detected' in your console upon startup?

did you set the cvar 'joystick' to 1? (you can add '+joystick 1' to commandline or type it in console) in order to actually use the joystick input?
2006-05-28, 14:44
11 posts

May 2006
oldman wrote:
do you get 'joystick detected' in your console upon startup?

did you set the cvar 'joystick' to 1? (you can add '+joystick 1' to commandline or type it in console) in order to actually use the joystick input?

progress!

ok i'm getting 'joystick detected' in the console upon startup. i entered +joystick 1 into the console. I started the game and tried all the keys, the two analog sticks on the joypad and also the cursor keys on the joypad but there is still no response in game. I also went into customize controls and pressed the buttons on the joypad i wanted to use for shooting and jump etc and there's no response from quake when i press them. also in customize control under movement i moved the analog sticks and cursor keys on the joypad but there's still no response. we're close!
2006-05-28, 14:52
11 posts

May 2006
further progress!

i'm using the ezquake starter. i've entered -joystick -dinput +joystick 1 under 'other stuff' in the options menu. it now detects the buttons i enter for shoot change weapon and jump. when i play the game it's allowing me to control sight with the left analog stick. movement is still up in the air. ideally one of the analog sticks would be for sight and the other for movement. can we accomplish this? i can almost taste it. your help is greatly appreciated
2006-05-28, 15:55
1011 posts

Feb 2006
you have to tweak the following variables to define which axis maps to what

joyadvaxisx - controls mapping of DirectInput axis X (typically joystick left and right)
joyadvaxisy - controls mapping of DirectInput axis Y (typically joystick forward and backward)
joyadvaxisz - controls mapping of DirectInput axis Z (typically joystick throttle)
joyadvaxisr - controls mapping of DirectInput axis R (typically joystick rudder)
joyadvaxisu - controls mapping of DirectInput axis U (custom axis - Assassin 3D trackball left and right and SpaceOrb roll)
joyadvaxisv - controls mapping of DirectInput axis V (custom axis - Assassin 3D trackball forward and backward and SpaceOrb yaw)

Then each joyadvaxis variable can be set to the following controls:
0 = Axis not used
1 = Axis is for forward and backward movement
2 = Axis is for looking up and down (pitch)
3 = Axis is for side to side movement
4 = Axis is for turning left and right (yaw)
5 = Axis is for up and down movement

something like the following might be appropriate for your requirement

joyadvaxisx 3
joyadvaxisy 2
joyadvaxisz 1
joyadvaxisr 4
joyadvaxisu 0
joyadvaxisv 0
2006-05-28, 16:54
11 posts

May 2006
i googled those variables to find out more info on them and i came across this...

The joyadvanced variable must be set first.

0: Axis not used
1: Used for forward and backward movement
2: Pitch
3: Sideways movement
4: Yaw

*Add 16 to the number to make it a relative movement.

before reading your edit i entered 0 through 4 for joyadvaxisu, joyadvaxisv, joyadvaxisx, joyadvaxisy and joyadvaxisz without entering joyadvanced first and then after entering joyadvanced first. after entering each variable 1 through 4 i moved both analogue sticks around and there was no difference or reaction in game. the only time there was a difference was when i didn't enter any of the joyadvaxis variables and on starting the game in the console window entered joyadvanced 1 and joyadvancedupdate. this made the left analogue stick now control forward and backward movement and yaw. this is almost how i want it except i want the left analogue stick to control forward and backward movement and left and right movement instead of yaw. the right analogue stick is still inactive which i want to control sight.

*i couldn't make any sense of this add 16 reference. is it relative?
2006-05-28, 17:04
11 posts

May 2006
i read this online:

joyadvancedupdate

Type: Operation

Description: Initialize the joystick's advanced features.

Note: It is necessary to issue this command after making any changes to the other joystick commands. This command will initialize all of the settings.

i'll try entering some variables for the axis and then entering joyadvanced update!
2006-05-28, 18:06
11 posts

May 2006
okay i entered the following for the left analogue stick

joyadvaxisy 1
joyadvaxisx 3

and the following for the right analogue stick

joyadvaxisz 2
joyadvaxisr 4

and then

joyadvancedupdate

to initialize all of the settings. this works perfectly allowing me to control forward, backward and sideways movement with the left analogue stick and pitch and yaw with the right analogue stick respectively. there is now only one problem remaining, when i steer left on the left analogue stick in game i move right and when i steer right with the left analogue stick i move left. there must be some way to invert this?
2006-05-28, 18:44
11 posts

May 2006
joysidesensitivity was set to -1 and i changed it 1 and it all works fine now, thanks for all the help oldman!
2006-05-28, 19:22
129 posts

Mar 2006
have you managed to get a frag yet?
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-05-28, 19:38
1011 posts

Feb 2006
glad you got it working spitfier, might write up a FAQ entry for this - or something for ezquake docs
2006-05-29, 16:46
11 posts

May 2006
yup i've gotten a few frags, very few but a few none the less!
2006-05-29, 21:39
11 posts

May 2006
everyone's saying that i'll never match the speed of sight of an analogue joypad stick with that of a mouse. let us now play devil's advocate and set the sensitivity of the right stick (sight) yaw and pitch to match that of a mouse... what's the command? i'm convinced i can move my thumb faster than my entire wrist.

"don't believe everything you read alazay and weed"
2009-06-03, 00:28
1 post

Jun 2009
sorry for been a complete numpty, but i have just come across this thread from google as I am having the same issue where the joypad works but only for movement not for yaw/pitch.

Could someone please tell me where you enter/change the variable stated in the previous posts so I can also enable this?

Help Much Appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, no don't worry I found the config.cfg file where the lines have to go
There's the answer if anyone else is stuck with this one!
quake\id1\config.cfg
  19 posts on 1 page  1